Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gen 3 - connect to something to make it like a NAS
11-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Question Gen 3 - connect to something to make it like a NAS
I know, I know, it's a terrible question. Why didn't I just buy a network connected Drobo?

Well, there was a deal yesterday which got me a Drobo that I otherwise would not have been able to buy. $200 for a Gen 3 USB.

I am more than happy to connect it to a spare Mac and access it through the network that way.

However, my spare machine only has USB 2.0 and so I got to thinking what if I could plug the Drobo into some small device that would give me USB 3.0 speeds on a gigabit ethernet? That would be great.

I would theoretically get lightning fast access from any computer on the network.

I had a quick look at Raspberry Pi and it looks like the USB and ethernet run together and so the speeds are not good.

I'm sure this question has been raised in the past, but I'm wondering what the latest view is on connecting a Gen 3 to be used on a gigabit network.

Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2015, 08:53 PM
RE: Gen 3 - connect to something to make it like a NAS
Yes.. basically you can connect the Drobo Gen3 via USB to a spare PC or Mac and uses its OS to Share out the folders or data in the Gen3 volume. The only down-side is that this spare PC or Mac has to be turned ON 24/7 to act as a server.

For better transfers speed... is best that the spare PC or Mac has a USB 3.0 port. Mac Mini is a good choice.. and on the Windows side... there;s the Intel NUC small form-factor PC... great as well.

Do note that.. most consumer ROUTER has USB port that allows you to plug in USB external drive and "shared" out to the network. It is NOT recommended to use this method for Drobo storage device...
08-21-2016, 06:43 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering why it wasn't a good idea to plug in my Drobo gen 3 into the usb 3 port on the back of my router? What types of problems will this cause?
08-22-2016, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2016 01:05 PM by Paul.)
hi am not 100% sure but i think its something to do with the way mounting (or unmounting) is handled, which could cause some corruption.

theres also some more information here about a drobo pro not being a nas device though having some other features:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01152

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)