Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
5D not powering on
05-02-2017, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 06:56 PM by Paul.)
RE: 5D not powering on
hi dougso, can i check if your thunderbolt cable is a direct cable going from the drobo to the computer?
sometimes my computer wont resume or bootup properly if any device is plugged in, even a usb cable or something non drobo, but for you it might be worth checking just in case maybe there is a security feature setting somewhere that is locking a port that was used before and not freeing it up?

i had that a few times when i was swapping devices in the same usb port, and i had to to a full cold boot of everything after 10mins of power being off, and it feed up the port properly again

if you managed to get another thunderbold cable it would be worth a try, though usb is also worth trying i think too

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Hi Paul,

The 5D is directly connected to the MacPro. I did try another Thunderbolt cable and had the same issue. I then removed the Thunderbolt cable and tried booting up with the USB 3 cable connected to the live MacPro. That worked just fine. Ran that for a few minutes and powered down. Removed the USB cable and attached the original Thunderbolt cable again.

Low and behold, it booted up fine. Decided maybe the Drobo needs to be "cold" for the problem to manifest. After letting it sit overnight, pressed the power button and it booted up fine. So, I have not been able to reproduce the issue after having run on the USB 3 cable. I'm wondering if the interface switch triggered a configuration "correction" somewhere and now the problem is resolved.
05-05-2017, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 06:18 PM by Paul.)
ah thanks for the update, it may have been something to do with port enumeration (am not 100% sure) but am glad if it powers on ok now for you again.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)