Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just out of box, will not power on
11-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Just out of box, will not power on
So I'm hoping to migrate my data from my malfunctioning Gen1 ( constantly rebuilding, so now I had to buy a new drobo and hopeful move the information over bit by bit ).

Bought a new gen3 4bay, plugged it into the power and computer. All I get when i hit the toggle switch is a green light ( on the switch ) that stays solid for about 1 second, then flickers for 2 seconds, then goes out. In that time the fan moves about a quarter rotation. No lights visible on the front of the unit.....

Did I buy a worse lemon than the one I'm trying to replace, or am I missing a step?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2015, 05:41 AM
RE: Just out of box, will not power on
Sounds like a bad power supply. Being new it's time to return it.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
11-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Can't tell if your joking or not, but I did smile.

Is there an easy avenue to getting a new one? I live in Canada, and have all my online packages sent to the a friends place in Seattle, it took me a month just to pick this unit up. I could hit an electronics store, if it won't void any warranty.

(11-06-2015 05:41 AM)AzDragonLord Wrote:  Sounds like a bad power supply. Being new it's time to return it.
11-06-2015, 02:52 PM
I wasn't kidding.....sorry. If it was purchased new, then I believe a replacement is in order either from your seller or Drobo directly.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
11-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Yes, it was purchased new from the Drobo store last month. I just picked it up from the shipping address.

Sigh, i'll submit a ticket, and regret my choice in product I guess.... Thank for the head up.

(11-06-2015 02:52 PM)AzDragonLord Wrote:  I wasn't kidding.....sorry. If it was purchased new, then I believe a replacement is in order either from your seller or Drobo directly.
12-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Yikes! My new Gen3 is not powering up either.
Pulled the drives out of my Gen2 after shutdown
Put them into the new G3. Dead!!! No lights, nothing
Put drives back into the G2
Tried the G3 without drives and got lights
Had to wait three days to rebuild the G2
Tried the G3 again...DEAD!
At least my G2 came back green this time
I've had major data loss with my G2 and was going to give up on Drobo until they again Sponsored TWiT and offered a discount.
Sadly I will probably get this fixed and never buy another Drobo.
BTW I've been working with hardware since the HP2100 in the 80's so I have skills and knowledge.
12-28-2015, 12:40 PM
hi dave, a migration from a gen2 to a gen3 should be possible as shown here:
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/

at first i was thinking that maybe your gen3 model got damaged in the post or something, but if it is working ok when empty (especially if dashboard can see it), then i was wondering about the rebuild....

can i check if you powered down the gen2 before removing the disk pack, but that you also had the gen2 powered down before you put the disk pack back in?

if yes, then its possible that the disk pack happened to encounter a problem, which prevented the gen3 from establishing recognition of a working pack, which the gen2 fixed again when it did the rebuild.

maybe you can try the following to see:
- what you could do is to try another spare / empty / new / blank drive in the gen3, to see what happens
if it works ok, then you could power the gen3 down, and remove that solo disk pack

and then to make a backup of your gen2 data if you can (expecially if you do not have one already), and to then try the migration process again from the migration page, and it may actually work this time.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)