Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo was normal and now not
07-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Drobo was normal and now not
My Drobo 3 with 4 4T drives was working fine last week. I went away on vacation and shut down the computer and shut off the Drobo. Tonight I came back, turned on the computer and turned on the Drobo. All of a sudden 3 bays are blinking yellow/green (I think this is because it's doing data protection on them) and the fourth is red-failed! How'd this happen when they were just working fine??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2015, 08:16 PM
RE: Drobo was normal and now not
Red as in blinking red or Solid red?

There;s a difference:

Blinking Red - Failed drive
Solid RED - replace drive with higher capacity

I will let the rebuilding process completes when all the 3 4TB drives are Green. Remove the "problem" drive and re-insert it into the drobo again. If once again, is flagged blinking red. Maybe it is really a faulty drive.
07-21-2015, 05:12 AM
Most drive failures occur when changing states.....off, on, off, on. If it's an actual drive failure then Drobo did it's job and preserved your data.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
07-21-2015, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 07:57 AM by mhawks.)
It's a blinking red but it's a 4TB drive so I doubt it needs a higher capacity. the drobo Dashboard says "Red Alert. Drobo detected a hard drive failure. Replace the hard drive indicated b the blinking red light"

(07-20-2015 08:16 PM)don Wrote:  Red as in blinking red or Solid red?

There;s a difference:

Blinking Red - Failed drive
Solid RED - replace drive with higher capacity

I will let the rebuilding process completes when all the 3 4TB drives are Green. Remove the "problem" drive and re-insert it into the drobo again. If once again, is flagged blinking red. Maybe it is really a faulty drive.

You're probably right except I only turned the Drobo off and on once. I could be unlucky and just have a bad drive. It's not even a year old yet.

(07-21-2015 05:12 AM)AzDragonLord Wrote:  Most drive failures occur when changing states.....off, on, off, on. If it's an actual drive failure then Drobo did it's job and preserved your data.