Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drive physically stuck in Bay 0 of 3rd Gen Drobo
01-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Drive physically stuck in Bay 0 of 3rd Gen Drobo
Hi All,
I was testing a 6TB Western Digital Red Pro drive last night in my 5D (that's another problem entirely) and decided to see if my 3rd Generation Drobo would recognize the drive. I removed the drive currently in Bay 0 and inserted the 6TB WD Red Pro drive. Everything went smoothly but the drive wasn't recognized. So, I went to eject the drive and I can press the Eject button and the drive will pop out but when I try to pull it out all the way, it hits something and will not budge. I obviously don't want to force it but I need to get this drive out so I can insert the original drive. Has anyone encountered this problem before and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,
Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2016, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2016 05:11 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drive physically stuck in Bay 0 of 3rd Gen Drobo
hi bill,
while i havent tried a red pro drive, i have had a few drives get stuck before and what i noticed what that if i was directly facing the drobo (as opposed to coming at it from an angle) i was able to press the side clip/spring release all the way in and gently wiggle the drive out as straightly as possible.

if you power all down, what happens if you try holding in the spring release, while gently tilting the drive up or down while you wiggle it side to side to pull it out? if you still feel resistance though, then it might not be something snagging such as notch or groove in the drive caseing, but maybe something still attached to the backplane?
i also updated this thread with link to here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Well, I figured it out. I had to take the Drobo apart (A few days out of warranty and the extended warranty price tag is too much for something I got for just over $200 a year ago). A couple screws and tabs and I got the drive carrier out.

Here's what was happening: the Western Digital Red Pro drives (can't comment on the regular red ones) have a sharp drop on the right top side of the drive and the Drobo drive door was getting caught on it and not letting me remove the drive fully. I'm so glad I tried Bay 0 and not a lower one as the top one is super easy to get at to release the drive!! A little bit of tape smoothed over that edge so it glides freely in and out now. Maybe it's a fluke and this is the only Bay in my 3rd Gen Drobo it'll be a problem in but I really don't want to find out by testing the others with it. My Drobo 5D had no issues with drive insertion and removal and that's where this drive is ultimately going...

Anyways, FYI to anyone else who might have this issue in the future.

Thanks,
Bill
01-20-2016, 06:06 PM
thanks for the info bill, and cool that managed to whip it out (if you pardon the expression) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)