Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo thinks that drive is dead, tests say no...
09-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Drobo thinks that drive is dead, tests say no...
Hello,

I encountered an odd problem with the Drobo claiming that the particular hard drive (WD green 3TB) is malfunctioning. After replacing it I run GRC Spinrite on it and indeed it have found two bad sectors and repaired them. However, neither the original Drobo in which this drive have been nor the other one that I have, won't recognize this drive as a good drive any more, in any bay.
I further tested the drive both by running Spinrite on it few more times (all reported good) and repartitioning it and using it in Windows and Linux machines. Drive partitioned, formatted and tested to "no end" by heavy usage - working fine. However, if I attempt to put it as a new drive in any of my Drobos, any bay... - same blinking red light, Drobo see it properly, reports that it is indeed 3TB drive in Dashboard, but reports it dead and won't integrate it in...
Whats happening? Any Ideas? Thanks...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2015, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2015 10:10 AM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo thinks that drive is dead, tests say no...
hi, ive been learning more about spinrite and a couple of things come to mind...

1) some people including the author, have mentioned that another good test is to actually run spinrite at least 2 times (or more if time permits) and to keep notes about the statistics it returns such as smart info and amount of errors found, including softer ones, and minimum / maximum and error rates overall, as increasing numbers can also indicate a potentially failing drive, even if no more physical tracks are bad yet.

here is a picture to show error rates:
https://www.grc.com/sr/smart-captions.png

2) it also seemed that spinrite had problems running on drives larger than 2TB - its cool that you did, but how did you get it work? Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Did Drobo actually blink the drive red ? If so once Drobo marks a drive as bad it can no longer be used in Drobo.

DroboMod

(09-25-2015 09:54 AM)dusanmal Wrote:  Hello,

I encountered an odd problem with the Drobo claiming that the particular hard drive (WD green 3TB) is malfunctioning. After replacing it I run GRC Spinrite on it and indeed it have found two bad sectors and repaired them. However, neither the original Drobo in which this drive have been nor the other one that I have, won't recognize this drive as a good drive any more, in any bay.
I further tested the drive both by running Spinrite on it few more times (all reported good) and repartitioning it and using it in Windows and Linux machines. Drive partitioned, formatted and tested to "no end" by heavy usage - working fine. However, if I attempt to put it as a new drive in any of my Drobos, any bay... - same blinking red light, Drobo see it properly, reports that it is indeed 3TB drive in Dashboard, but reports it dead and won't integrate it in...
09-28-2015, 07:36 AM
(09-25-2015 10:09 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi, ive been learning more about spinrite and a couple of things come to mind...

1) some people including the author, have mentioned that another good test is to actually run spinrite at least 2 times (or more if time permits) and to keep notes about the statistics it returns such as smart info and amount of errors found, including softer ones, and minimum / maximum and error rates overall, as increasing numbers can also indicate a potentially failing drive, even if no more physical tracks are bad yet.

here is a picture to show error rates:
https://www.grc.com/sr/smart-captions.png

2) it also seemed that spinrite had problems running on drives larger than 2TB - its cool that you did, but how did you get it work? Smile

Spinrite can see up to 2TB and that is what I tested (I didn't want to further muddy the issue with details). On the first run, "as is" from Drobo it saw only one 800GB partition and of two unrecoverable sectors (it worked almost two weeks on them) one was the very first sector... I think that was the source of Drobo defining id "bad drive". On subsequent runs I re-partitioned and re-formatted disk in Gparted so Spinrite saw as much as it could (partitions beyond that it reported in "pink"-as do not run Spinrite on these). Subsequent runs went seamlessly and within hours. However, the most important was actual disk usage under high demands on Windows and Linux machines. All 3TB of it. Before Spinrite disk would not partition/format/... After Spinrite, it not only partitioned and formatted but sustained heavy total use (as Astrophysicist I have enough data at hand to fill all 3TB and use it) both under WIndows and Linux. Hence, I think drive is repaired but as the second answer on this thread states - as Drobo did "blink red" this drive it likely marked it "bad" somewhere in the firmware and I have yet to find how to undo that. Will keep the drive for other use...

Thanks all for the answers.
09-28-2015, 10:18 AM
thanks for more info,
(just fyi, nasa had some interesting news about mars today which you might enjoy) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-12-2016, 08:20 PM
(09-25-2015 04:40 PM)DroboMod Wrote:  Did Drobo actually blink the drive red ? If so once Drobo marks a drive as bad it can no longer be used in Drobo.

DroboMod

(09-25-2015 09:54 AM)dusanmal Wrote:  Hello,

If we use spinrite or a different tool and feel confident the drive is ok, is there a way to reset the tracker that prevents it from being used again? Is there a way to see what exactly made the drobo mark the drive as bad?