Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo Gen 3 not mounting MacbookPro 15inch
03-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Drobo Gen 3 not mounting MacbookPro 15inch
HI,

My Drobo is being detected with my old Lap top which has USB 2.

I’ve checked in my system information sheet and it seems my new Mac has both USB 3 & 2 but Drobo won’t mount on either.

What about my USB 3 Drivers am I supposed to look into or fix?

Would it be possible to fix the issue using the thunderbolt or HDMI cable? if so what kind of conections is the side that connects direct to Drobo, Firewire?

Thanks again for the help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2016, 04:45 PM
RE: Drobo Gen 3 not mounting MacbookPro 15inch
hi alfred0 the connection on the gen3 is a usb (usb3 but should be compatible with a lower usb as well)

do you have any other usb cables (usb 3 or 2) that you could try testing to see if it helps?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-17-2016, 11:07 AM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

My Problem can't be the cable because its working fine on my older Mac. All lights on Drobo are ok.

I've tried Rebooting both Drobo and Mac, reinstalling Dashboard, Cleaning up my system. It's not even visible in Disk Utility.

I've been using Drobo for about 2 years now with my older mac and bought this new one precisely because I wanted the faster performance with USB 3.

Could there be a migration problem since I used Time Machine to configure my new Mac? Could my Drobo have been misconfigured to only work with USB 2 now?
03-17-2016, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2016 02:42 PM by Paul.)
thanks for more info,
would you be able to try the drobo on the other mac (the one which was working before), just to make sure that it is still working fine there?

then, if all is ok there, maybe reinstalling dashboard onto the new mac can help. (you might need to fully uninstall, reboot, and then reinstall again).....but first, please can you check to see if the new computer is allowing dashboard services to work with the right permissions and firewall access?
there is some firewall info here that may help too:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01863
& here:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01820

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-17-2016, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2016 07:29 PM by alfred0.)
Thank you again Paul,

I followed the instructions on the first link and changed the firewall settings to allow DDService64d, reinstalled Dashboard, rebooted everything twice and still nothing. Still not in Disk Utility, finder or anywhere else.

Drobo is still however working fine on my older mac. I managed to get some work done this afternoon. Thankfully.

What else can I do?

Cheers,
Also, Finder preferences is allowing to view external disks.
Im not sure about the firmware. I've dowloaded the latest version but what I'm getting is a file with a .tdf extension. Not a Zip nor a .dmg
03-21-2016, 10:32 AM
hi alfredo, i just posted on your other post Smile
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

i know you said you already tried the cable on the other drobo (which is usb 2) but please can you also try another cable here as well, just to help eliminate it?

04-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Paul, on all occasions you suggest changing the cables. But I think this has to do with Max OSX 10.11.14
Once that update was added USB3 support on Drobo units stopped.
I have the same problem.
I've submitted to DroboCare and I'm waiting on their reply.
I tried upgrading to 10.11.15 beta and it did not solve the problem.

DroboDashboard reports 100% ok on all counts.
The drive PASSES fsck on OSX
What it doesn't do is mount.

D
04-15-2016, 05:57 PM
thanks dan you might be right and its more software than cable
(sorry, i guess having seen lots of issue fixes where people had a cable issue, and having experienced cable issues myself before, i tend to see the cable as a potential culprit, seemingly guilty until proven innocent) Big Grin

(funnily enough, the usb3 cable which came with my new 5D which i set-up recently, had a very very tight fitting, and would not work at all with the 5D, nor with the drobo-S.... in the end i had to use the usb cable from my existing drobo-S with the 5D, and now need to get another usb 3 cable so that i can use both at the same time)

hopefully support can help find what is the actual culprit for your current issue, though please do let us know how things go.

btw, jason is checking about the firmware version on the other post alfred0

07-13-2016, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2016 12:05 PM by cbetta.)
Having the same issue here with a Drobo Gen 3 :/. It works fine under Windows on an old Lenovo I have but not on Mac OS X. Tried on a few machines.
07-13-2016, 08:19 PM
hi cbetta,
can i check if your drobo gen3 (which has been working fine on windows), was first set up on windows (with a filesystem such as ntfs) and that it still currently has windows ntfs data that you are trying to access via your mac?