Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo USB2/FW all LEDs on...
11-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Drobo USB2/FW all LEDs on...
My Drobo seems to have died... after rebooting, all LEDs are stuck on. Red on each drive bay, red power and all blue status lights preeminently on. Any way to recover from this, or is it bricked? If the later, should I be able to move the drives to another unit and have it boot and recover data?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 10:41 AM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo USB2/FW all LEDs on...
hi, there are a couple of ways to test things a bit more too, but for the drive moving, it should be possible via the migration process page:
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/

can i check what happens if you power all down (computer & drobo)
and to unplug all cables from the drobo
and to remove all drives (remembering the order) (we will Only put these back in later while power is Off)
and to then just power up the drobo on its own?
(what happens on the drobo?)

if it lits up drives and then goes into standby mode,
can you power up the computer and once that is up,
to then connect the fw cable to your (mac?)
(what happens on the drobo, and does dashboard see it)?

if drobo lights up, and dashboard doesnt see it, can you try a usb cable instead?
(if dashboard sees it as empty, then please power all off)

then, with power all off on drobo and computer
- to put the drives back into their slots, firmly
- to power on just the drobo (with only the power socket plugged in)
(what does drobo do now?)

if it is not all red, then please power up the computer
and then to connect the drobo to the computer (ideally via usb if it worked above)
(does dashboard and computer see it now?)

there are lots of litte steps/tests to try, but sometimes this works Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
11-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the response.

With everything shut down, the computer disconnected, drives removed and power unplugged from the Drobo. After plugging in the Drobo, all drive lights remain red and all capacity lights remain blue, indefinitely. It looks like it's stuck and unable to complete the boot sequence. I had read that a bad power supply can cause this (low voltage), but I swapped that out with another Drobo's PS and the behavior is the same. In addition it never shows up in the Drobo dashboard, so I can not run diagnostics. It never reaches the point where it connects via USB.

Only thing I've not tried is hard resetting the Drobo. Not been able to find much documentation on that...
11-11-2015, 12:12 PM
hi thanks for the info,

it does seem like your unit has a problem (especially if it seems to hang even when empty and not connected).
if the unit itself has a problem, then hopefully you could get another one and use your disk pack with it via the process.

another quick test could be to try a different power socket / wall socket, (just in case you were already using a multi-plug full of other devices all ultimately drawing power from the same wall switch?)

for hard resetting, there is a knowledgebase article with more details about the reset options for you which can be found here:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01424

if you can remember if your blue leds / usage was less before your unit stopped working, (and that it just suddenly stopped, rather than during a huge data backup where it got filled up for example) then maybe trying that reset process is a good next step.

(btw it should be mentioned in the articles already but just to play safe, only remove your disk packs when the unit is off and only put them in as a pack when the unit is off)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
11-11-2015, 06:24 PM
I want to start a new topic and I have posted new topics with no problems before, the last time about two months ago, but for some reason I can no longer find a button anywhere for "new topics." In this matter, "Search" is of no help at all. So I am a bit lost as to how to proceed.

Even though this is the wrong thread, here is my problem:

I have two Drobo 5D's, purchased in June, each loaded with 5 4TB drives, each filled to full recommended capacity.

About two weeks ago, as I was heavy into a project, the Drobo's suddenly went offline with the warning to always eject properly before disconnecting them. I had neither ejected or disconnected. I had them in a Thunderbolt chain.

I was not worried, as this had happened before and the Drobos had come right back up after I turned them off and back on again, or restarted. I had no need of the Drobos then so did nothing until I next restarted. I expected them to come back on but they did not.

I have been too busy to worry about it until today. Today, I did multiple restarts of both drives and iMac, but the Drobos never came back on. I tried switching ports and finally, with what had been the second drive in the chain, Drobo 2, connected to the computer through the iMac Thunderbolt port I had been using for other devices and the other daisy chained to it, Drobo 2 came back, but not Drobo 1. Again, I did multiple restarts and such. Neither Disk Utility or Drobo Dashboard shows it.

In the process of recycling during turn on, the lights on Drobo 1 eventually show as they did: four green and one yellow, but dimmer. They stay that way for a few minutes and then go off, leaving just a dim yellow light in the lower left corner of the unit.

This makes me think my data is probably ok, but of no use to me if I can't access it. Does anybody have a solution?

I will be happy to repost this properly as a new thread, with only the "new topic" button will reappear. Thank you.
11-12-2015, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 11:26 AM by Paul.)
hi frostdog, does this link work for you?
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/newthread.php?fid=62

can i check if you can try using a single direct connection usb cable to 1 drobo at a time, does the connection now work?
edit, especially on your drobo1

11-12-2015, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 12:15 PM by jfizer.)
Tried a hardware reset, no effect. Unit basically looks like the following image, minus the drives, and never leaves the displayed state.

[Image: 162715-drobo.jpg]
11-13-2015, 11:31 AM
thanks for more info,
if it was just a red power light it could be overheating, but i think your unit has broken as per this page:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01771
(where it says "A Drobo in good working order should always boot without any drives and show up in Drobo Dashboard")

usually if the drobo is fine without a diskpack, it would mean that the issue is with the pack but while there will likely be some cost involved, it does seem that a unit replacement in your case could let your diskpack work again, at least based on what we know so far.

11-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Got another unit off eBay (hard to find these older units these days) and the data seems to be recovering (though it says 63 hours to complete)... hate to just junk the old one, but as Bones said, "he's dead Jim". Perhaps I'll keep it around to take apart should I ever get bored.

Anyone know what happens if the unit loses power during recovery?
11-16-2015, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2015 02:41 PM by Paul.)
hi jfizer, thats good that you found another one and that it is rebuilding for you.
it will probably take about 1 day per 1tb of data that you have (give or take a bit) but please do let us know how the end turns out for you...

as far as i know, it should be able to continue via its battery backup design.
(ive experienced outages before, and thankfully still going strong... one of my older threads or "wd10eads" / "wd15eads" rather long threads probably mentions power at some point too -- but they are rather long threads) Big Grin