Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Mounting Issue?
04-25-2016, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2016 01:07 PM by Paul.)
RE: Mounting Issue?
hi dsprui,
thats ok (from my side there is definitely no offence taken in any way) Smile

please try to hang in there to see what can be done, and the only other thing i can suggest is just to see if iscsi is the only way to connect things, because if not, maybe there is another way to discuss with support. (i say this with limited knowledge of the fact that some models have a special internal connector within the chassis, a bit like a circuit board data interface socket, that have been used on some threads, which maybe could be considered if it exists in your model)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2016, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2016 05:43 AM by freshcat.)
And here I was hoping to find a solution.. I have EXACTLY the same issue. It actually happened right as I copied some files to a particular volume, which then promptly 'hid' its files (though the Volume was still mounted and visible as in the OPs example.

Clearly this has something to do with the Volume getting close to the 16TB limit.

As OP pointed out, the fact that drobo support have no way to figure this out is disconcerting, especially if it means the entire point of a drobo is void i this cannot be resolved and the data retained. 15TB of personal files gone? Disgraceful.
One thing I will point out though is that the data still seems to be present on the drobo, and this is simply a matter of visibility. I happened to open an app on my iMac and glanced at Recent Files, which showed a file that is in the 'missing' Volume. File opened fine.. I just cannot see it directly.. very bizarre behaviour.
07-12-2016, 09:19 PM
(07-12-2016 05:41 AM)freshcat Wrote:  One thing I will point out though is that the data still seems to be present on the drobo, and this is simply a matter of visibility. I happened to open an app on my iMac and glanced at Recent Files, which showed a file that is in the 'missing' Volume. File opened fine.. I just cannot see it directly.. very bizarre behaviour.

Can you see the files from the command line? On a Mac, run Terminal.app to....drop into UNIX land. Hm. I'm not sure that helped much. Well, you could "cd /Volumes/Drobo" or whatever it's named and then "ls -l" (list, long).
In Windows, run cmd.exe, change to the drive letter, and look. "h:" "dir /a"

alter ego of rdo
DroboPro and various other stuff
07-15-2016, 11:50 PM
(07-12-2016 09:19 PM)rdo2 Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 05:41 AM)freshcat Wrote:  One thing I will point out though is that the data still seems to be present on the drobo, and this is simply a matter of visibility. I happened to open an app on my iMac and glanced at Recent Files, which showed a file that is in the 'missing' Volume. File opened fine.. I just cannot see it directly.. very bizarre behaviour.

Can you see the files from the command line? On a Mac, run Terminal.app to....drop into UNIX land. Hm. I'm not sure that helped much. Well, you could "cd /Volumes/Drobo" or whatever it's named and then "ls -l" (list, long).
In Windows, run cmd.exe, change to the drive letter, and look. "h:" "dir /a"

Hi rdo, appreciate the suggestion. Attempted it via Terminal, just returns blank command line. Attempting same with other drobo Volumes shows the files of course.

Doing a 'Get Info' on the particular Volume in questions shows it has 16.45TB on it, so clearly going over the limit significantly plays with the drobo.
07-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Any updates from those with this issue? My B800i seems to have a similar issue now. My volume was maxed out to 100%, and now when it is mounted to any machine, Windows prompts me to format the drive. Dashboard is still telling me there is 14.5tb of data though.
07-22-2016, 10:50 AM
hi jradunske, you probably would not do this but just to mention that you should "not" format the drobo if windows asks you...

does dashboard show any other messages, and in the meantime can i check what the colours on the drobo are doing and showing?

what you could try, is to power all off, and to unplug all cables from the drobo
and then to wait 5 minutes
and then to power up just the drobo
(does it boot up with the usual blue led sequences, such as with light 1 through to 10, and then going into standby mode?)

if you then try booting up the computer, and then dashboard too.
and then try connecting the drobo as you usually do,
(does your drobo wake up shortly afterwards, and then become recognised again in dashboard?)
also what happens now from windows point of view?

btw are you still within support, and also which version of windows do you have?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
07-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Everything on the Drobo is/was fine, except what seems to be a corrupted file system. I was able to load up an Ubuntu box and mount the iSCSI volume there. I am now in the process of offloading 14.5TB of data so I can reset the Drobo unit.

These pics show all relevant screenshots of the dashboard.
http://imgur.com/a/5LEq2
This was taken off a Server 2008 machine, but Windows 7 with the latest Dashboard version was exactly the same.

Also, the diagnostics file is just flooded with this line:
TM: 000004f0 07\20 09:57:37 Error - ESABlockLUN::getOSUsedCapacity The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
07-28-2016, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2016 11:22 AM by Paul.)
thanks for the info and screenshots,

the screens do seem to show a full drobo (possibly it was overfilled somehow) but its good that you can still access the data via your ubuntu box.

it would be interesting to see what possibly caused it to overfill before (if it was due to a program in some way, so as to avoid something happening in the future) but i think if your data is verified as beeing fine again (once you copy things off) then a rest should hopefully get things back to a fresh state again.

01-25-2017, 11:52 PM
My Drobo┬┤s Power light stays yellow/orange. It is connected via "Ethernet" cable to my Modem. It always went into this stage when turning off the modem and came out of this state when turning the modem on again. Now the light stays orange - even after restarting the Drobo: first all light are green, then the blue light build up then everything looks ok - except the Drobo os not visible in Dashboard, neither on my Desktop (OS X 10.10.5) and - after about 3-5 minutes -goes into a state where all light are off except the orange power light (which said to indicate: Yellow: Your Drobo device is in the process of powering on).
As I have nothing changed to the cable connections (Drobo-Modem) and just connected my other Mac via Ethernet to the Modem - I cannot see the reason for this behaviour...
01-27-2017, 02:23 PM
hi siamless, if you get a chance could you try plugging in your drobo directly into your computer (instead of the modem)?
am just trying to see if it wakes up or powers up differently and connects?