Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Use Drobo as a NAS backup device
12-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Use Drobo as a NAS backup device
Can I use my Gen3 as a USB3 backup device plugged into the rear USB3 port of my NAS, or does the Drobo require that Dashboard be running on the host device?
The NAS device has a backup command that backs up to a USB3 disk plugged into the back of the NAS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2015, 06:07 PM
RE: Use Drobo as a NAS backup device
The Dashboard program is just so you can see what's going on. You probably need to set up the volume with the Drobo plugged into a computer. Then if the format's recognized by your NAS you might be able to execute backups. The performance you get may depend on the NAS backup software. Drobo has real serious problems with Apple Time Machine because the default Drobo behavior is file based replication. If that's not how your backup program works, you might need to experiment with the "Enable Time Machine Support" function. This makes the Drobo work in a more sector-by-sector way. It's not good for performance, but it's this or corruption.
12-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Thanks, I'll check out how the NAS backup application works.
12-07-2015, 12:33 PM
(while not nas, just to mention that ive been able to boot up my computer from an acronis bootdisk, and use acronis to successfully backup my computer to the gen1 das drobo - this is probably the closest thread to add that bit of info to) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)