Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo Gen 2 firewire connected never stops disk
01-15-2016, 06:55 AM
Drobo Gen 2 firewire connected never stops disk
I have bought a 2 Gen Drobo (used) and I've noticed that, if connected via firewire cable to my macs (either a mini 2012 and a macbook pro 2012) never spins down disks and never enter in standby mode if not used.

I've also noticed that this behaviour lead to have the fan run periodically, I think to avoid drives overheat.

Is a known issue of this model? Is there something to do in order to make it work properly and not to risk to shorten drives life?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2016, 07:06 AM
RE: Drobo Gen 2 firewire connected never stops disk
hi can i check if you have the same situation if you try with usb?
(i think it depends on the models and firmware version, as my gen1 spins down and i think my gen does as well but i am still on firmware and dashboard 1.7.3 and 1.3.7)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-15-2016, 07:16 AM
This is not happening if connected with usb cable, but I need to use it via firewire because all my usb ports are occupied by usb 3 drives and an usb audio interface on the mac mini... it would be a really big downgrade to move often accessed data from an usb 3 device to an usb 2 one Sad
01-15-2016, 07:21 AM
I had two Gen 2's on Firewire on a Mac Mini until just recently. I'm pretty sure they did spin down, but I went to USB just this last week because I was tired of them hardly ever showing up in Dashboard.

Drobo V2 w/ 2x3TB WD EZRX Greens+2x5TB WD EFRX Red , second Drobo v2 with 2x3TB + 2x2TB (all WD Greens) on a Mac Mini i7 with Yosemite.
01-15-2016, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 07:29 AM by andreasonica.)
Spiney, could you try to connect one to the firewire port, just to be sure your is working properly?

I'm keeping the drobo with the front cover off, so I can touch the drives to effectively feel if they are spinning or not. I've also noticed that sometime I hear the sound of the drives stop (the reading head down sound) but they are not stopping...it's a sort of loop and I really don't know how to workaround with this issue!