Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16TB volumes + large itunes library…
11-03-2015, 10:21 AM
16TB volumes + large itunes library…
I have 5 x 3 TB WD Red drives in my Drobo 5D, dual redundancy, and a 16 TB volume. This config has been working flawlessly for almost 3 years, but now I need to expand. However, I was not aware of the 16 TB volume limit in BeyondRaid, and now I wonder what will happen when I surpass that, and the new 16 TB volume will be created.

I use my Drobo solely for my lossless Itunes library, and need to keep it within the same volume. My Itunes library today is "just" about 8 TB, but to keep dual redundancy I need the expansion. So what will happen when I keep adding Itunes files as usual, will they just stay there, and the Drobo sort of puts the protection/expansion data in the 2nd volume?

What would be the best way for me to expand?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2015, 10:36 AM
RE: 16TB volumes + large itunes library…
The "data protection" you refer to happens outside of the volume.

if your itunes library has to live on one volume, then it is limited to 16TB.

The only possible ways around this would be to use symbolic links...

So you could actually move some of your files onto the second volume.. but they would still look like they lived on the first volume.

Think of it a bit like a shortcut... it looks like a file.. and it opens like a file.. but actually its a link to a file on a different volume.

I have used them previously when i had a small SSD and a larger spinning disk.

i moved some of the games to the Spinning disk, Drive D.. but setup sym links so that they looks like they still lived int he same folder on the C drive that they always have (so i didnt have to reinstall them)

you would need to set this up manually

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
11-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Thanks, I will look into symbolic links!

Still, I don't understand how the reserved space for expansion + protection works visavi the 16 TB volume – as I said, I have an 8 TB itunes library at the moment, but I have to start expanding because I have 3 TB drives now and dual redundancy. But when I have replaced the 3 TB with 6 TB drives, can I keep letting the itunes library grow within the first 16 TB volume even after 2nd volume is created, as the itunes library itself is still not larger than those 8 TB?
11-03-2015, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 01:46 PM by Paul.)
hi holsapple, if i understand correctly, the 8tb that you have at the moment, is coming from your itunes library, which is on the 1st drobo volume (of max 16tb), of which your drobo is actually having about a little over 8tb of usable space.

if your 5d had larger drives, and your usuable space on drobo increased, then i believe that your 8tb library could grown on its own, within that existing 1st 16tb volume.

eg, if you upgraded 1 of the 3tb drives into a 4tb, then your usuable space would not really increase, because of DDR protection,

and when you later upgraded a second 3tb into a 4tb (you would still only have the same usable space that you have currently) until you later upgraded a 3rd 3tb into a 4tb (at which point your usuable space would increase by almost 1tb, and your library could grow a bit too.

one thing to note though, is that it would be good to keep an eye on your drobo blue lights and dashboard's available space, so that itunes does not try to utilise more free space than the drobo actually has, because your drobo does not actually have the 16tb max space as usable space, even if the computer thinks so)

i hope that makes sense but if not, ill let the good doctor explain, as a lot of my knowledge came from him Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
11-04-2015, 12:24 AM
Thanks Paul, yes, that's about it.

However, I need to expand with 5–6 TB drives instead. I am still ripping all my vinyl and will probably have a 12-13 TB itunes library in the foreseeable future… So what happens when I put in the third new 6 TB drive? What happens when that second 16 TB volume is created, and I preferably keep adding itunes files to the first volume?
11-04-2015, 11:23 AM
hi,
if docchris mentions 16tb is max, then you may need to try some of the tweaks that he mentions.

one thing i think would be good too, is to try to keep proprietary apple stuff that you get from the store, in the library, but to store anything that you manually create, such as your vinyl, out of any proprietory library system, and to simply store it as raw .wav for editing and then mp3 in one of your own folders. (i think it will save you more hassle in future but then again you might specifically want to use some itunes searching features)

if you do store this separately, then you could always have your vinyl backups in a folder on the 2nd 16tb volume, and to keep all the store items in the existing library? Smile

(if apple allows 2 library stores it can help too, but am not sure if that exists yet)

whatever you do though, please always make sure that your overall total useable space on drobo is not exceeded, even if the 2nd volume also shows 16tb available.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
11-09-2015, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 12:08 PM by holsapple.)
Thanks! However, as I am not in the Drobo game for the Drobo, but for the music, I will buy something with a single 32 TB volume instead – probably a Pegasus2 R8 – and "downgrade" my Drobo 5D to secondary backup. For that, I will not need the one 32 TB volume, as with my iTunes library.
11-10-2015, 10:55 AM
thats fair enough, there are other models that could help you with having drobo-features and larger volumes / storage, but at the end of the day it is always up to the individual.

actually that reminds me, i meant to get another record player as when one of my "pointersisters" records warped in the heat, i tried to bend it a little and it shattered into fragments... so maybe my process in that case wont be as "automatic" Big Grin

11-13-2015, 02:13 PM
(11-04-2015 12:24 AM)holsapple Wrote:  What happens when that second 16 TB volume is created, and I preferably keep adding itunes files to the first volume?

I do not really understand the problem here, but this is probably me.
You can add music to your first volume until you have reached the 16 TB. Then you have to think of something else. So right now, there is no need for a new system.
11-16-2015, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2015 01:01 PM by holsapple.)
Thanks, this is good to know now that my Drobo 5D is "downgraded" to secondary back-up. The reason I really want the larger volume right away is that my vinyl collection will be well over 16 TB anyway, when I have ripped my way through it all…