Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fan running when Mac sleeping or shut down
10-28-2015, 09:27 AM
Fan running when Mac sleeping or shut down
I've recently taken delivery of a 3rd Gen Drobo DAS. All is generally well, but a bit concerned that when my Macbook Pro goes to sleep that the fan is still running (but no lights on the front of the unit). Or if the MBP has been completely shut down, the fan is still whirling away (again, no lights) until I physically hit that switch.

Is it okay to leave the fan running during sleep? And why doesn't the entire unit shut itself down if I completely shut down the MBP?

Regards,

Martyn
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2015, 12:30 PM
RE: Fan running when Mac sleeping or shut down
hi, there are some housekeeping operations that try to run when idle, but can you remember the longest time from when the computer went to sleep etc, that the fan was still running for, and what the lights on the drobo were showing?

also, what happens if the computer is shutdown, does the drobo go into standby mode?
if so, what happens if you also unplug the connection cable from the drobo?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-29-2015, 02:59 AM
The only light is the power light (and you have to take the front cover off to see it). The drive lights are all off.

I've left it about 10 minutes after shutting down my Macbook Pro - fan was still going. I also unplugged from USB.

I guess I may just be fretting - after all, if I'm planning on eventually buying a 5N, that fan is going to be on 24/7. It's just that I find it unusual that the DAS unit does not completely shut down by its own accord unless, as you say, there are operations that take place once the unit is idle/in standby mode.
10-29-2015, 11:30 AM
hi thanks for more info,
it could also just be that heat usually takes time to dissipate and that the (still powered) fan is simply trying to remove a certain level of heat.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
11-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Hello - Just wanted to piggy back off of this to ask whether this was resolved.

I seem to have the same issue with my 3rd Gen 4 Bay Drobo - Interestingly enough, I do not get the same symptom with my 2nd Gen (with USB and FW ports) 4 bay Drobo connected to my Mac Pro. Was there a design change between the two units, as the 2nd Gen doesn't have a power switch on the back but the 3rd Gen does?

Cheers,
Vin.
11-27-2015, 12:18 PM
hi vin,
being a newer model, there was probably some design changes to some degree, but also just wondering which drives you have in your 3rd gen, compared with your 2nd gen?

(please dont try swapping any disk packs around but just wondering about the drives, as some makes and models can also generate more heat)

11-30-2015, 07:41 PM
Hi Paul,

So in my 3rd Gen, I have the following drives In this order from top to bottom:

1 x WD30EFRX-68E - 3TB - WD RED NAS
1 x WD30EFRX-68E - 3TB - WD RED NAS
1 x WD30EZRX-00D - 3TB - (WD Green)
1 x WD10EZRX-00A - 1TB (WD Green)

Hope this helps, but I still find it odd that with the Drobo shut down with no drive activity, that the fan would continue to run causing unnecessary wear and tear...

Cheers,
Vin.
12-01-2015, 12:47 PM
thanks for the info vin,

i was wondering what sort of ambient temperature do you have in that room with the drobo, and also the temp near the back of the drobo?

(how long is the longest that the fan keeps going for after you shutdown the computer? - and does the fan keep going if you unplug the connection cable once it goes into standby mode?

12-02-2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback Paul.

There is plenty of open space behind the Drobo - more so than the space behind by 2nd Gen Drobo which does not have this oddity. The room temperature is pretty normal where I have it too - room temp is anywhere between 70-74 and the humidity is anywhere from 35-45%

The fan continues to run for hours/days after the computer goes into sleep mode - I just checked as my computer is in sleep mode from last night and the fan is still running. I also unplugged the USB cable and still continues to run. I don't see any lights on the front of the Drobo but when I remove the face-plate, the power light is on and is a light green/yellow color.

Is this normal...?!

Cheers,
Vin.
12-02-2015, 10:26 AM
From my own experience and all the posts I've read the fan on the Gen 3 runs permanently when powered up.