Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gen3 and Windows 7 incompatible ?
09-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Gen3 and Windows 7 incompatible ?
I've just purchased a Drobo gen 3 and while it works flawlessly on win 8.1 and win 10, on win 7 at best it takes hours to correctly mount ,freezing explorer whilst it does so, once mounted and in sync everything works OK for a few minutes before windows loses track of it and explorer freezes again. The freezing also prevents windows shutdown.
Firmware and dashboard up to date, it happens with 32 and 64 bit windows, USB 2 and 3 ports and cables all affected, using XHCI helps slightly.
Mainboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, (USB driver Renesas 2.1.39.0).

comments welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2015, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 04:07 PM by rsaunders.)
RE: Gen3 and Windows 7 incompatible ?
(09-23-2015 03:38 PM)geoffajones Wrote:  ... on win 7 at best it takes hours to correctly mount, freezing explorer whilst it does so ...

Yes, this is how it works with Win7. It's been that way for a while, ref: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

Somehow Win7 thinks there is a file open at shutdown, even when there is not. Thus it's got some "dirty" bit on and feels that the file manager process should do "chkdsk" or whatever before allowing access to the drive. With USB3 you can get the time down to under an hour, but it's a bad interaction between Drobo and Win7. Given that the "size" of the volume is quite large, there are a lot of blocks to double-check. Between the two companies, from a support perspective, I'm not expecting a solution soon. I've been waiting 9 months so far.

My Win7 WMC machine is up for weeks at a time without a reboot, and the Drobo doesn't get dropped (plus it has UPC). Should a reboot be needed, one simply waits with the machine idle for 30 mins and then moves on.
09-23-2015, 05:05 PM
rsaunders is correct although I haven't heard of this in a while. If I remember correctly there is a way to disable the auto -chk disk from occurring.
DroboMod
09-24-2015, 08:39 AM
hi geoff, i was just wondering something...

when it works fine on windows 8 and 10, can i check how are you shutting the computer and drobo down, or disconnecting it before plugging it into win7?

and is the drobo already running (and then in standby mode) when win7 is loaded, or is the win7 already loaded up and then drobo powered on (while usb already attached)?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-25-2015, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2015 11:41 AM by geoffajones.)
(09-24-2015 08:39 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi geoff, i was just wondering something...

when it works fine on windows 8 and 10, can i check how are you shutting the computer and drobo down, or disconnecting it before plugging it into win7?

and is the drobo already running (and then in standby mode) when win7 is loaded, or is the win7 already loaded up and then drobo powered on (while usb already attached)?
The operating systems are on various partitions on the same computer so there is no need to unplug the usb. When shutting down from a "working O.S." I'd turn off drobo from the dashboard first, if restarting from one O.S. to another I'd leave it running.

I've used both methods of starting in windows 7, with leaving the drobo off until windows is booted the only practical method of getting the device manager started to see what's happening
(09-23-2015 05:05 PM)DroboMod Wrote:  rsaunders is correct although I haven't heard of this in a while. If I remember correctly there is a way to disable the auto -chk disk from occurring.
DroboMod

thanks for the suggestion
O.K. tried that it doesn't improve things.
09-28-2015, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 10:59 AM by Paul.)
thanks geoff for more info.

shutting down the drobo via dashboard, and then the os sounds ok.
&
assuming you were able to have a stable state (in terms of windows booting/auto chkdsk being happy with the drobo, i would like to see if you would be able to try the following instead, to see if it makes a difference.

- even when switching to another o/s on the same system, could you also try to shut down via dashboard to see if it helps?

one thing you could try from the command prompt, is to manually run a chkdsk :DriveLetter
to see what it finds

and then also a chkdsk :DriverLetter /x
to see what that finds.

maybe by manually running a chkdsk at a time of your choosing, could also help windows feel happier about the state of the filesystem, followed by the process of always using dashboard to shutdown the drobo between operating systems.
(it might be an extra step shutting down in this way, and depending on the model, an extra power button toggle too, but it might fix the issue you currently face)

if you have more than one volume (drive letter), then you would need to run it there too,
and also keep running it in /x until it shows a message about finding no issues.

- please note, chkdsk from the command prompt, "can" take what seems to be an age to complete its final stage. ive had this on windows 7 with a drobo-s and always best that nothing else is running at all as it can lock the process. While i have never lost any data so far in this way, you might want to take a backup of any important data if you can or wish, before you try the manual chkdsk)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
09-28-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I have made progress, running checkdsk from windows 10 while finding no errors enables me to boot into my win 7 operating systems without problems and I can reboot between them again without problems, so it obviously cleared the "dirty bit".
However whilst in my 64 bit win 7 whilst crashplan was running (not actively scanning or backing up to the Drobo) the drobo lost sync with the O.S. again. repeating the previous problems.
The Win 10 Checkdsk fix works though, so I have a workaround and the problem seems to be caused by an application, possibly crashplan, but I need to investigate further.
09-29-2015, 08:06 AM
cool jeff, now that you can boot into windows without that issue, maybe you could try to disable crashplan (or to pause it etc) while you try more tests, as it might be crashplan that is the current culprit Smile

10-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Just one final update.

I'm now convinced that Crashplan is triggering the problem.

with crashplan paused I can boot windows 7 with the drobo connected or boot the drobo from within windows 7 with no problems or errors.

If crashplan runs a scan while the drobo is connected the drobo looses sync (the drobo appears in file manager without any volume info and file manager refreshes for ever). if crashplan is then paused the drobo regains sync within a few minutes. rebooting /shutting down windows only causes problems if the drobo was out of sync at the time.
I hope this info helps any one else who may be having problems.
10-05-2015, 01:07 PM
thanks for more info,

i was wondering if there is another motherboard setting you could try, for example the xchi settings you changed before (when trying improve the original issue) might help with this problem if they were put back to what they were before the problems?