Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HDD swap from old unit to new unit
12-10-2015, 06:18 AM
HDD swap from old unit to new unit
I received a new DROBO 3rd gen USB yesterday and after upgrading the firmware on the new unit I powered off and swapped the four HDD from the old to the new unit. But I am having an issue with inserting a drive into bay/slot #2. It wont fully seat into the backplane so it wont make contact and the lock lever/bar on the left that hold the drive in the bay wont fully latch behind the drive to hold it into place. I can insert and hold the drive in place with a finger but once I take my finger away the drive looses contact.

The data is all available on the three remaining HDD's in the new unit, it's that I just insert the remaining drive even though it was seated with no problem in the old DROBO. Anyone else experience this issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2015, 07:46 AM
RE: HDD swap from old unit to new unit
Turn your unit off, remove all drives and then try to find a suitable slot for that one problematic drive.

drobo 2nd Gen, drobo 5N
12-11-2015, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the input, but unfortunately I already tried that already and still no-go. I did contact and speak to support and they are creating a RMA to get a new unit out to me, hopefully soon I hope.
12-11-2015, 01:42 PM
ah it could be that that bay slot got damaged somehow, possibly in transit, but cool that youll be getting another one to replace it. (please let us know how it goes wiht the new one)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)