Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo gen 3 buffering on one computer but not the other
12-23-2015, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 02:43 PM by zaidrockso.)
Drobo gen 3 buffering on one computer but not the other
Recently bought a Gen 3 Drobo, Loaded 1 WD 6Tb red and 1 Seagate 2TB

Video buffers often, i sent the diagnostic info they asked for and they replied that either the cable or the usb ports were the issue, so i tried the drobo on all 4 ports ( 2x 3.0 , 2x 2.0 ) for my motherboard with the same issue, and also tried it on the front case usb 2.0's with the same issue.

My drives are up to date or so my system says so, where is the issue? how do i fix it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2015, 04:30 PM
RE: Drobo gen 3 buffering on one computer but not the other
hi,
can i check if you also were able to try a different cable too as they suggested?
(for example just in case the ports are ok but a cable was having a problem?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Yep tried 2 cables, no change.
12-23-2015, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 04:55 PM by Paul.)
ok thanks for clairying,
if your drobo is in single SDR drive redundancy mode, then it probably only has about 1.8tb of usable space...

some things that could be causing the stuttering/buffering could be these:
- if it is running low on free space (such as getting quite full)
- or some other programs accessing the drobo (such as multiple streaming, or antivirus / mac spotlight or windows search indexing schedules)
- if you have recently modified/deleted/copied lots of data to it, it might just need a bit of time to settle

what you could try is to wait a bit and to check the above, and then to maybe try copying the same files onto computers internal hard drive, and then trying it again (from computer and then from drobo) to see if it still buffers...

if it does, then it could just be that particular codecs bitrate is not playing nice with the player program, or possibly trying to eat up too many CPU cycles (in which case you could see using task manager in case it is that)

you could also try a very simple tool called Video lan portable edition (vlc) to see if it helps too?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)