Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pushing the 16TB Volume Size Limit on a 5D
06-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Pushing the 16TB Volume Size Limit on a 5D
I have a Drobo 5D with five 4TB drives installed and single disk redundancy. Currently there is only 6% free space on the array so I've ordered three 5TB drives to increase the available storage. My dilemma is that I don't want to go over the 16TB maximum volume size limit, which would force the creation of a second 16TB volume. The Drobo Capacity Calculator shows that adding three 5TB drives would put available storage at 16.34TB. My question is, how absolute is the Drobo volume size limit? That is to say, would a volume of 16.001TB cause the creation of a new volume, or is there some "wiggle room" to the limit?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2015, 09:54 PM
RE: Pushing the 16TB Volume Size Limit on a 5D
Initial size of the Drobo Volume during set-up is 16TB.. which is also the current max volume size supported.

3x 5TB, 2x 4TB = 23TB Raw

1) With SDR (single disk redundancy), minus away 1x 5TB. Usable is 18TB ... after format overheads etc.. 16.34TB
- This still cross the 16TB limit boundary, and will result in another 16TB thin provision volume to be created along side with the existing 16TB volume.

I can;t see a way for you to escape the 2nd volume. For your current 5x 4TB setup, and usage.. by adding any number of 5TB drive(s) will surely cause the creation of 2nd Volume (16TB).
06-16-2015, 06:41 AM
(06-15-2015 09:54 PM)don Wrote:  Initial size of the Drobo Volume during set-up is 16TB.. which is also the current max volume size supported.

3x 5TB, 2x 4TB = 23TB Raw

1) With SDR (single disk redundancy), minus away 1x 5TB. Usable is 18TB ... after format overheads etc.. 16.34TB
- This still cross the 16TB limit boundary, and will result in another 16TB thin provision volume to be created along side with the existing 16TB volume.

I can;t see a way for you to escape the 2nd volume. For your current 5x 4TB setup, and usage.. by adding any number of 5TB drive(s) will surely cause the creation of 2nd Volume (16TB).

That's what I suspected. In the short term I'll only add two of the 5TB drives to the array which will yield ~15.43TB of useable space. Longer term....well it might just be time to look at other storage alternatives that don't have this volume size issue.
06-16-2015, 12:07 PM
hi, i was just wondering if there was a particular problem that you are concerned about, if a 2nd volume was made?
for example, i know that some media player devices can only access the data that is stored on the 1st volume or partition of a drive, so was just thinking about what you were worried about when you didnt want a 2nd volume.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
06-16-2015, 06:57 PM
No, it's simply a personal preference. The Drobo houses a media collection (tv shows) that I don't wish to manage across two volumes.