Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Mounting Issue?
02-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Mounting Issue?
Hello. I purchased my B800i in 2012 so that makes me a POS to Drobo tech support.

I have about 20TB of total storage with 2 16TB partitions. Everything was fine until the other day when the first 16TB got full. Within Drobo dashboard the 2nd volume appeared to be mounted but the status says not available. I unmounted the drive, and tried to remount and the loading wheel next to the partition has been spinning for hours. This happens every time.

[Image: 2a94azc.png]

[Image: 2u7st1f.png]

Any help would be appreciated. I was going to upgrade to the B1200 but Drobos lack of support, which I knew of before even purchasing my Drobo has been made even more clear that I should seek alternative future proof options.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2016, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 01:41 PM by dsprui.)
RE: Mounting Issue?
Holy crap!

I had the EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME LAST NIGHT.

I have found no way to fix it yet.

None.

I now have more than 15 TB of my movies, TV shows, and music on a partition that won't mount, but, hey! That's ok! At least my Drobo knows that data's there!

Ugh.
To be more specific:

Also have 2 16TB partitions (HFS+).

Last night, for whatever reason, the partition that has 15 TB of it used just up and disappeared. When I look at Drobo Dashboard, I see the EXACT SAME THING.
02-21-2016, 04:19 PM
hi dustin, when i first read your post i was thinking maybe the drobo got overfilled somehow (for example where sometimes a user sees xTB free on a volume, but when the actual usable space of the drobo is less then the max size indicated by the operating system).... but when i looked at your screenshot, the blue leds seemed to only show about 80% being used. it probably is not overfilling, but would you be able to have a look at the physical drobo too, just to see how many blue leds the actual is showing?

(hi dsprui, its usually a good sign when the drobo recognises how much data is used... how many leds are there for you too?)

how are things going since then, is there any way that either of you can safely shutdown and computer and drobo, and to try rebooting?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-21-2016, 06:51 PM
(02-21-2016 04:19 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi dustin, when i first read your post i was thinking maybe the drobo got overfilled somehow (for example where sometimes a user sees xTB free on a volume, but when the actual usable space of the drobo is less then the max size indicated by the operating system).... but when i looked at your screenshot, the blue leds seemed to only show about 80% being used. it probably is not overfilling, but would you be able to have a look at the physical drobo too, just to see how many blue leds the actual is showing?

(hi dsprui, its usually a good sign when the drobo recognises how much data is used... how many leds are there for you too?)

how are things going since then, is there any way that either of you can safely shutdown and computer and drobo, and to try rebooting?

Drobo is showing the appropriate #of LED's (7 -- I have about 20TB's of it used and 10 free -- 15 on one volume and 5 on the other), and it is also showing the appropriate percentage and capacity.

I've rebooted my computer, the Drobo, and both.

Nothing has fixed it.
02-22-2016, 04:44 PM
thanks for the info,

one thing you could try which has worked in some other cases by essentially booting up in stages, would be to power all down.

and then to unpug the power and network cables from drobo
and to then remove all of your drives (remembering the order)
and to then power up the empty, unattached drobo
(does it boot up and go into standby mode?)

if so, can you then power up the computer,
and once the computer is up and running, to connect the drobo directly to the computer
(does it wake up and be found in dashboard as empty?)

if so, please power all down again, and unplug the drobo power and network cables from your drobo,
and then to put in all drives back where they were,
and to power up again
(does it boot up with blue leds as normal, and then go back into standby mode?
- if it needs longer at this stage please let it do its thing

once it goes back into standby mode,
to powerup the computer and once that is up,
to connect the network cable directly back into the drobo
(does it wake up and be recognised by drobo as per normal?)

and does it then mount properly for you as before?

(please remember to only put in your drives back in while power is all off)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-14-2016, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2016 01:20 AM by dsprui.)
So I gave in and just got a support account w/ Drobo.

I figured that the files I was losing were essentially 150 movies and 250 episodes of TV shows, along w/ almost 1k songs.

I sent the drobo drag account to them.

They called me back and said they couldn't figure out what happened. They had sent the Drobo diag file to their experts, and they were at a loss. My final chance for literally 15 TB of material is that they find a solution at the high-level coders.

Yep, not kidding. The company has said that there is no available solution to this problem.

Let's be honest -- what we need is a full backup of any files in a Drobo. Which, let's be honest, pretty much means a Drobo's purpose is entirely undermined...
03-14-2016, 02:38 PM
hi dsprui
(it sounds like you had already tried the ideas in my previous post, before making a support account)

if that is the case, and if the diagnostic logs did not show any actual physical problems with the main drobo unit itself, then i think the only other thing that i can think to ask is if there is any chance that someone (with maybe not so good intentions) had access to your computer and maybe tinkered with the volumes in some way?)

03-25-2016, 06:50 AM
0.0% chance.

I take my network's security very seriously, and have never had any breach/malware/etc.

And I don't think my 5 or 6 year-olds did it. Wink
03-29-2016, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2016 11:42 AM by Paul.)
oh ok thats fair enough - i had to ask Smile
at the moment, what happens if you check the settings, so that all files and folders are shown?
(for example, since some other users had to reapply a permission or setting, i was wondering if maybe all the folders became hidden somehow? just like on windows, there is a checkbox to show all system files, whether readonly or hidden etc).

also, when the ticket work has finished, one thing you could try could be to use a filesystem tool such as chkdsk or similar, initially in (tool) readonly mode, because if the volume used space is the same, then the drobo probably recognises that the same amount of space is used up with data, but maybe the volumes filesystem itself needs some maintenance. (i often find a chkdsk on my ntfs volumes helps to correct issues from time to time)

04-23-2016, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2016 01:42 AM by dsprui.)
I hate to put it this way, as it will sound dismissive, but I've now had 20 conversations answering the Drobo team's questions, and they have submitted the problem to their engineering and developmental teams, and their latest response is essentially 'we'll get back to you when we have some idea ***** is going on.' Granted, that's been their response for essentially the past month.

As I've said numerous times, I know how to find the unfindable in OS X, and I'm still flummoxed.

As, it appears, is the Drobo team...