Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DROBO FS i can ping it but cant get to it
10-02-2015, 05:37 PM
DROBO FS i can ping it but cant get to it
loss of power.. brought it back up and it wouldnt mount.. ran the repair tool.. 2 days later its back up. no errors says healthy.. i can ping it by name and ip but i cant get to it by mapping it windows or browsing on my network now. i have the ip static workgroup is workgroup like all the pc's.. i can see the share and add and delete new shares on the drive. give and take permissions and after rebooting it each change i still cant see my files. its current on firmware as well. it lets me select the share name and mount it to a drive letter but doesnt show up on my pc. when i try and map it windows is indicating SMB isnt responding on that device. dash board is 2.6.4.. i have diags before the repair and after. someone please help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2015, 07:52 PM
RE: DROBO FS i can ping it but cant get to it
so i loaded dashboard on another machine and it upgraded me to 2.6.9 and i still cant mount the share. its killing me here.. someone please help me out
10-04-2015, 05:59 AM
isolating the network ive directly connected the drobo to my laptop via Ethernet. drobo got a 169 address as expected and i can ping by name and ip successfully but still no access to mapping or browsing to it. windows diags comes back with this

"The remote device or resource won't accept the connection Detected Detected

The device or resource (drobo) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"

clearly the network port is functioning. the SMB protocol isnt binding. the drobo dash board is showing everything is clean and healthy. is there a way to "refresh" the OS or reinstall the drivers or SOMETHING to get me access to the files?

if i got a "new" FS can i just swap the drives after updating the new FS to the same firmware?
10-04-2015, 03:05 PM
i bought a used working FS.. verified the mounts and share points worked fine. all versions match. shut them both down and put my hard drives in the "new" box. after it came back up im having the exact same issue. the problem is in the software mount. it will NOT mount any share points or when it occasionally actually does says successful the shares arent mounted and when i go back to the dashboard the mount check is gone.

the drive set was at 85% full so the thought occurred to me maybe pull the smallest drive.. let it freak out and then reinsert the drive and force a data protection to happen.. last time it took several days but that was when it had the internal error and i had to run the repair option in tools.

i also put the 3 drives that came with the used FS in my old FS and everything came up perfectly. i can access in every way. proving it wasnt hardware.

ill update when the data protection is done..
10-05-2015, 06:20 AM
forcing the data protection didnt help. i even replaced a 1 tb with a new 2tb to see if expanding the pack helped and it didnt.

i cant think of anything else to do here. any advice would be appreciated.
10-05-2015, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 09:24 AM by trimbleepic.)
After reading through your posts, at first I was going to suggest manually reflashing the firmware with the drives out... but, since you acquired an additional FS chassis to test with (like I did), you pretty much ran that test...

So, my current question would be: When the disks are in, and you start up the drobo, does the dashboard show the repair option?

The part that's confusing me is that you said you can access the shares (I assume you mean the shares screen within the dashboard) and add/remove shares, edit user access etc... When I had the same problem with my Drobo FS failing to mount the shares, the dashboard would not let me into the shares section... This makes me think your issue is different than mine was...

Do you have a spare empty hard drive that you could test with? Specifically - so that you could pull out your disk pack containing your precious data, and put in a test disk that you can use to load an SSH tool, letting you remote into the system and check the internal logs...

You can look at what I had to go through over here: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?
10-05-2015, 09:37 AM
(10-05-2015 09:23 AM)trimbleepic Wrote:  After reading through your posts, at first I was going to suggest manually reflashing the firmware with the drives out... but, since you acquired an additional FS chassis to test with (like I did), you pretty much ran that test...

So, my current question would be: When the disks are in, and you start up the drobo, does the dashboard show the repair option?

The part that's confusing me is that you said you can access the shares (I assume you mean the shares screen within the dashboard) and add/remove shares, edit user access etc... When I had the same problem with my Drobo FS failing to mount the shares, the dashboard would not let me into the shares section... This makes me think your issue is different than mine was...

Do you have a spare empty hard drive that you could test with? Specifically - so that you could pull out your disk pack containing your precious data, and put in a test disk that you can use to load an SSH tool, letting you remote into the system and check the internal logs...

You can look at what I had to go through over here: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

no the repair option is no longer an option. it WAS when my power company did the same thing to me.

yes i can see the shares in dashboard only.. make changes-add-change permissions. i have spare drives but im not sure what loading a SSH tool will tell me about my diskpack. will the internal logs show information on a diskpack no longer in the FS?
10-05-2015, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 11:08 AM by trimbleepic.)
Yeah, the Repair.log, if it exists, lives in the firmware's space off the diskpack, so if you can load Dropbear using a spare disk pack (consisting of just one drive), you could SSH in and read the repair.log file. That's what I did to prove I had the dreaded "multiply-claimed blocks" problem.

Another thing you could do with a spare disk is to check to make sure the drobo can still share files.. Specifically, you could take out your precious disk pack, put in the spare drive as a test disk pack, reset the drobo, and see if you can successfully connect to shares on the test pack (i.e. public). ... Actually, since you now have a second FS chassis, you could use that chassis to initialize the spare drive as a test disk pack, so you wouldn't even have to go through the reset-the-drobo procedure on your main chassis... (which, again, is exactly what I did).

If that works, but your main disk pack doesn't, then that proves the problem is on the disk pack - probably the Linux file system corruption; not corruption of the Drobo block-level that lives under the Linux file system (as was proven when you swapped out a 1tb for a 2tb)

If you SSH into the Drobo, you could also check to see if the disk pack is actually mounted (if I remember correctly, it would appear at /mnt/DroboFS/ ) ... I think that's probably actually working, since the Dashboard is showing your shares... The corruption is more likely somewhere that affects the networking/sharing system, though I don't know enough about Linux to figure that part out... but if I were facing your problem, that's what I would be googling for right now...
10-05-2015, 01:53 PM
(10-05-2015 11:04 AM)trimbleepic Wrote:  Yeah, the Repair.log, if it exists, lives in the firmware's space off the diskpack, so if you can load Dropbear using a spare disk pack (consisting of just one drive), you could SSH in and read the repair.log file. That's what I did to prove I had the dreaded "multiply-claimed blocks" problem.

Another thing you could do with a spare disk is to check to make sure the drobo can still share files.. Specifically, you could take out your precious disk pack, put in the spare drive as a test disk pack, reset the drobo, and see if you can successfully connect to shares on the test pack (i.e. public). ... Actually, since you now have a second FS chassis, you could use that chassis to initialize the spare drive as a test disk pack, so you wouldn't even have to go through the reset-the-drobo procedure on your main chassis... (which, again, is exactly what I did).

If that works, but your main disk pack doesn't, then that proves the problem is on the disk pack - probably the Linux file system corruption; not corruption of the Drobo block-level that lives under the Linux file system (as was proven when you swapped out a 1tb for a 2tb)

If you SSH into the Drobo, you could also check to see if the disk pack is actually mounted (if I remember correctly, it would appear at /mnt/DroboFS/ ) ... I think that's probably actually working, since the Dashboard is showing your shares... The corruption is more likely somewhere that affects the networking/sharing system, though I don't know enough about Linux to figure that part out... but if I were facing your problem, that's what I would be googling for right now...

the original drobo is how housing a 3tb and 2 2tb drives with 2 open slots and it is working perfect. the precious disk pack is in the "new" FS and cant be accessed. does the SSH app allow me to fix anything or just look? are there tools to fix ANY of these drobos? maybe a Linux Fix IT button?? lol
10-05-2015, 05:57 PM
ok. dropbear is installed and im using PuTTY to access using root/root

how do i get access to read that repair.log file? what are some basic commands?