Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5 solid YELLOW lights
11-06-2015, 08:40 AM
5 solid YELLOW lights
My drobo 5D was showing that i was almost out of space, and was flagging Bay 1 with a solid RED light for replacement. The other 4 drives/lights were showing green and healthy. All 5 bays were populated with 2TB WD enterprise drives, so I purchased a 4TB enterprise drive and swapped it out with Bay 1. (this was all yesterday evening)

This morning i checked the 5D and all Bays are showing solid YELLOW lights, and the drobo is not recognized in by Windows or in the dashboard. Can anyone provide troubleshooting tips? Am I screwed at this point? Has the drobo or the drives failed? Please help.

thank you,
andrew
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2015, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015 12:25 PM by Paul.)
RE: 5 solid YELLOW lights
hi andrew,
in some cases, the drobo can become unavailable to dashboard or computer at some point during rebuilding, but would you be able to please check again just to be 100% sure that they have not started flashing yellow & green?
(its just that in sunlight, they might not be easily distinguishable, just in case it is actually rebuilding?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
11-21-2015, 03:18 PM
I have the same situation and can confirm that all five lights are solid yellow, not blinking yellow/green. If I leave it alone in that state, the Drobo also periodically reboots itself.

If I remove all the drives and connect the Drobo to my Windows 10 PC, the Drobo is recognized by both Windows and the Dashboard, and I get a message telling me to install a hard disk. Reinserting all of the disks causes the error situation (yellow drive lights & no recognition by Windows or Dashboard) to reoccur.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have a good deal of irreplaceable data on the drives. Am I correct in my belief that a pinhole reset would result in a loss of that data?

Thanks!

(11-06-2015 12:24 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi andrew,
in some cases, the drobo can become unavailable to dashboard or computer at some point during rebuilding, but would you be able to please check again just to be 100% sure that they have not started flashing yellow & green?
(its just that in sunlight, they might not be easily distinguishable, just in case it is actually rebuilding?)
11-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Well i can tell you what happened with mine. I ended up paying the $99 for the support ticket, and now two weeks later i finally have it resolved. My drobo had a bad drive in the array which was causing the yellow solid lights. the drobo tech support had me put the unit in Read Only mode and send them a diagnostics log. They were able to identify which drive was bad. I then had to get a new drive and clone the bad drive over to the new one. After this was done, I put my 4Tb drive back into the array and it was able to properly rebuild the array. Even after the rebuild, it was prompting that i was out of storage so i had to get another 4Tb drive and had the drobo rebuild again.

So all in all, i had to get 2 x 4Tb drives and 1 x 2Tb drive to get my drobo back in working order. The good news is that i didn't loose any of the data on the array and it's working again.

-andrew

(11-21-2015 03:18 PM)mhogan70 Wrote:  I have the same situation and can confirm that all five lights are solid yellow, not blinking yellow/green. If I leave it alone in that state, the Drobo also periodically reboots itself.

If I remove all the drives and connect the Drobo to my Windows 10 PC, the Drobo is recognized by both Windows and the Dashboard, and I get a message telling me to install a hard disk. Reinserting all of the disks causes the error situation (yellow drive lights & no recognition by Windows or Dashboard) to reoccur.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have a good deal of irreplaceable data on the drives. Am I correct in my belief that a pinhole reset would result in a loss of that data?

Thanks!

(11-06-2015 12:24 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi andrew,
11-23-2015, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 12:12 PM by Paul.)
many thanks for the update andrew, am glad that support was able to help and that the clone and subsequent rebuilds were successful for you. (it gives me more hope for a few other users working through the cloning process currently including yerry)

for mhogan,
i think a pinhole only destroys data on drobos having drives or ssds etc inside it but it might be worth checking with support first and if you can get a ticket raised too and hopefully they can help you in a similar way.

here is a link with more info about the reset process in case it helps:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01424
also: in case you end up doing a reset of the unit itself please remember to only put in your disk pack (or to remove it) when power is Off (unless otherwise instructed by support etc)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
08-26-2016, 03:49 AM
(11-23-2015 08:16 AM)kingandrew Wrote:  Well i can tell you what happened with mine. I ended up paying the $99 for the support ticket, and now two weeks later i finally have it resolved. My drobo had a bad drive in the array which was causing the yellow solid lights. the drobo tech support had me put the unit in Read Only mode and send them a diagnostics log. They were able to identify which drive was bad. I then had to get a new drive and clone the bad drive over to the new one. After this was done, I put my 4Tb drive back into the array and it was able to properly rebuild the array. Even after the rebuild, it was prompting that i was out of storage so i had to get another 4Tb drive and had the drobo rebuild again.

So all in all, i had to get 2 x 4Tb drives and 1 x 2Tb drive to get my drobo back in working order. The good news is that i didn't loose any of the data on the array and it's working again.

-andrew

I've got a dRodo S that appears to have dismounted from the iMac while in the middle of the rebuilding process that takes place when a drive is replaced.

All five drive bay lights are currently a solid amber.

A couple of weeks ago one of the three remaining 2TB drives bay lights turned a solid amber prompting me to replace it, which I did a few nights ago.

I replaced the 2TB drive with a larger 4TB and the dRobo S went into a projected thirty-seven hour rebuilding mode. At this point all the drive lights were flashing amber and green, which continued overnight and was still in process next morning when I left for work.

Later that day all five drive bay lights had turned a solid amber and the dRobo S was no longer mounted to MacOS, which was advising the dRobo had not been ejected properly.

I suppose one of the existing drives could have failed during the rebuilding process, but I suspect it's more likely the new 4TB Seagate is the culprit.

I suspect the new drive because the eBay seller I purchased it from sent me a faulty drive before. The seller replaced the drive back then and I did not think lightning would strike twice.
08-26-2016, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2016 11:53 AM by Paul.)
hi seamus,
in some case, the computer (and / or) dashboard, can lose access to the drobo sometimes during a rebuild (depending on the complexity of what has actually happened or based on what is happening at the time).

usually the rebuild process can last for about 1day per 1TB of data that you have (though some models could be a bit quicker, and some problematic drives, or data being in use, could slow that down a bit too)

can i check if you are aware of any possible powercuts that may have happened, such as if the computer had also rebooted or was off when you checked things? it could be that another drive failed, (but i think that could also be all red lights), though you may be able to try giving it a small jump start, for example as follows:

if you can check in dashboard, can dashboard currently see the all yellow bays drobo-s?
(if it can, does it have any other info there? if it is still not appearing to be doing anything, then you could try to use dashboard to shutdown the drobo)
if not, then if you can try powering down the computer
and once that is off, to wait a fair few minutes, and then see if the drobo goes into standby mode (which it may not do in that state but plese wait at least 5mins)
then if it powers off (or if it does not), please remove the computer connection cable from the drobo-s
and then wait another 5 minutes and then to power off the drobo-s and to remove the power cable from the drobo-s.

if you then wait another 5 minutes or so, and with power still all OFF and umplugged, to then try to gently eject each drive, and then firmly enough, insert them again back into where they were.

then if you can power up the drobo-s on its own, what does it do now?
does it go through the bootup sequence with blue led lights, from 1 through to 10?
(it may hang inbetween 1-10 so please can you let it for at least a few hours to see how things progress)
does it start continuing its rebuild, or does it perhaps go back into standby mode?

does it boot up and reboot in a loop? if there is a relatively easy way for you to capture this process please feel free to capture and to upload to youtube.com for example, as it may be useful for all to see it in action.

they may be a few ways forward, such as possibily trying to put it into standby mode, as mentioned here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?
(though if it does appear to be continuing with a rebuild, then please try to allow that to continue, for at least the amount of time that a full rebuild might take, just in case it could not continue and was starting from the start to play safe)

08-26-2016, 01:36 PM
I have a similar problem. 2 days ago, my Drobo FS sent me a notification that data protection was in progress. However, shortly afterwards, the drive became unresponsive/unfindable on my network and the lights all turned yellow. I eventually shut off the power and it rebooted normally (it seemed) until one drive had a red light next to it. The dashboard app said (because the Drobo then reappeared on the network) I needed to replace the red light drive because of memory space issues (even though that drive had more TB than some of the others). Within 10 minutes, though, the Drobo lapsed back into all-Amber mode. Not sure whether to just replace that one drive or what.

Thanks.
08-29-2016, 01:59 PM
hi salvatorej, would you be able to post back wiht some more info when you can, about which drives you have in which slot, for example:
1st slot, (which hard drive, and how big is it)
and for the other slots.

and also what the used space and free space values show in dashboard please?

08-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Thank you, Paul.

After restarting the Drobo FS again, I noticed that one of my drives had a solid red light next to it. That status didn't last long, as the Drobo then tried to go into data protection mode. This didn't continue, however, and eventually it became unresponsive with 5 solid green lights.

I then took the "red" drive out and restarted everything. Fortunately, the Drobo went into data protection mode and has been in this mode for the last 15 hours or so, with 61 hours to go. I have 6.81 TB used and 1.32 free (was different, obviously, before I took the drive out).

I had a drive fail before, but the Drobo *just* warned me and I replaced it without this kind of problem.

(08-29-2016 01:59 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi salvatorej, would you be able to post back wiht some more info when you can, about which drives you have in which slot, for example:
1st slot, (which hard drive, and how big is it)
and for the other slots.

and also what the used space and free space values show in dashboard please?