Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Recycle bin
05-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Recycle bin
If I delete a file or directory from my Drobo 5N or 5F or 4-Bay, it is gone. There should be a recycle bin for the system that can be placed on the user's desktop or at least on the Drobo Dashboard, with parameters for bin disk allocation and days to retain.

In Windows, it is very easy to press "Yes" to confirm file delete when the popup appears suddenly when multi-tasking. Similarly, when using the Delete key to edit a file and the focus shifts to a file explorer window pointing to the Drobo, you find you just deleted multiple files or folders, not a few keys in a text file. If you simply create a Recycle Bin feature, you solve the problem.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Lightbulb RE: Recycle bin
I have the same problem If I delete a file or directory from my Drobo 5N it is gone for good. so what i did is make a copy of the of the hole data that I have on the drobo 5n once a month. I have a 2 TB hard drive backup to so if something did happen I can go back in fix it . but it will be a good idea recycle least on the Drobo Dashboard with parameters for bin disk allocation and days to retain. So you can set how long you what they retain to be. But if you make safe about it make a hole back of the data on the drobo like I do. But If you simply create a Recycle Bin feature, you solve the problem. Because make a full copy of the drobo and then have to copy back take a long time if you have over 1 TB of space
05-19-2015, 01:52 PM
RE: Recycle bin
hi guys,
am not sure about the networked models (nas)
but on one of my 4-slot drobos (gen1), i do have the recycling bin feature working fine.

eg:
i have rightclicked on the windows recycling bin
and selected the option to "configure each drive separately"
and i set the slider to about 10% on my drobo drive letters.

if i delete a file (which is small enough to fit), it goes to the bin, and can then restore it again.

you might need to see what sort of file sizes you have that are large, and that you might want to allow to fit in the bin, but just bear in mind not to set the bin too large as anything in the bin also counts towards your max drobo capacity (which you never want to exceed).

have a look and see your bin settings just in case youre using a global setting and its not enabled?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)