Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gen2 constant protection mode, no drive activity
02-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Gen2 constant protection mode, no drive activity
Hoping someone can help. My drobo had a failed drive, I replaced it with a new one, it has been in protection mode for about 10 days now, there's no sound of any drive activity happening.

Should I try replacing the drive with yet another one, should I keep waiting indefinitely while it blinks green and amber? Has anyone had this issue before?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2016, 01:51 PM
RE: Gen2 constant protection mode, no drive activity
hi kevin,
the usual process is to not do anything else while the rebuild is in progress...

can i check how much data you have, and many drives you have, and what the sizes in TB are please?
(usually the process will take about 1day per 1TB of data that you have, but could take a bit more if something is accessing it)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-28-2016, 11:56 PM
Question RE: Gen2 constant protection mode, no drive activity
(02-24-2016 07:49 PM)kevinleehansen Wrote:  Hoping someone can help. My drobo had a failed drive, I replaced it with a new one, it has been in protection mode for about 10 days now, there's no sound of any drive activity happening.

Should I try replacing the drive with yet another one, should I keep waiting indefinitely while it blinks green and amber? Has anyone had this issue before?

I'm having the same problem. I'm starting to get concerned about losing my data...

No support as the earlier Drobo is end of life (was working just fine until I tried upgrading a drive).

I can't even access the data anymore for some reason. The lights just alternate between yellow and green permanently. I've done a reset and reboot and it just resumes the data protection and carries on (and stays inaccessible in Drobo Dashboard). Dashboard does pick up the Drobo if no drives are inserted.

I had 3x3TB + 1.5TB and all I did was replace the 1.5TB with 3TB. Total physical drive space is now 4x3=12TB. This should mean about 12 days for data protection (ignoring used storage - I was at 85%) but I'm now on day 16.

Any suggestions? There isn't a newer version of the firmware (I'm on 1.4.2) but there is a "Reset Drobo" option in Dashboard. Not sure what that is. Drobo Support doesn't seem to want to assist - maybe someone has seen this before? I wish I could still pick up the Drobo in Dashboard so that I could see the data protection progress... I don't mind if it is taking long but it seems like it will never end now.

Is my data gone?
03-29-2016, 01:23 PM
hi jashinds,
if it is still flashing green and yellow, then i would try to leave it for longer if you can. (while some of the newer models can rebuild more quickly, its usually "about" 1 day per 1TB of data that you have, and anything using the drobo during the rebuild, could slow it down a bit, as well as any potential drive errors or recovery etc).

i think in there past there have been a few cases where something happened or a power cut during a rebuild, which triggered a 2nd one which turned out ok in the end, but if you can i would try to leave it for more if you can.

dashboard might start finding it again (as there have been some cases where the dashboard or computer loses access or recognition of drobo during intensive processes like a rebuild or firmware update), but if you think something might be using the drobo then you could try shutting down the computer, and looking to see if there is any activity light flashing on the drobos activity led.

then with the computer shutdown, and when you are sure there is no activity, you could try unplugging the usb or computer connection cable from the drobo, and the rebuild might complete a bit faster for you.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-30-2016, 12:05 AM
(03-29-2016 01:23 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi jashinds,
if it is still flashing green and yellow, then i would try to leave it for longer if you can. (while some of the newer models can rebuild more quickly, its usually "about" 1 day per 1TB of data that you have, and anything using the drobo during the rebuild, could slow it down a bit, as well as any potential drive errors or recovery etc).

i think in there past there have been a few cases where something happened or a power cut during a rebuild, which triggered a 2nd one which turned out ok in the end, but if you can i would try to leave it for more if you can.

dashboard might start finding it again (as there have been some cases where the dashboard or computer loses access or recognition of drobo during intensive processes like a rebuild or firmware update), but if you think something might be using the drobo then you could try shutting down the computer, and looking to see if there is any activity light flashing on the drobos activity led.

then with the computer shutdown, and when you are sure there is no activity, you could try unplugging the usb or computer connection cable from the drobo, and the rebuild might complete a bit faster for you.

Hi paul

Thanks for the reply. I have done that many times actually. Somehow, I have found a procedure where I can restart the Drobo and get access via linux. So now I have access via the drobo utilities. My current objective is literally to access my data so that I can pull it off and rebuild the Drobo from scratch as the USB is not working as it should (not detectable at all in Windows or Mac with drives inserted).

I suspect there is an issue with the LUN config. I just hope somehow I can access my data.

From the outside, it looks like it is in data protection mode but when I run the command I get this output:
~# drobom -v 16 status
examining: /dev/sda
id: (1, 0, 0, 0, 'Generic\x00')
rejected: vendor is Generic (not from DRI)
examining: /dev/sdb
id: (2, 0, 0, 0, 'WDC WD50')
rejected: vendor is WDC WD50 (not from DRI)
examining: /dev/sdc
id: (3, 0, 0, 0, 'TRUSTED ')
found a Drobo
appending new lundevs to devices: []
examining: /dev/sdd
id: (3, 0, 0, 1, 'TRUSTED ')
found a Drobo
appending to lundevs...
returning list: [['/dev/sdc', '/dev/sdd']]
trying: ['/dev/sdc', '/dev/sdd']
cfg: (4, 16, 8796093021696L)
settings: (1457767465, 8, 'Drobo disk pack')
found [['/dev/sdc', '/dev/sdd']]
settings: (1457767465, 8, 'Drobo disk pack')
/dev/sdc:/dev/sdd - Drobo disk pack 68% full - (['No redundancy', 'Relay out in progress', 'no estimate yet '], 4027)

This output never changes after many hours. I believe the 4027 should decrease over time in this mode but it never does. This is of course after about 300 odd hours of rebuilding.

I have tried mounting /dev/sdc1 with no success - even if I try read only. I get an NTFS error telling me to run chkdsk in windows (of course, I cannot detect the Drobo in Windows).

So now I am moving towards the following course of action: removing the newly inserted drive. I have no redundancy now but what I am not sure of is how the data has been distributed. If I could just go back to before the relayout started, i.e. remove the drive so that I can get my data off the Drobo, that would be great. I can handle no redundancy during this process - as right now, it looks like I won't see my data again :-\
What would you think? This is risky yes but I'm running out of options.

Unless there is some magical way to log into the Drobo (maybe a shell or so) and fiddle with the LUN mountings directly? I should only have 1x8TB LUN - I'm not sure why it created a second..

Here is some extra info:
~# drobom -v 16 info
examining: /dev/sda
id: (1, 0, 0, 0, 'Generic\x00')
rejected: vendor is Generic (not from DRI)
examining: /dev/sdb
id: (2, 0, 0, 0, 'WDC WD50')
rejected: vendor is WDC WD50 (not from DRI)
examining: /dev/sdc
id: (3, 0, 0, 0, 'TRUSTED ')
found a Drobo
appending new lundevs to devices: []
examining: /dev/sdd
id: (3, 0, 0, 1, 'TRUSTED ')
found a Drobo
appending to lundevs...
returning list: [['/dev/sdc', '/dev/sdd']]
trying: ['/dev/sdc', '/dev/sdd']
settings: (1457767972, 8, 'Drobo disk pack')
found [['/dev/sdc', '/dev/sdd']]
settings: (1457767972, 8, 'Drobo disk pack')
(4, 16, 8796093021696L)
(2852249268224L, 6114526498816L, 8966775767040L, 0)
(0, 11)
(1457767972, 8, 'Drobo disk pack')
[(0, 3000592982016L, 0, ['red', 'green'], 'ST3000DM001-1CH166', 'ST3000DM001-1CH1'), (1, 3000592982016L, 0, ['red', 'green'], 'ST3000DM001-1CH166', 'ST3000DM001-1CH1'), (2, 3000592982016L, 0, ['red', 'green'], 'ST3000DM001-1ER166', 'ST3000DM001-1ER1'), (3, 3000592982016L, 0, ['red', 'green'], 'ST3000DM001-1CH166', 'ST3000DM001-1CH1')]
(1, 254, 50341, 26, 6, 'May 18 2012,16:01:50', 'ArmMarvell', '1.4.2', ['NO_AUTO_REBOOT', 'NO_FAT32_FORMAT', 'USED_CAPACITY_FROM_HOST', 'DISKPACKSTATUS', 'ENCRYPT_NOHEADER', 'CMD_STATUS_QUERIABLE', 'VARIABLE_LUN_SIZE_1_16', 'PARTITION_LUN_GPT_MBR', 'FAT32_FORMAT_VOLNAME', 'SUPPORTS_DROBOSHARE', 'SUPPORTS_NEW_LUNINFO2', 'feature x0800', 'feature x2000 ', 'leftovers (440000)'])
(['No redundancy', 'Relay out in progress', 'no estimate yet '], 4027)

{'RedThreshold': 95, 'YellowThreshold': 85}
(0, 8796093022208L, 6114526498816L, 'GPT', ['EXT3'])
(0, 0, 0, 'No Partitions', ['NTFS'])

Please help. Once I get it up and running again I am not going to fiddle with any more drives until I can get a new Drobo chassis.
03-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Ok some good-ish news. I am able to access my data now after enabling RO (Read Only). Doesn't seem to be read only but I don't care... I'm getting my priority data OFF the Drobo onto external HDDs and going to recreate/reformat the LUNs from scratch.. just to be safe. Now if only I could halt the data protection to get some more transfer speed for the backup copying
03-30-2016, 04:43 PM
hi thanks for more info,
as i was reading your #5 post, i was going to suggest letting it run on its own for at least 1.5x the normal rebuilding time, but from reading your latest #6 post, i think a lot of the ReadOnly mode implementations seem to be for helping a reboot loop (and re-rebuilding) but am glad that you can access your data.

i think if you can access it fine now and are copying - it might be best not to try and improve the transfer speed some more, in case it prevents all access.

03-31-2016, 01:23 AM
Hi,

I have a similar problem. I have a Drobo 2gen, which was configured with 2 x 1.5TB and 2 x 3TB drives. One of the 3TB drives failed, and I replaced it with a new WD 6TB drive.

Since then the drobo is continually in data protection mode (all drive lights flashing yellow and green). I can see the drobo in drobo dashboard, but the drive will not mount.

Occasionally the drobo reboots then goes back into data protection mode.

Any advice as to how to restore the drobo to a workable state? If I remove the new drive, will the data still be accessible? Then I could pull the data off and attempt to reformat the drive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

DRM.
03-31-2016, 04:06 AM
(03-31-2016 01:23 AM)dylanmuir Wrote:  Hi,

I have a similar problem. I have a Drobo 2gen, which was configured with 2 x 1.5TB and 2 x 3TB drives. One of the 3TB drives failed, and I replaced it with a new WD 6TB drive.

Since then the drobo is continually in data protection mode (all drive lights flashing yellow and green). I can see the drobo in drobo dashboard, but the drive will not mount.

Occasionally the drobo reboots then goes back into data protection mode.

Any advice as to how to restore the drobo to a workable state? If I remove the new drive, will the data still be accessible? Then I could pull the data off and attempt to reformat the drive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

DRM.

My advice would be to put it on standby, power off then remove the drives, power on and wait for it to see the empty Drobo in Dashboard - leave it running for some time to rule out a hardware issue causing the reboots. Then, standby again, power off, reinsert the drives in the same places and power up. After about 5 minutes check if you can see the Volumes in Dashboard (assuming you can see the Drobo).

If the Volumes are there (1 or more) then it is an OS issue. Which OS are you using?

See my solution - Read Only mode. That might be an option later. My Drobo is still in data protection mode even under Read Only (I can only think RO refers to the Drobo to outside world interface).

I would NOT remove the new drive. You cannot predict how the Drobo is distributing data i.e. it is not designed to use the newest drive for protection exclusively... it is not safe to make assumptions like that (I had the same thoughts as you though, but if you think about it, not a good idea). Remember the Drobo reformats the drive anyway. You need to wait for it to complete the data protection - which it will do even if there is a failed drive (basically, as I understand it, it would spread the data across the remaining drives). It will stop data protection and flash red on the faulty drive.

My suspicion is that your LUN table or partition table is corrupt and fails on mount. In my case, the result of this was total failure of the USB driver on the Drobo itself - which somehow Read Only mode seems to fix.... sounds like you may be in a similar boat. Good Luck
03-31-2016, 05:46 AM
Hi @jashinds, thanks for your reply. I will try read only mode to diagnose. I'll report back if I have any success.