Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can't Adjust Volume Capacity
01-19-2016, 02:11 AM
Can't Adjust Volume Capacity
I have a 5D that I swapped out a couple of small drives and decided to reformat. When going through the process of formatting the drives, I don't get the step where dashboard asks how large I'd like my volume to be. I don't want to create 1 volume, and it seems to automatically think I've chosen 16TB. Running the latest firmware for both Drobo Dashboard and the 5D. Should I use an older Dashboard version?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2016, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2016 03:36 PM by Paul.)
RE: Can't Adjust Volume Capacity
hi peteg,
can i check if you had previously seen that option when you first set up the drobo?

if yes, and if you are still on the same dashboard version, it may be that only a full reset will wipe its memory of the max volume size. (please note that you should only reformat or fully reset when you dont need the data anymore)

i still need some time to troubleshoot a computer and gen1 which both stopped working recently, before i can set up my 5d (i was surface scanning all the sectors for errors previously) but also do hope i can still select 2TB max volume sizes as that is what i need to be able to connect the drobo to certain devices / older computers, not to mention all the other benefits that smaller selectable volume sizes also bring.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Thanks Paul. Yes, when I first set up the 5D it was running an older version of dashboard and firmware. According to Drobo tech support, only the older version would allow you to set the volume size. Interesting that Drobo still has the older user guide on their support page that depicts setting the volume. I performed a full reset, and it did not wipe its memory of the max volume size. Tech support told me that only if I were connected via iSCSI then I could make the change. I'm connected via thunderbolt. Too bad Drobo doesn't let us decide to set the max volume. Thanks for your help. Pete
01-19-2016, 07:29 PM
The 5D has the ability to create a second "Backup" volume where you can select the size (see the Volumes tab in Dashboard - select Enable Backup). This is intended for applications like Time Machine or an encrypted volume where it is important to control the size uses by the application. Time Machine, for example, will grow to use the full capacity of a volume, and the Mac encryption scheme encrypts every block of the filing system, essentially allocating all blocks on the volume.

Cheers!

Jason
01-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Hey thanks Jason. I'll give the backup option a try.
01-21-2016, 11:58 AM
I just set up a 2nd gen from scratch and was able to set 4TB volume size on that, with a 2.6.x or 2.7.x Dashboard (I forget which one I was on at the time, the 2.7.x I think). With my 2x2TB and 2x3TB that got me two volumes to start.

Drobo V2 w/ 2x3TB WD EZRX Greens+2x5TB WD EFRX Red , second Drobo v2 with 2x3TB + 2x2TB (all WD Greens) on a Mac Mini i7 with Yosemite.
01-24-2016, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2016 09:20 PM by Paul.)
cool, hopefully can do what jason suggested peteg,

and thats cool to know spiney,
in theory, newer dashboards could simply still recognise the older models and still provide the same functionality, though to simply add a max version limit when it comes to firmware. such as "the gen 1 you are using is already using the latest version that was released for it while it ws being suported" and that would be fair enough i think since there wouldnt be any new version to actually update it to.

and any subsequent dashboard version would simply include that module of code, so that the older models are still always recognised and basic fuctionality present, just not newer, unsupported features or firmware updates.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)