Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo Gen 2 and Gen 3 - Red Light - Won't Mount
01-11-2016, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 03:16 PM by CargoRunner.)
Drobo Gen 2 and Gen 3 - Red Light - Won't Mount
Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem.

I was using a Drobo Gen 2 perfectly fine and then I got a solid red light on the newest biggest drive (bay 4). I thought this was a capacity warning as previously a broken drive was a flashing red light.

I decided to move old files off the drobo. Mid move the drobo stopped working. It was no longer detected by drobo dashboard. Windows would detect the drobo but would come up with an IO error trying to list the files.

I assumed the Gen 2 had just died so I bought a new Gen 3. I put the disks in the new Gen 3 and the new drobo is not detected by drobo dashboard. It is detected by windows but again IO error message and no access to any files.

The empty Gen 2 is now detected by drobo dashboard and complains that there is no disks installed.

If I take out all the disks from the new Gen 3 then the Gen 3 is detected by drobo dashboard and complains that there are no disks installed.

With all the original disks in the Gen 3, I get the same solid red light on disk 4 (the newest and largest disk 3TB). If I replace the 4th drive with a brand new empty 3TB drive then I get the same solid red light on the 4th drive. There is no disk activity, no data is copied onto the new drive, the drobo is still no detected by drobo dash board, windows still reports an IO error.

In all cases there are no blue capacity lights being displayed.

I thought that the drobo was bullet proof so it is the only copy of all my photos, music, data etc. So I am really terrified I have lost everything! I have a call open with Drobo, but would appreciate hearing anybody else's experience. I really need some good news!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2016, 04:52 PM
RE: Drobo Gen 2 and Gen 3 - Red Light - Won't Mount
hi cargo, sorry to hear you had some problems with your original gen2.
(i encountered an issue on my gen1 last night and still to finish troubleshooting it)

for your issues, i think its good that you have a ticket open, and while i dont have a simple quick fix for you, i would honestly suggest that it is good to try to take things step by step, only in the sense that trying to eagerly drive things forward to a speedy resolution, with lots of new variables in the mix, might actually cause more problems down the line, ,even if the intention is good) - (it might not be so appealing to wait, but please hang in there to at least see what support can find)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Just to let other users know the rest of my story.

My problem drive is NOT the one with the solid red capacity light.

Even though 1 drive out of 4 is unreliable and has problems it is stopping the drobo booting. There is no system or file recovery options. I have lost EVERYTHING.

I warn all other drobo users that you should NOT use the drobo as your only data store. I have used RAID systems for 25 years and I thought that Drobo was the best of the best. This is the first time one disk failure has lost ALL my data from a 2 or 4 disk RAID. I am still stunned and in shock that the drobo helpdesk have stated that nothing can be saved from the 3 good disk drives. No simple disk swap, no "self healing".... just total and complete data loss.
01-20-2016, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2016 05:30 PM by Paul.)
hi cargo, thanks for posting back about this with an update for your problem.

can i check if you are sure there is no other way forward?
for example, maybe there is a way to power all off, to clone drives and to try putting in the new clones and then powering up (or possibly in a different replecement drobo in case the hardware had a fault?)

there is a huge thread from yerry (with related thread) where we have been trying to find ways forward for him. (while i cant guarantee anything, several different sources seem to indicate that there can be successsful ways forward in some cases, so am just trying to see if there is maybe something else that could be attempted - ideally without costing the earth too)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)