Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2nd gen replace 2 drives with 1.
12-07-2015, 11:31 AM
2nd gen replace 2 drives with 1.
I recently had a drive failure in a my Drobo disk pack. To get it back online, I had to replace one of the large capacity drives with two smaller ones. I would now like to replace the two small drives with one replacement large one. I think the process should go like the following...

1. Remove one of the two small drives.
2. Insert the larger drive.
3. Rebuild.
4. Pull the second smaller drive.
5. Rebuild "shrinkage".

Does that sound right?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2015, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 01:03 PM by Paul.)
RE: 2nd gen replace 2 drives with 1.
hi, i think the basic theory of ending up with 1 large drive instead of the 2 smaller ones is ok,
but i think that when you remove your 1st small drive (eg one of them), that it will trigger a rebuild too.

there "might" be a way to remove the 1st small drive you mention, rebuild, and then if still in SDR stable state, to remove the 2nd smaller drive you mention, rebuild, and then to simply add the replacement larger drive again (with a final rebuild) but am not sure how much data has been added since the time that you actually had a larger capacity drive (before it failed), or which versions it is, and some reboots may be required to trigger shrinkage.

if you are not in a rush to do this, do you have any more info you can post for us, such as dashboard info, free space, used space, which drives in which slots (including what you had) and sizes/make or model in the meantime? i have only upgraded a drive or replaced a failed drive, though maybe some other users have downgraded before and have any thoughts

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-07-2015, 01:39 PM
I listed two rebuilds in the steps, 3 & 5. I've just never reduced the size of a Drobo array before, so am a little hesitant.
12-08-2015, 04:53 AM
I have had very mixed results on shrinking, quite often it refuses to do it

is there a specific reason you need to shrink it / get those disks back?

If i were you i'd replace the smallest disk with your new larger disk.. and then just stop there.. leave the second small disk in there. theres fewer rebuilds / less risk

if you need more space in future you can replace that with a larger disk too

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
12-09-2015, 11:28 AM
Worked fine, better then I thought. The second "rebuild" took a few seconds, no doubt due to the low amount of data I had. And the reason I wanted to pull the drive is that it was old and due for failure. I only installed it so I could keep the Drobo going while I ordered a replacement drive for the one that did fail.
12-09-2015, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 12:02 PM by Paul.)
well done, am glad it all worked as per your master plan Smile

edit: actually, that's a good point and reminder about users to try and rotate out really old drives.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)