Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo Gen 2 drive capacity
03-15-2016, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2016 06:06 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo Gen 2 drive capacity
thanks ray, its good news that the drive passed in that test.

how does the following sound to you?
- to put the newly tested (and successfully tested drive) back into drobo, into i believe the 4th slot.
- to wait for it to be accepted into the disk pack (and to wait at least 15mins)
(please can you now save me a screenshot of the screen which shows the drive bays and usage info, to upload to imgur or similar - remembering to rub out any sensitive serial numbers before uploading, and to paste a link to it here?)

- essentially, to then copy all your data onto a 5th (separate) drive (such as another external usb drive or your main computer as a backup), and to check that the copied data is ok. (this step is optional, but is best for peace of mind if possible)

- then, to get the "used" space down to below 89% used. (if you already have made the backup of your data, then you could simply delete some large files from the drobo and to wait until the dashboard has finished reclaiming the free blocks of space, which should be approximately the same as the amount of data that you freed up)
(if you did not make the backup above, then please do make a mini backup of these actual files, that you temporarily delete, if needed to free up space)

- to then try setting up the new volume via dashboard as you did above.
(as far as i can tell it should work, but in case not, you might need to fully shutdown the drobo via dashboard and then to fully reboot the computer once more before trying the new volume setup again)

are you ok with these suggestions ray? Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2016, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2016 09:45 AM by ray@rcoxgardenphotos.co.uk.)
(03-15-2016 06:04 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks ray, its good news that the drive passed in that test.

how does the following sound to you?
- to put the newly tested (and successfully tested drive) back into drobo, into i believe the 4th slot.
- to wait for it to be accepted into the disk pack (and to wait at least 15mins)
(please can you now save me a screenshot of the screen which shows the drive bays and usage info, to upload to imgur or similar - remembering to rub out any sensitive serial numbers before uploading, and to paste a link to it here?)

- essentially, to then copy all your data onto a 5th (separate) drive (such as another external usb drive or your main computer as a backup), and to check that the copied data is ok. (this step is optional, but is best for peace of mind if possible)

- then, to get the "used" space down to below 89% used. (if you already have made the backup of your data, then you could simply delete some large files from the drobo and to wait until the dashboard has finished reclaiming the free blocks of space, which should be approximately the same as the amount of data that you freed up)
(if you did not make the backup above, then please do make a mini backup of these actual files, that you temporarily delete, if needed to free up space)

- to then try setting up the new volume via dashboard as you did above.
(as far as i can tell it should work, but in case not, you might need to fully shutdown the drobo via dashboard and then to fully reboot the computer once more before trying the new volume setup again)

are you ok with these suggestions ray? Smile

Thanks for the detailed suggestion Paul.

Since having the new drive tested a few days ago I returned it to the 4th bay and have been using the Drobo since. Didn't have much choice as need to keep working.

Before I take any action I'd be grateful if you'd take a look at the Dashboard drive info here: http://imgur.com/6KAEzqh. I don't have sufficient understanding to know what the data and backup space should be for this drive array but am nevertheless surprised it is reporting only 12% free space, especially when there are only 4 'spaced used' blue lights showing on the device itself.

Based on the above would you still advise removing data to free up capacity before re-attempting to format the new volume? There is scope to remove a fairly significant chunk of data stored on the Drobo which I wouldn't need to replace. If I did that how would I know when the 'used space' is down low enough given that Dashboard is currently reporting 43% used space with all 4 drives in place.

Regarding backup security I already have all the Drobo data backed up on off-site NAS.
03-16-2016, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2016 04:42 PM by Paul.)
thanks ray,
it is always cool that you have backups (we can never have enough backups) Smile

for the drobo screenshot and used space value, the details there show the following to me:
1TB + 1TB +2TB +4TB = 8TB raw
-4TB (for SDR redundancy protection) = 4TB raw
4TB *0.9 = approx 3.6TB actually available (after normal filesystem overheads etc)

and if you have already about 1.54TB of data on the drobo, then that is about 42% of the available (3.6TB) space, which is about 4blue leds.
= i think this is fine and that the blue leds match up. (you might think why are only 4 lit when you have so many total TBs of drives in there but its only because you only have a single 4TB in there which is essentially being used up for protection)

however:
it does seem to be odd that the free space is only showing 12% free, and i would have expected to see about 2TB free

would you be able to use dashboard to safely shut down the drobo, and to then restart the unit and computer and to please have another look after another hour of use, to see if the values are changing or have changed?
actually - this could be due to the 2nd volume not being setup and formatted by dashboard... would you be able to please take screenshots of the capacity tabs as well please? Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Hi Paul, please see Capacity & Volume screenshots here: http://imgur.com/a/8s0Hl. Agree that there should be more free space available but couldn't that be a consequence of the 4TB drive needing formatted? BTW I don't remember seeing any prompts to format when installed previous drives but perhaps you can see something that suggests otherwise.
Either way hope there is a way of resolving this without having to take drastic action. Off to bed now so out off air for few hours! Thanks.
03-17-2016, 02:34 PM
many thanks ray,
please feel free to proceed with the freeing up of some space, (and shortly after, the free space within the Status tab should slowly reclaim that amount of space). Then once the free space has gone up by about 5%, please wait another 5-10mins just to be sure that the space has finished reclaiming, and then please can you try proceeding with that new volume setup via dashboard.

im hoping that it would work this time (though may need 1 more full reboot of computer and drobo in case you get that unable to complete, message)

03-17-2016, 03:58 PM
OK thanks Paul, will do. Blimey I must have a lot of data as spent half the morning deleting unimportant files to earn the scant reward of 1% increase in free space! Will persevere and let you know the result.
03-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Smile go for the bigger wins Smile

04-01-2016, 05:41 AM
Hi Paul

I followed your advice by removing a further 5% of data, re-started, left the device to re-organise remaining etc etc but unfortunately the volume still refused to format. So I've had to bite the bullet and pay for a single incident support. Having examined a diagnostic report the support agent said the following:

"With your current Drive setup it will not work. Please keep in Mind that the Drobo now need 4 TB Space to protect the new 4TB in the bottom Slot against a Drive Failure. So it will claim the Space from all other Drives in the Pack. So you need to replace one of your 1 TB Drives with another 4 TB.
As your original created virtual Volume Size was set to only 2TB, I would recommend to copy off the Data some were else, replace one of your 1 TB Drives with another 4 TB, reset the entire Array, format 1 large 16TB virtual Volume and then copy back the Data.
You would then have 4TB 1TB, 2TB 4TB which will give you nearly 7TB usable Space."

Before investing in a further 4TB drive would you consider this to be correct? If so it would seem we've rather been barking up the wrong tree with the formatting attempts. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
04-01-2016, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 04:47 PM by Paul.)
hi ray,
the honest answer is that while i am a bit puzzled as to why dashboard was asking to format a new volume for the operating system, (if it would not actually be available), i'd be inclined to trust support, (especially as they may be privy to a lot more information about your setup from the diagnostics.)

as far as i can remember, the SDR mantra was of lots of users saying that you essentially lose the space of your largest drive. (or 2 largest drives in the case of other models using Dual Drive Redundancy), with the rest being available.

when i imagined you having just a 1TB+1TB+2TB = 4TB
(with the 2TB protected by way of the 1TB+1TB)
(the actual usuable would seem to have been just under 2TB, and fitting within the one, single volume that you have)

when i imagined you adding a 4th extra drive and having 1TB+1TB+2TB+4TB = 8TB
(with the 4TB protected by the 1TB+1TB+2TB)
(the actual usable would seem to have been just under 4TB eg the 3.6TB, with the excess of 2TB prompting the creation of a 2nd volume)

i had a look for one of my older posts (about 6 years ago) as i had a few hiccups with the new volume initially but then it worked ok in the end (though i was using 1tb increments i think). i paste it here just to mention it though its about 5 or 6 pages http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.ph

all in all though, if support has advised you, then please do follow their advice in case i misunderstood something, (and if you feel some of the file housekeeping time you spent could have been better spent, then i happily offer to send a joke or 2 for you in return)

04-02-2016, 03:39 AM
Thanks for that Paul. I'm grateful for your time, efforts and patience in trying to help resolve the problem. The marketing info that first drew me to the Drobo system implied that increasing capacity was simply a matter of adding drives and any combination (up to the max the device could accommodate at the time) would work. With benefit of hindsight this claim is misleading as it is clearly much more complicated than that and there is no clear info on the website explaining the potential pitfalls. Can I ask you to feed this concern back to relevant people in the company as it has resulted in a considerable waste of time and anxiety. Furthermore it has cost me over £70 for a support ticket plus the significant effort of having to remove all data from my device etc when none of this would have been necessary had the relevant info been made available in the first place Let's just hope the support desk advice works. Ray