Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Two Partitions with different filesystem
01-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Two Partitions with different filesystem
Hi everybody,
I've just bought an used Drobo Gen 2 FireWire and I'm wondering if it's possible to partition (in Drobo Dashboard or Disk Utility in Mac OS X) the Drobo storage space in 2 different Volumes:

- the first HFS+ formatted
- the second NTFS formatted

so I can store different things from different computers (not Windows VM on OS X).

Is it possible or could be come out problems with the Drobo redundancy?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2016, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2016 12:40 PM by Paul.)
RE: Two Partitions with different filesystem
hi this is interesting,
it may be posisble though i havent tried it, but what might be safer to do could be the following:

- to pick which filesystem format is going the be your main format (ideally one that both computers can access)
- and to simply create a virtual disk (ideally via a fixed size file container file so that you do not exceed the usable space on the drobo overal) and to configure the virtual drive to have the secondary filesystem format.

(any data/files on either of the volumes, would still be utilising/using up the usable space on the drobo, so you would need to use drobo and dashboard to keep an eye on the free space, but i think in this way, it would work, and still give you drive redundancy as the virual disk is just a file after all, which is simply residing on the primary filesystem volume)

i have posted before and did something similar on windows, when i essentially encountered too many issues while needing to access a cddb, so i simply replicated the entire database into a simple virtual disk of about 10GB, as ntfs, so that i wasnt physically storing millions of tiny text files on the drobo directly, which would also eat up space anywhere stored individually due to cluster size wastage) Smile

sorry to digress, the short version is that if you wish to try it, you can try it ideally before you start populating the drobo with data, but if you are not in a rush, please hang in there as others may have suggestions too.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-07-2016, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2016 07:03 PM by andreasonica.)
(01-07-2016 12:38 PM)Paul Wrote:  you can try it ideally before you start populating the drobo with data, but if you are not in a rush, please hang in there as others may have suggestions too.

That's what I'm thinking about... but I don't understand what you mean with "virtual disk" : an ISO file or .sparsebundle, or are you referring to a Volume (like I've seen in Drobo Dashboard is possible to add new visible Volumes/Partition)?

Scenario:
I'd like to use it attached to my OS X desktop, from where I store & access data on the HFS+ Volume. On the OS X machine I'l like to turn on file sharing for the NTFS Volume, to gain access from a Windows Laptop. In case of need, I could detach the Drobo from the Mac and connect to the Win to read/write faster on the NTFS.

Is this workflow possible?

Let see if some one with more experience comes to reply Smile
01-08-2016, 03:36 PM
hi, for virtual disk it was mainly meaning something like an iso or sparsebundle or even a program that encrypts a file that you can then mount, but i dont think you can mount a mac filesystem onto a windows computer (without buying 3rd party toosl) but yes, lets see views from others Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
01-14-2016, 02:54 AM
Finally I've got my Drobo and a strange thing happened.

When I first put in an HDD and tried out if it was possible, I've verified it was, through Disk Utility: Drobo Dashboard doesn't seem to offer this option, maybe with the 2 gen.
But after a firmware update (I'm not sure this could be the cause) it seems not to be possible anymore...

Another strange thing is that disks never stop running: I ear the sound of the stop (from the reading head) but it restarts immediately. Is this a normal behavior?
01-15-2016, 07:07 AM
hi i just saw your other thread here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?