Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
5D not powering on
11-08-2015, 05:43 PM
RE: 5D not powering on
When I went out this morning the 5D was working fine. I came home three hours later to find an error on the Mac Pro display about an inappropriate eject and the 5D dead on the desktop. My power supply shows solid green until I plug it into the 5D when it starts to flash green. I opened a ticked with Drobo support right away as I have learned the hard way that you need to do this. I got a very rapid email back telling me that the unit was not registered. I had of course registered it through the Drobo Dashboard application because that's what it asks for. I think I have copies on my Synology NAS of everything but I'm not sure because I used the Drobo 5D every day and could have missed something. I cannot move the disk pack to the 5S (which has been replaced once) and it's power supply is not suitable for the 5D. I went online and registered the unit AGAIN and now I am waiting for someone to tell me what the hell is wrong. I've had a history of power supply issues with Drobo products and because I am plainly an idiot keep buying their stuff. I have ordered a replacement power supply from Amazon since finding a Drobo part supplier in Canada is pretty ugly. Even Drobo dealers don't carry spare power supplies if their websites are to be believed. I really hope that I can get this thing running long enough to get my data off it. If it's going to cost me a replacement unit because I am out of warranty, I will go with another provider. I have five Drobo products and I'm down to two that haven't failed yet. I'm super frustrated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2015, 09:34 AM
I bought a new 5D in february, two months ago it suddenly stopped working, there was power but I couldn't get it to work.

I sent it in for repair where I bought it two months ago, but the 5D could not be fixed so I ended getting a refund. I'm done with Drobo! I'll most likely go with Synology instead.
11-19-2015, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2015 01:42 PM by hobbym.)
i have had the same problem with my 5d. the led on the brick just blinked and the 5d wouldn't power up. it is out of warranty, so drobo customer support wouldn't give me any advice or help in any way. i bought a new power supply and had the same results. i bought a new power cord and tried that with both power supplies. the brick still blinks green and the unit won't power up. any idea as to what the problem might be or what i might try to fix it? thanks
after reading one of the above posts, i disconnected my power supply from the drobo and the green light on the power supply came on and stayed on. like the person who previously posted, when i plugged it back into the drobo, it started flashing again, and the unit wouldn't power up. any thoughts on why this is happening and if there is a solution?
11-20-2015, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2015 11:30 AM by Paul.)
hi hobbym,
i think if a new power supply and brick did not do the trick (no rhyme intended), then it is probably something wrong that happend to the actual 5d unit itself. (this seems more likely, if the psu was solid green when not plugged into the drobo, but then would just blink when plugged into it).

the only other thing that could be worth trying, is a different power socket in your building/home just in case both psu's were being plugged into a surge protector or a particular socket that was somehow damaged or limiting current in some way?
edit: another thing to try sorry, would be to power all off, and to remove any drives inside it, (remembering the diskpack order), and then to test each psu again... what happens now?

(its probably best that you keeep your diskpack drives out of the unit for now, but if you do want to put them back then please only do that when power is all off and disconnected etc)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
11-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Of course, only a couple months after the warranty expires, the unit fails, will not power on. Brick flashes green when plugged into the unit.

This seems to be a growing problem. Has anyone successfully brought the unit back to life?
11-26-2015, 11:44 AM
hi taylore did you have a similar problem as hobbym - if so, what happened if you had all power off, and removed all drives (remembering their slots) and powered up empty?

(please only put the drives back in again where there were while power is Off)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
11-28-2015, 12:48 PM
(11-26-2015 11:44 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi taylore did you have a similar problem as hobbym - if so, what happened if you had all power off, and removed all drives (remembering their slots) and powered up empty?

(please only put the drives back in again where there were while power is Off)

Yes. I removed all the drives and the msata with the same result... flashing green on the brick.

Held power button for 30s while unplugged, replugged in and still same result.

I have been in contact with support. I feel lost right now with 5+ TB of data looming.

My main concern is if I can get the unit repaired or replaced that it will try to reformat drives. Please I hope that it will not do that.
11-30-2015, 01:22 PM
hi, thanks for the info about the tests you did.

i dont think a new unit would reformat (as long as the proper disk pack swap procedure is followed), but am sure support would guide you through that. If its any consolation, i had about 3tb of data on my drobo-s when i needed a replacement, and i was able to access my data on the drives again, so please hang in there and let us know how things go.

12-15-2015, 08:42 AM
Contact support and let them know the exact issue, they'll look into and will do what they need to do; as far as I've seen there is no way to fix it.
Also the Drobo Dashboard doesn't register the Drobo, you have to do that through the site in your account.
02-03-2016, 03:45 PM
SAME PROBLEM HERE!
-----------------------
About 1 year out of warranty and Drobo 5D fails to power up.
Green light blinking on power supply.
Purchased replacement power supply but that didn't work.
----------------------

I am SO unhappy with my DROBO product.
First issue was that it would constantly unmount itself from my desktop, despite repeated firmware and software updates.. and now this. Even my cheapo drives from Best Buy don't have this problems like this thing does.

----------------------