Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Replaced 4th drive, 1st 3 drives no longer recognized
02-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Replaced 4th drive, 1st 3 drives no longer recognized
Drobo reported bottom drive failure. I ordered new drive and endured 6 days of Drobo constantly complaining about the insufficient space, switching between reporting the problem and protection mode.

When the new drive was delivered, I removed the 4th drive and added the replacement to Drobo. All seemed fine for a moment, then all lights turned red.

I shut down the computer and the Drobo. I then reseated the original 3 drives. All lights green. Drobo asks: do I want to format? No. The Drobo is not recognized by the computer. Three drives begin data protection mode -- of what data I'm unsure, because the Drobo says the drives need formatting, as would be expected from fresh, unformatted drives. I seat the 4th drive. Drobo Dashboard sees it fine. However, I now have four apparently blank drives.

Bay 1: 2TB
Bay 2: 1TB
Bay 3: 3TB
Bay 4: 3TB

Is there any way to recover the data that was there until I replaced the fourth drive?

Thanks,

Steve
Macbook Pro Retina 10,1
Mac OS 10.10.5
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2016, 01:14 PM
RE: Replaced 4th drive, 1st 3 drives no longer recognized
Was the Drobo finished with relayout? I think the message is something like "protecting your data". This takes perhaps days and you must not insert a new drive while it is taking place. Did you format the 4th drive before you put it in? Are you sure the drives are in their right slots? Removing drives and reseating them may not have been a great idea, the Drobo has a battery and isn't every really "off" unless you've shut it down with the console.
02-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Hi, RSaunders!

The Drobo was 3 red lights (blinking, I think) and the Dashboard reported that I could access my data but that I should add a drive soon. When I inserted the new 4th drive, all lights turned solid red and the Dashboard reported that it had no drives.

By reseating, I meant ejecting them without removing them from their slots and then reinserting. I had shut the unit down from the Dashboard.
02-08-2016, 08:58 AM
So, in other words, the Drobo was requesting an additional drive to replace the damaged 4th drive and was in a ready state to receive the new drive.

It was while in this prepare state that I added the new 4th drive. And then, poof, all drives appear bad until a shutdown and restart. But no data.
02-08-2016, 11:59 AM
hi alper, can you try the following?

- to power all off (and then unplug the drobo psu and any connection cables)
- to eject each drive, and then to push them gently back in firmly enough to make contact and properly reseat etc
- to then power up just the drobo with its reseated drives
(what happens now?)

(possible thoughts: but am still unsure as would be good to know the above first)

- to power all off
- to remove the new drive
- to power up the remaining (original) 3
(what happens now)?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-10-2016, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 01:42 PM by alper.)
Although I had done these steps before, I did them again.

1. powered all off (and then unplugged the drobo psu and any connection cables)
2. ejected each drive, and then to pushed them gently back in firmly enough to make contact and properly reseat etc
3. Powered up just the drobo with its reseated drives
(what happens now?)

4. Four yellow drive lights. Drobo light show. Four green drive lights and green center light.
5. Reattached USB 3 cable.
6. Powered up computer. Drobo still shows as 4 good drives with 1.52GB data (meaning a virtually empty Drobo).

(possible thoughts: but am still unsure as would be good to know the above first)

1. Powered all off
2. Removed the new drive
3. Power up the remaining (original) 3
(what happens now)?

4. Three yellow drive lights. Drobo light show. Three drive lights flashing green and yellow and green center light.
5. Reattached USB 3 cable.
6. Powered up computer. Drobo in protection mode (5 minutes remaining... done). Three green drive lights. Drobo still shows as 3 good drives with 1.52GB data (meaning a virtually empty Drobo).

BTW, prior to above tests I updated the Drobo Dashboard to the latest version (as prompted by the Dashboard).

Thanks.
02-11-2016, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 02:22 PM by Paul.)
hi alper, thanks for trying those,

if GB gigabytes, then yes, going from drobo mentioning it was getting full, to showing 1.52GB is a big change...but can you now reboot the current drobo another time please?
(i remember when i had a powercut, i sometimes got 0 or 1 of 2 volumes visible again, and had to power down and reboot again and wait for it to self heal (and not always with flashing lights as far as i remember) - can you leave the running drobo and computer for some more time in the meanwhile please. just to see - especially if you start to notice numeric changes in dashboard periodically such as every hour or 2?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
02-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Okay, Paul.

Drobo rebooted and left running overnight.

I'm not sure what you mean by "numeric changes in dashboard." I see a consistent 3 good drives (2TB, 1TB, 3TB) with 1.52GB used of 2.69TB available -- Free Space (100%).
02-12-2016, 02:14 PM
ah thanks alper, for numeric changes this was just that sometimes the numbers which show (used) or (free) space can be periodically updated if it progresses, for example, when lots of folders with files are copied to the drobo, the free space will drop down (often in stages depending on the time taken to copy) but also when deleting or reclaiming space, the free space can creep up gradually, while the drobo filesystem recalaims all the blocks for it.

i was wondering after considerable time, such as your overnight running, if the used space value was gradually increasing, (which would have indicated that it was reconstructing and recognising the used data)

if you have a moment, would you be able to take some screenshots of what dashboard is showing, and posting to imgur or similar with a link to them here? (if you do though, please remember to rub out any sensitive serial numbers etc before posting)