Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
ALL DRIVES CRITICAL - RED
09-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Exclamation ALL DRIVES CRITICAL - RED
RECENTLY I SWAPED DRIVE BETWEEN TWO DROBOS I HAVE. I'M PRETTY SURE I WAITED FOR THE RECONSTRUCT PROCESS TO FINISH.

NOW ONE OF THE DROBOS DOES NOT RECONGIZE ALL OF THE DRIVES, AND I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK.

IS THERE A WAY AT LEAST 3 DRIVES TO INITIATE THE RECOVERY PROCESS?

I HAD THE TWO DRIVE RECOVERY FAILURE OPTION ACTIVATED

IF THERE IS NO TROUBLESHOTING STEPS, PLEASE RECOMEND ME A GOOD DATA RECOVERY COMPANY.

THANKS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2015, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 10:39 AM by Paul.)
RE: ALL DRIVES CRITICAL - RED
hi,
can you post back when you can, some more info about your drobo models and drives?

for example:

Drobo A (model?)
slot 1 = drive make? , size? (and what is the slot light showing or doing?)
slot 2 = drive make? , size? (and what is the slot light showing or doing?)
etc

Drobo B (model?)
slot 1 = drive make? , size? (and what is the slot light showing or doing?)
slot 2 = drive make? , size? (and what is the slot light showing or doing?)
etc

and also which drives you swapped from which slots, and how much data you have on each drobo?

and we can try to help,
thanks,

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-29-2015, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 09:13 AM by yerry.)
Thanks paul for your support:

Drobo A: (Working Fine, all green) - Dual Redundancy - Drobo S
Slot-1 - 4TB Western Digital - Green
Slot-2 - 4TB Western Digital - Green
Slot-3 - Empty
Slot-4 - 3TB Western Digital - Green
Slot-5 - 3TB Western Digital - Green
Used Space: 4.54 TB
[Image: Drobo_1.jpg]

Drobo B: (Failing, All Red) - Dual Redundancy - Drobo 5D - mSATA SSD
Slot-1 - 2TB Western Digital - Red
Slot-2 - 3TB Western Digital - Red
Slot-3 - 4TB Western Digital - Red
Slot-4 - 4TB Western Digital - Red
Slot-5 - 4TB Western Digital - Red
Used Space: 6.8 TB
[Image: drobo.jpg]

What I Did:
1) I Swaped disks between Drobos, My intention was to move the bigger drives to the older Drobo, and I waited each time to the yellow/green light process to finish before move to the next drive.

2) The error came out when I moved the Third drive to the older Drobo (empty now), moved the drive back but had no luck.

3) I waited for the green/yellow process to finish on the Older Drobo hoping not to lose that data...

Really Hope you can help me with this... I had 3 years of pictures, videos and other data on the failing Drobo.

Now I'm planning a Triple backup system to have triple data redundancy, I will have a internal RAID on my tower and will use the Drobos to have an exact copy, plus the cloud. Would you recommend me a good Incremental backup software?

Thanks again for your help.
10-01-2015, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2015 01:55 AM by drobodobbie.)
Hi Yerry,

it looks like you cannot remove any more drives with dual redundancy.
You have round about 8 TB of disk space from which you use round about 7 TB.

You said in your first post that you are pretty sure you have waited until the restructuring process was finished.
Are you sure or not? If you removed a drive during this your data might be corrupted.

Did you try to shut it down and restart?
Did you try to set it to singe disk redundancy?

These are the two things I would try but I am no expert here.

PS. And yes, for very important data you should have at least 3 backups from which one is not in the same building as the other ones.
10-01-2015, 09:59 AM
thanks for more info yerry, (and thanks dobbie - net was out yesterday)

for the backup software, im very happy to talk you through my syncback process which is windows-based, though probably good to try and sort out the current issues meanwhile...

at first glance... if you had DDR on both drobos, and if all lights were stable (solid unblinking lights, mostly green, or even with a solid red or solid yellow) then the removal of one of the drives shouldnt usually cause it to fail in the way you describe. - though it would be good to know the answers to dobbies questions when you get a chance?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
10-04-2015, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 03:08 PM by yerry.)
(10-01-2015 01:54 AM)drobodobbie Wrote:  Hi Yerry,

it looks like you cannot remove any more drives with dual redundancy.
You have round about 8 TB of disk space from which you use round about 7 TB.

You said in your first post that you are pretty sure you have waited until the restructuring process was finished.
Are you sure or not? If you removed a drive during this your data might be corrupted.

Did you try to shut it down and restart?
Did you try to set it to singe disk redundancy?

These are the two things I would try but I am no expert here.

PS. And yes, for very important data you should have at least 3 backups from which one is not in the same building as the other ones.

Thanks for your answer.

1) I called tech support and they recommended me to shut down, eject all drives and restart, NO LUCK !!!

They said because my Drobo is no longer supported so I'm abandoned here Sad

2) I Can't Access the Drobo Settings is greyed out.
(10-01-2015 09:59 AM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for more info yerry, (and thanks dobbie - net was out yesterday)

for the backup software, im very happy to talk you through my syncback process which is windows-based, though probably good to try and sort out the current issues meanwhile...

at first glance... if you had DDR on both drobos, and if all lights were stable (solid unblinking lights, mostly green, or even with a solid red or solid yellow) then the removal of one of the drives shouldnt usually cause it to fail in the way you describe. - though it would be good to know the answers to dobbies questions when you get a chance?

Thanks Paul.

I'm pretty sure I waited for the whole process to finish on every move.
I'm pretty sure I had the DDR set on the failing Drobo but I can't confirm it now because it unavailable.

Also I cant access to Drobo Settings because is grayed out.

[Image: DROBO_2.jpg]
Is there a way to access the mSATA to see if I can recover some of the data?
10-05-2015, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 11:38 AM by Paul.)
Hi yerry, thanks for information...
at the high level, if there is a chance that you swapped drives out too early, then i am not too sure of an easy fix.
if a drive went bad during the process and before adequate protection could kick in, then you might need to heavier duty recovery.

As fas as i know, the only way to stand a better chance of recovering from failed drives etc, would be to stop trying anything else on them, and to only have them profesionally cloned via the usual block clone process, (twice if possible) and then to only use the clones in any recovery process (possibly repeating the clone a 2nd time from the 1st untouched master clone after each failed attempt)

it may not be ideal, though assuming clones are available then some more thoughts are below

notes:
_____
comments are welcome from all, though am just thinking aloud at the moment about some thoughts...

drobo "a" works fine... drobo "a" has the problem:
(does drobo "a" have any data that was also on drobo "b") ?
(for example is some of your data from "b" still also backed up there on "a")

Is drobo B currently still doing anything? (is it making drive chatter as though it is trying to rebuild something?) probably not but just to check...

(ideas)
possible process for drobo "b" could be to power it all down, and to remove the latest drive that you added there, and to then power up and see if the drobo acts any differently - if too many drives are already removed, it could well be that nothing actually happens, in which case you might as well poer back off and put the drive back in still while off.

possible idea 2) to instead, simply power off and remove the msata, leaving the other drives where they are, and seeing if the drobo reboots again.
(this assumes that power needs to be turned off at some point, and that removing the msata while off, or plugging it back in again while still off, is non-destructive. i dont know for sure, and the msata might lose some charge over time unlugged, but it might be fine for the test.)

im not sure if the msatas are formatted in a certain way, or if they can simply be plugged into a card reader to have the most recently cached content read off them. (id be pleasantly surprised if reading data was that easy)

10-06-2015, 07:10 AM
Hi yerry,

do you still know which drive you swapped last?
Then swap it back. Best would be to power off both Drobos, switch the last drive back into Drobo B and only power this one on.
If Drobo B is not reacting in any way, turn it off again and put the drive back into Drobo A so that at least this one is working.

Then you could try software like Data Rescue to get some data back from Drobo B. (If the Drobo is still mounted or can be mounted via disk utility.)
The mSata is at the underside of the Drobo unit and this data should be recoverable.

So in the end, if swapping back the last drive does not work, you will have to reset your Drobo B and loose everything on it!
10-06-2015, 10:30 AM
After reading this, it seems unclear if the Drobos were powered down or powered up when the transferred drive was inserted..

Is there a chance that the B drobo was powered down when you put the drive in?

When adding a drive to an existing disk pack, Drobos need to be awake and aware of what's going on so that they don't get confused. If you put a drive from one Drobo into another while the receiving Drobo is powered off, then when it powers up, it can get confused as to which drives belong to the disk pack you want to keep, and which drive you tried to add to it.

If that's the case, then I would power down and remove the recently added drive and power back up to see what It it does.
10-06-2015, 09:23 PM
what trimbleepic said is correct.

When swapping drives between 2 Drobo units, it has to be done when they are powered ON.
This way the newly added drive will be absorb into the existing disk pack by the firmware.

If is done when the Drobo unit is powered OFF, swap in the replacement drive and power ON. The replacement drive still contains Drobo;s metadata belonging to the orig disk pack that it came from. This will cause the firmware on boot... hey.. my disk pack is this.. but here is a "new" drive with does not belong to me...

Insert replacement drive (which is from other Drobo unit) .. into another Drobo... down while power ON. Firmware simply accept that drive and re-init it to swipe out all existing data and also other disk pack metadata.