Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Drobo DR04D-u (gen 1) ...makes all time restart.
10-16-2015, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2015 06:31 AM by tvogiat.)
Drobo DR04D-u (gen 1) ...makes all time restart.
It contains 3 hard disc (each 1TB),and it makes all tha time restart.
The hard disk appears to the computer and the light in drobo are green, after a minute the lights are blinking and in the computer shows the message "data protection in progress".
After I while (during the progress), the lights are blinking with red color, also the power light and its restart again. This is going happen all the time.
- I updated the software & firmware 1.3.8 (1.254.44085) to the last version.
- My files and partition is ok.
...my question is;
If I do buy a new drobo, will it recognize the old drives and make my data available?

Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2015, 12:56 PM
RE: Drobo DR04D-u (gen 1) ...makes all time restart.
hi, if it is always doing this rebuild and reboot process in a loop,
then one thing you could try would be the folllowing:

to power all down,
to remove the drives (remembering the order of them, and keep them out)
to disconnect the computer connection cable
to reboot the empty drobo
(what happens now?)

if it boots up as per usual (and then going into standby mode)
you can then power up the computer, and after computer is ready, connect it to the computer
(what happens now?)

if it works and is recognised by dashboard, (and just comes up empty) then it usually means that your drobo is ok, but that there is a problem with one or more drives. (this will have a possible solution which we can go through later on)

if the drobo still keeps rebooting over and over, while empty, then it is likely a problem with the unit (possibly with the power supply as well)

If you can try those to see how it goes, and to post back with more info when able, but please do "not" put the drives back in while the unit is on. (eg if you wanted to try again as before, then please only put the drives into the same slots as before, while all power is OFF)

thanks

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-17-2015, 12:54 PM
(10-16-2015 12:56 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi, if it is always doing this rebuild and reboot process in a loop,

to power all down,
(what happens now?)

you can then power up the computer, and after computer is ready, connect it to the computer
(what happens now?)

if it works and is recognised by dashboard, (and just comes up empty) then it usually means that your drobo is ok, but that there is a problem with one or more drives. (this will have a possible solution which we can go through later on)

if the drobo still keeps rebooting over and over, while empty, then it is likely a problem with the unit (possibly with the power supply as well)

If you can try those to see how it goes, and to post back with more info when able, but please do "not" put the drives back in while the unit is on. (eg if you wanted to try again as before, then please only put the drives into the same slots as before, while all power is OFF)

thanks

Thank you, I will do the testing...
10-25-2015, 07:02 AM
(10-16-2015 12:56 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi, if it is always doing this rebuild and reboot process in a loop,

to power all down,
(what happens now?)

(what happens now?)

thanks

Hello Paul,

i removed all the drives and reboot the drobo. when it is empty the drobo is working well. the recognized it as empty. (the first light is red and it is waiting to put the disk)
i don't have put the disks.

what is the possible solution now??

thank you very much in advance
regards txvgr
10-26-2015, 02:47 AM
Drobo Gen1 is a really very old.. the grandparent of all Drobos Smile

With the Drobo Gen1 unit without drives able to boot up normal and Top Most Drive Bay RED and Dashboard prompting to insert drive. It seems that the hardware (Drobo Gen1) is good and well. If without drives and is NOT doing a rebooting loop or all empty drive bays are NOT RED... then we are also certain is a good Drobo Gen1 hardware.

In your case, is likely to be a Disk Pack issue. And for your info, migrating this Disk Pack to another same model Drobo Gen1 will NOT help as the problem is with the Disk Pack.

And also Disk Pack from Drobo Gen1 has very limited migration path... as is a very old hardware. Drobo Gen1 Disk Pack can't be migrated to the latest Drobo Gen3 or Drobo 5D.
10-26-2015, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 10:24 AM by Paul.)
thanks for the info,
as don mentions, it seems that some drives are having multiple issues which are causing the rebuild, and the gen1 can essentially only handle 1 drive failing at a time.

if the drobo and data is only accessible for a very short time, then it will be hard to copy and paste and verify data somewhere else, but i think some possible ideas forward are these:

1) retrying after successful hardware tests:
1a) to power all off,
1b) to put back the drives in the same order as they were in (but to put them back in firmly so as not being loose)
1c) to unplug any usb connection cables
1d) to power up the drobo again

(and to see what it does: if it keeps rebooting again instead of going to standby, stop here.)
or 1e) if it boots up as normal and goes to standby, to power up the computer and when computer is fully booted up, to attach the usb cable again and see what happens.

(if it keeps rebooting, especially with the same time interval between reboots, you might as well power down the computer and stop here)

2a) faulty drive bypass:
this is a similar to the steps in approach 1) above,
but this time, when you power off and remove drives, try to put drives back into different slots.

(what happens now?)

3) drive clonings
1 or more drives may need to be block cloned, similar to yerry's ticket case here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(approach 3 potentially has more costs associated with it though is probably the best thing to try first from a drive safety point of view, but approaches 1 and 2 have less costs from a money perspective)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
11-09-2015, 03:18 AM
I had this same issues and I can get my drobo to stop restart.

At the moment I have a DroboPro 8 Bay Gen 1 and every time the drobo start, within the minute it set itself into rebuild mode for an hour and reset every time, exactly an hour every time.

I have tried to trouble shoot by removing all drives and restarted, the normal start up as normal.

Next I have tried to have one drive in one slot at the time going through all the drives to see if I can clear the block port.

The only thing I haven't tried in to place the drive into different slots, I'm not to sure what would happen.

I have order the new 810n, but in Australia it's going to be another 3 week or so before I see this arrived.

I would like to know if you can log into the Drobo in the back end using terminal or some other program and tell it to stop/pause rebuilding so I can collect all the data of the device before it reset it self.

Your support in this matter will be much appreciated.
11-09-2015, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 10:00 AM by Paul.)
hi eason, sorry to hear youve got a problem with your drobo,
please read all of this before trying anything though...

if it is exactly at the 1 hour mark, each time, then it could be that particular drive sectors on certain drives are being reached at some point in a rebuild process, and encountereing problems at the same point each time,
but it could also possibly be that a computer task is maybe being scheduled as well.

what happens if you power down the computer (windows or mac?) and when the computer is powered off, to wait a few minutes and to unplug the connection cables from the drobo..... does the drobo go into standby mode, or does it still reboot every hour?

if it does not help, then there are some more possible ways forward, (including some future cloning), but first i think if you have 1 hour each time, where your data is accessible then i really think it is a good time to make some backups of any important data to play safe before trying other methods. (i know it will not be ideal, especially if you have lots of data, but its a good idea to make some backups if/while data is available)

i am not 100% sure if this will help you (or if rebuilds are affected by this mode), but there is a toggle way to put the drobo into read only mode via the dashboard, by pressing Control+Shift+alt+R and it should show "(RO)" if it has worked.

if it works, then it might help to make the backups a bit easier, with more uptime of the drobo.

some tips for backups would be to do a verified backup if possible (but also to disable any windows search indexing tools or antivirus if safe, just to help speed up the backup process).

I dont think that the drive order would make a difference here (though all drive reordering should only take place while the drobo is off), but if you get a chance would you be able to take a few screenshots of the dashboard tabs and to post links to an imgur page or similar just to see the lights and info there?
(if you do, please remember to rub out your serial number from the images before uploading, to play safe)

thanks

11-12-2015, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 04:37 AM by Eason.)
Thanks for your help,

I have tried a number of ways to get the ball rolling.

1) Power down the computer before the rebuilding start - Drobo shut down as normal.

2) Power down the computer while rebuilding is in progress - Drobo shuts down at the hour mark but doesn't restart.

3) Used a second computer (Mac) and installed drobo dashboard 2.6.4 (Im running 2.7.0 on my iMac) to see if this could be the issues with the drobo dashboard software or computer - Drobo continue to restart after an hour.

4) Put the drobo into RO mode - Drobo continue to restart after an hour.

There has been no antivirus running and I don't think that the indexing has been running in the back round.

When it's conducting an rebuild, it never been gives a time line of the progress. Just keeps saying "Calculating time"

I have bay one empty at the moment, but I have tried a number of new drives in this bay and nothing seems to make the difference.

[Image: Screen%20Shot%202015-10-10%20at%201.03.24%20pm.png]

[Image: Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%203.45.30%20pm.png]
11-12-2015, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 11:12 AM by Paul.)
thank you for the screens and info eason,
as the reboots seem to happen at the same time, it seems more likely that it is related to multiple drive issues, rather than computer / applications.

as the drobo recognnised that the computer was not attached/on, and it went into standby, it makes me wonder this:
after putting your drobo into RO mode, does it still reboot if dashboard (and dashboard service if running) is stopped and closed/quit?

Overall though, and it will probably be hard to do, but i think it will be good to try making backups of your files, during those 1hour timeframes between reboots, especially of any important data files while you can access them.

this will probably take time to do, but if those new separate different drives are working fine, then i think its definitely worth it to back up onto them meanwhile.

red light bay:
the redlight bay (that you tried with other different new drives too) may have become damaged over time in some way, and that could simply mean that the bay is not usable anymore (usually from tilting or moving a drobo when drives are inside it, but has also happened on a few other user's cases in the past)......but, it may just be related to the existing disk pack/rebuild issue.

one way to test this,
would be to power all off, and to remove your whole disk pack (remembering the order),
to then power up just the drobo (it will probably boot up as you did in one of your earlier tests, and probably then going to standby mode)
but.... in this case, if you then try inserting one of your new different (not from the disk pack) separate blank drives into slot 2 (eg the 2nd hole from the left) does the drobo now recognise it as a drive, and turns into green later?

(you may need to put the drobo out of RO mode though)

If it does, then you can try powering down, and with power off, to move that 2nd slot drive, into slot1, and to power up again. if it treats it as before, and recognises that it is in slot1 this time, then the slot seems to be working ok....and likely meaning that slot1 was not working with your main disk pack. (as before, anytime your drive pack is moved in or out, should only be done while power is Off)

i think you had ddr enabled (and that if you only had sdr your data would not be available), but after you have hopefully made those backups, i think you may need to then follow a block cloning process as in yerry's linked thread, to address multiple simultaneus drive failures that are occuring during the rebuilds.

The bay test above, is just an idea to find out if the bay still works, but honestly i would strongly recommend making backups first before trying any bay tests, at least for your most important data. (as far as know you still have acces to your data, just only for 1 hour at a time?)