Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Restore from a 5N TM backup
05-19-2015, 03:34 AM
Restore from a 5N TM backup
I have just about completed a full overhaul of my IT setup, replacing a Mac Mini desktop with Drobo 4 DAS and TimeMachine on a USB western digital HDD with a Macbook Pro laptop and Drobo 5N NAS unit with a TimeMachine enabled partition.

TM is happy and doing what it should.

My question is this -

when I installed the new laptop i used the WD HDD connected to restore all my apps and setup to the laptop - this worked 100%

when I one-day replace the MacBook Pro, how do I connect the Drobo 5N TM share to the new device for the restore??

Its a share on network device, not a unique HDD like before, will the new device recognise it or even find it?????

Bending metal in Hertfordshire - DD Metal Products
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2015, 11:56 AM
RE: Restore from a 5N TM backup
This may help ( while the second article is for another one of our NAS products, it should work the same ).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01431
05-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks

looks a bit more complex than a USB restore but good to know how to do it.

05-21-2015, 01:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2015 01:47 AM by davek0974.)
When doing a full restore from time machine, it seems the easiest way is to use a direct USB attached HDD, this works extremely easily but you have no fall-back of the data on the HDD.

Looking at the links above, it appears that Drobo NAS time machine backup is far harder to use for a full restore but you have the Drobo security for HDD failures.

Is it any easier if I connect a USB HDD to my Apple Airport Extreme, does that turn it into a TimeCapsule and would that make it any easier to do a full restore???
I know there is still no fall-back here though.

I need to fine the best balance for ease of use in a full recovery situation - if the Mac is running then accessing Time Machine is easy no matter what storage method is used, it's when you have a blank Mac and need to do a full restore that it really matters.

05-22-2015, 09:08 AM
If it helps, with the newer OS X releases you can have multiple destinations set for your Time machine backups so, for example, hourly backups alternate between your Drobo and a USB drive. It might provide the compromise you're looking for.

I have no experience of using an Airport Extreme but see here: http://pondini.org/TM/AEQ2.html and note the very last sentence. I take that to mean that it might well do what you want. It would be worth trying it and doing a dummy full recovery to confirm to your satisfaction that it works.

It's a detail from the central span of a brick skew arch bridge built by the Midland Railway in c. 1875 to carry the Dudding Hill line across the Paddington arm of the Grand Union canal in west London.