Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
RAID 0
06-13-2015, 07:31 AM
RAID 0
I like the Drobo setup and devices but have no need for a RAID 1/5 or whatever setup as my backups are achieved in a different way. I'm more interested in the throughput than a RAID 0 configuration would give me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2015, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 11:40 AM by AzDragonLord.)
RE: RAID 0
RAID is not a backup, it only protects your data against hard drive failures. If you desire the throughput of RAID 0, then I suggest you use a non-Drobo appliance.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
06-15-2015, 09:19 AM
hi also if you have a particular objective or use-case in mind, feel free to post back as it might turn out that the speed you need might possible be met (along with hard drive protection)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
06-16-2015, 02:43 AM
Using a NAS / RAID storage on its own is not a backup as such.

That's a common mis-understanding regarding any RAID storage.

Traditional RAID 5, Drobo's SDR (Single Disk Redundancy) or Synology Dynamic RAID (SDR) - is liked a 4 wheel saloon car with a spare tyre in the boot. It protects you from single punctured tyre. But in the event of dual tyres puncture .. there's nothing much you can do... or total engine failure.

Traditional RAID 6 or vendor that provides DDR (Dual Disk Redundancy) - is liked having 2 spare tyres in the boot. Smile But again, it does not protect you you from engine failure.

In the case of storage device, hardware failure, multiple HDD failure, Filesystem corruption can result in data lost on a RAID storage device.

A true backup, is to protect against physical HDD failure and also not to have a single point of failure.. in this case.. the data itself is the weakest link. So backup it up on at least 2 storage device.

Having RAID 0 is liked having no protection at all... it does not protect you from HDD failure. Is like going driving a Ferrari at super fast speed without any seat belt on...

Drobo is not a speedster, but it does have the ease of use in terms of set-up and expansion.

If speed is what you are looking for .. for used in say.. video editing. Maybe G-Technology is a good starting point to have a look. But you will need to deal with the traditional RAID setup such as 0,1,5 etc.. But I am sure is faster..