Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fan noise when doing backup
11-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Fan noise when doing backup
Hi ...

I have a Drobo 4 attached to my iMac with two old 1TB WDs and two new 3TB WDs. It's been fine until recently when it's started making a lot of noise. Fearing a hard drive about to die I ordered a new HD and when it arrived tried to figure out which drive was making all the noise.

It turned out none of them were. It seems to be at the back of the device, so I'm guessing my fan motor is dying.

Is there anything I can do about this? Show I replace the fan motor? HOW do I replace the fan motor?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2015, 10:36 AM
RE: Fan noise when doing backup
hi,
usually the fan will speed up and become louder (and draw more power etc) when the unit is busy and getting hot
i think if you were doing backups, then lots of prolonged activity of the drives is ok to make the fan kick in more strongly.

(if its actually making lots of bad noise, such as grating sounds then it could be a loose bearing or similar, but is that what it sounds like?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply