Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Drobo DR04D-u (gen 1) ...makes all time restart.
11-25-2015, 09:09 PM
RE: Drobo DR04D-u (gen 1) ...makes all time restart.
I've been slowly transferring my data across to my spare dives as I back up and now I have another hard drive failure. The drobo start up and has all red lights now and asking too many hard drive have been removed. Please re-insert the removed hard drives. When I start up I can hear the drive spine up three times before it shuts down.

I was transferring about 30GB at a time and got to about 3TB of 8TB before this happen. As I had dual disk protection on, I hopping that I can still access the data.

How do I go about this so I can recover my files.

Regards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2015, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2015 11:30 AM by Paul.)
hi eason, well done for being able to backup 3tb so far. Smile (and for having patience and perseverance)

one thing that you could try would be to power all off, and to eject each drive and to firmly reinsert it again back into its current slot, just in case a drive wiggled free of its connection.
(its a long shot, but has been known to happen on occasion)
then to power up to see if you still get the latest all red issue.

but if that does not get you back to where you were, then i think it will be best to go ahead with the drive cloning process, (ideally for all drives, and definitely for the drive that you can hear trying to spinup a few times and failing, if you can pinpoint which one)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
11-30-2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your response. I'm not to sure, but I'm thinking that I should of done a clone before I started the transfer so if a drive failed I could of swop the fail drive out and continue with the transfer. I also had a backup in the cloud, but I'm still missing some of my data as the Internet in Australia is so slow and I didn't get all my files up. So I'm missing about 25% of my data.

I'm about to be away from my computer until next year, so it's going to be hard to get my remaining files off the drobo.

I know which drive has failed and its in bay 4, so it's been remove to protect it form further damage. If I need to send it of to a data recovery centre.

My question is once I clone all the remaining six drives that are working, what is my next step? Is the clone drive used as a backup incase of another drive fail?

As drobo has dual disk protection, why am I getting lock out of my data.
12-01-2015, 11:54 AM
hi eason, i believe usually they say to clone the drives and then to use the "clones" for further use or recovery / rebuilds.

i really do feel that you have done the best thing initially, which was to copy data while you still had access to it.

i say this because sometimes cloning processes can go wrong, such as a blank drive being used as a source to overwrite the original, or when people who have less experience with cloning try to clone, and with more and more drives needing a clone, the risk increases with something going wrong, and then nothing would have been accessible... if you see what i mean Smile

to be honest, being unable to access 1 single file, is not good in itself, let alone 25% (which as storage capacity increases, small perentages actually amount to quite a bit of data) though with the backups you have made during the copies, plus other ones you had, at least you have been able to cater for abotu 75% of the data which is pretty good considering).

and hopefully after cloning the drives, you can recover the rest. fingers (and toes) crossed for you, but please let us know how things get on eason

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)