Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does Drobo 2nd Gen support 6TB drives?
10-04-2015, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 08:15 AM by kutxitril.)
Does Drobo 2nd Gen support 6TB drives?
Hi all,

I am owner of a Drobo 2nd Gen, which supports hard drives >2TB after upgrading Drobo firmware to 1.4.0 or higher. In these forums, 4TB drives have been shown to work well. My question is whether 6TB drives, such as Green Caviar WD, also work fine in Drobo 2nd Gen.

Thanks,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2015, 08:00 PM
RE: Does Drobo 2nd Gen support 6TB drives?
Is recommended capacity HDD for Drobo Gen2 is 4TB. 5TB and 6TB new HDD will work on newer Drobo 5D, 5N, Gen3 etc, as their firmware is updated to support larger/newer drives.
12-24-2015, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2015 10:14 AM by Spiney.)
Been away for a while, and I'm back, for basically the same issue as it was when I left. Here we are again then. I had a Drobo first gen which was sold with "up to 16TB support, when drives are available". Problem was that actually that didn't work, the thing wouldn't accept more than 2TB drives and after much back and forth I ended up with a second gen, and the assurance that "don't worry, this will work with ANY size drive now, we've got a better CPU and new firmware". I now have two second gens, one with 4x3TB and one with 2X2TB and 2x1.5TB. It's time to add more storage to the main one (4x3TB) and I was looking at 4TB and 5TB, which are only a few bucks more. Are you saying I CAN'T use the 5TB drives? Or is this another case of deceptive advertising?

Drobo V2 w/ 2x3TB WD EZRX Greens+2x5TB WD EFRX Red , second Drobo v2 with 2x3TB + 2x2TB (all WD Greens) on a Mac Mini i7 with Yosemite.
12-24-2015, 09:59 AM
I'm not certain anyone has tried larger drives in a Gen2 machine...or they did and didn't report back. The 4TB limit may be a myth. You could try it and let us know. Smile

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
12-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Not sure I'm ready for guinea pig duty. Anyone tried >4TB in a second generation and lived to tell the tale?

Drobo V2 w/ 2x3TB WD EZRX Greens+2x5TB WD EFRX Red , second Drobo v2 with 2x3TB + 2x2TB (all WD Greens) on a Mac Mini i7 with Yosemite.
12-24-2015, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2015 04:02 PM by Paul.)
hey cool spiney is back Smile (wb)

i cant remember 100% but i think elai has been trying several drive combinations and i think even 8tb drives in one of his drobos, but probably good to read up on some of his posts from earlier this year. (he might be a special lucky case though as his documentation manual is the Book of Elai) Big Grin (sorry elai i couldnt resist again)

on a slightly more serious note, i was actually thinking the other day about firmwares and the following thoughts came to mind:

- as far as i know, firmwares are usually written to and stored on some kind of eprom chip, essentially memory which has a limited amount of space (likely the same on other non-drobo hardware too)

- when new hard drives come out, and different manufacturers release different versions of their own firmwares / models, the base drobo-firmware code is probably updated with additional code to cater for them.

- if the firmwares can not hold all of the (growing) related code, then the onboard chips might need expanding
(but, i think it adds extra cost to the unit, which in turn makes consumer prices rise)

- so it got me thinking that maybe, just maybe, if the above was a possible cause of not being able to have 1 huge firmware that can cater for all drives, past and present, then maybe there could be a firmware split made available?

the basic idea would be that only those users who specifically knew that they wanted to use very large drives (or that they knew they would only use them), would then upgrade to the firmware which only supported the large drives (plus as much as possible from other smaller drives as would fit), and that way the larger drives could be used. (there might need to be some caveats etc in terms of how to go back to using smaller drives again but it could help)

another idea i mentioned in the past was having a modular approach to future drobos, whereby main aspects of a drobo are split into detachable modules, but still all interlinked with highspeed connections/circuitboard slots.
eg:
- the firmware and beyond raid logic controller code
- the memory
- the cpu
- & the storage slots
- the psu area

this way, anyone who needs some more app memory can simply upgrade the memory, and anyone needing more cpu power (or psu power) could simply upgrade that module.

(of course the hardware itself would probbaly have some limits, such as certain motherboards can only go up to so much ram etc, but the idea came to me again the other day so i thought id post it) Smile
also: if there was a firmware split option, maybe having firmwares by manufacturer, such as if certain people only use certain drives for example, then there could be a WD firmware made available which could cater for every wd sata drive.

future possibilities could even be a downloadable customisable firmware, based on which drives a user selects from a webpage similar to the Capacity Calculator, and it builds a firmware version on the fly for the user .... (again probably not great for basic users wanting plug and play, but might be a way to get around the physical memory limit for firmware space for techies)? Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-30-2015, 12:20 PM
OK, my WD Red 5TB drives showed up. Number 1 is in there, it's recognized by my Gen 2 and "Data protection is in progress".
[Image: 23986553931_6f74e904e7_z.jpg]

12-30-2015, 02:38 PM
hi spiney, curret guesstimate is that it should be finished by wed/thurs next week but if it happens any sooner please let us know Smile

btw is this the same drobo you mentioned on the logs threads?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-30-2015, 03:36 PM
(12-30-2015 02:38 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi spiney, curret guesstimate is that it should be finished by wed/thurs next week but if it happens any sooner please let us know Smile

btw is this the same drobo you mentioned on the logs threads?
I'll update the thread when (if?) it ever finishes, and no, it's not the Drobo from the logs thread. That's my other one that typically gets the cast offs from this one after a storage upgrade. I want to know if there's a particular drive in there that I should replace first with the 3TB I just took out. I'm waiting for the rebuild here to complete before I do that in case the 3TB has to go back into this one.

01-11-2016, 05:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 05:45 AM by Spiney.)
AND IT'S FINISHED!! Second drive replacement rebuild finished during the day yesterday, and I now have 2x5TB Reds and 2x3TB Greens in the main Drobo. The second one wasn't looking like it would ever finish it's rebuild, so I gave up (it was only secondary backups) and re-formatted with 2x2TB Greens and the 2X3TB Greens I pulled from the first one. All looks OK right now.