Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
B800fs lost on network
04-25-2015, 08:50 AM
B800fs lost on network
I got a popup that I needed to do an update yesterday, so I proceeded. Since then my primary 800fs is no longer seen by Dashboard.

I've tried hooking it right into my Mac Pro via ethernet, no luck.

I no longer see either of its MAC addresses in my router now, but was able to add it as a server on my MAC.

What's the solution here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2015, 01:44 PM
RE: B800fs lost on network
I assume you've figured this out by now, but I'm going to respond for the next person who searches this topic.

The answer is buy a NAS from someone other than Drobo. My DroboFS went that way last year, and my B800FS just joined it. I got it back once by putting in a couple of clean drives and pinhole resetting it, but that didn't work this time.

All green lights. I can ping it's IP address, and it responds. Doesn't show up on the network. Doesn't show up in Drobo Dashboard, even if directly connected to a computer. Support will look at it if I buy a service contract that costs more than a new unit costs them. All done with Drobo, except to come back and badmouth them once in a while.
02-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Same thing has happened to me. I guess I am getting a Qnap next time!
02-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Update - mine is fixed. You need to crack open the case, use a 3.3v TTL USB breakout board.

Drobo only gives 2mb for the log file (cheap), Xferlog filled the file system causing it to not boot.

Clean it up, then it will boot.
02-11-2017, 05:02 PM
(02-10-2017 12:36 PM)david.scherer Wrote:  Update - mine is fixed. You need to crack open the case, use a 3.3v TTL USB breakout board.

Drobo only gives 2mb for the log file (cheap), Xferlog filled the file system causing it to not boot.

Clean it up, then it will boot.

Amazing. Got any links to how I can use a 3.3v TTL USB breakout board to clean up the log file? I'd love to get my two Drobos working.
02-23-2017, 05:12 AM
Same happened here to my DROBO-FS. All lights green, I can see the DROBO in the DASHBOARD only while DROBO is booting. But when all lights turned into green and boot process is ready, then I loose connection to the DROBO-FS. I cannot see the DROBO in the Dashboard. After 5 minutes - DROBO Dashboard told me that there are no DROBOS in the network.
Yes I can ping it ...
I have 10 TB HDD inside 5x2TB and now after 3 years I have scrap with 5 green led-lights. Thats not acceptable.

SO I read here "Update - mine is fixed. You need to crack open the case, use a 3.3v TTL USB breakout board. "
Ok my drobo is out of warranty and still it´s a brick - can you give us some advice how your "trick" is working. Van you give us some more details ? Is anybody here who was able to get a DROBO FS fixed.

Thanks - Frank
02-23-2017, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2017 08:52 AM by nottooloud.)
(02-23-2017 05:12 AM)fraban Wrote:  Ok my drobo is out of warranty and still it´s a brick - can you give us some advice how your "trick" is working. Van you give us some more details ? Is anybody here who was able to get a DROBO FS fixed.

While hoping David will reply, I passed his post along to some IT buddies.

Quote:My guess is that a "3.3v TTL USB breakout board" is a device that lets you plug a USB cable into one end and attaches to the motherboard of your Drobo on the other (in a non-USB looking place that actually is USB but shaped wrong and at the wrong voltage). Then you plug the USB cable into your computer and it would present the Drobo's operating system volume (not your data) as a USB drive.

The poster says that "Drobo only gives 2mb for the log file" which likely means that there is a log partition which is 2MB in size and that it is full with this file. This kind of thing is common on embedded linux devices but not so much for other platforms. So the likely gotcha is that if you plug this into a Mac or PC that it won't be able to read the partition and you'll have to plug it into a Linux machine to be able to access the data.

If you were able to do that then you could delete this log file and that would fix the problem. Computers often will decide to do nothing rather than do something they can't log. If the log file really did fill up its meager 2MB partition that could very well be the reason that your Drobo isn't booting. Of course it could be a lot of other reasons...

and

Quote:Usb breakout board is how to add usb to hardware that doesn't have it, usually for hacking firmware on embedded systems.
Log file limits can certainly brick tiny Linux builds. Interesting. Not sure if it's worth the trouble.

and

finally, a link to a relevant discussion here in the forums.

http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

I'm asking for help in that thread, which is chock full of technical details.