Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
5D not powering on
09-30-2015, 09:04 PM
RE: 5D not powering on
Hi Paul. Thank you for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I tried those and any other trick I could find on the internet, and none work. It will not power up, the green light on the power supply is solid until I plug it into the Drobo, at which point it blinks and nothing happens regardless of how it is currently configured.

It seems quite a few others have had the same issue, from what I have read most were not fixed by replacing the power supply. I would hate to shell out another $100 for a new one, just to find out there is another issue and I am just further into the hole.

Has anyone found a resolution to the power issue? If so, was it a simple fix?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2015, 09:28 AM
ok thanks for the info,

can i check if the msata has been still inside the drobo during all of this?
maybe you could try the same process with power off as before, but this time to also remove the msata completely, just in case a faulty msata is the cause?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-05-2015, 09:34 PM
I had not considered that, thank you for the suggestion. However removing the mSata card did not make a difference.

Did anyone get theirs working again?
10-06-2015, 10:13 AM
hi, i was hoping that it was a faulty msata, but seems that it wasnt.

if i understood correctly, your drobo 5d, with current psu pack / cables, does not power on properly at all (just a green light), with or without any drives or msatas at all.

if that is the case, then it "could" be that the psu is faulty in someway (it is a long shot but did you try a different wall power socket too, just in case the wall plug has blown in some way? - that has happened to me with other plugs or adaptors)

the next suggestions are 2 ideas (and may not be ideal but just to mention them anyway for you)

1a) maybe if you happen to know of a shop or reseller near you, you could try to arrange with them to test a psu with you so that you know if it will be what you need (but if it stops working as a result of the test then you might have to buy it from them)

1b) maybe you could have access to a shop floor model at your local store and could ask them if they can let you swap in your disk pack while off, and then see if it boots up fine with your data. this way you would know that your drives and data are fine, and that you just need a replacement hardware chassis - in which case, it might be cheaper to get another drobocare and get the replacement that way, once you know what the problem is?

2) if 1a or 1b is not possible above, maybe you could try support from a mutual perspective, something where you could buy a new psu from them, but that if it didnt fix it, maybe a smaller restocking fee only applies, or if you went on to buy the full 5d replacement, maybe the psu gets removed from the cost etc.. there was talk of some different support offerings for customers and maybe some new options have emerged. i cant promise anything as all my posts to now and before this one have been me simply being me, and not an employee of drobo, though step 1a or b could be the closest or quickest way to test things if you are near a supplier though?

hope it helps a little

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
10-06-2015, 08:54 PM
(10-06-2015 10:13 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi, i was hoping that it was a faulty msata, but seems that it wasnt.

if i understood correctly, your drobo 5d, with current psu pack / cables, does not power on properly at all (just a green light), with or without any drives or msatas at all.

That's right, however the light is solid when not plugged into the 5D, blinks when it is plugged into the 5D.

if that is the case, then it "could" be that the psu is faulty in someway (it is a long shot but did you try a different wall power socket too, just in case the wall plug has blown in some way? - that has happened to me with other plugs or adaptors)

Tried that too, no luck. Sad

the next suggestions are 2 ideas (and may not be ideal but just to mention them anyway for you)

1a) maybe if you happen to know of a shop or reseller near you, you could try to arrange with them to test a psu with you so that you know if it will be what you need (but if it stops working as a result of the test then you might have to buy it from them)

I am in a rural area, I ordered mine from Amazon.

1b) maybe you could have access to a shop floor model at your local store and could ask them if they can let you swap in your disk pack while off, and then see if it boots up fine with your data. this way you would know that your drives and data are fine, and that you just need a replacement hardware chassis - in which case, it might be cheaper to get another drobocare and get the replacement that way, once you know what the problem is?

Too late for Drobocare.

2) if 1a or 1b is not possible above, maybe you could try support from a mutual perspective, something where you could buy a new psu from them, but that if it didnt fix it, maybe a smaller restocking fee only applies, or if you went on to buy the full 5d replacement, maybe the psu gets removed from the cost etc.. there was talk of some different support offerings for customers and maybe some new options have emerged. i cant promise anything as all my posts to now and before this one have been me simply being me, and not an employee of drobo, though step 1a or b could be the closest or quickest way to test things if you are near a supplier though?

Sorry, but I can't see myself investing further in Drobo products, unless something something of significance happens soon.

hope it helps a little

I do appreciate your efforts trying to help on your own time. Thank you very much.
10-07-2015, 12:18 PM
ok no worries, please hang in there and maybe an update to this thread will help:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(they had the same kind of issue recently and were going to get a new psu for it and if it did fix it for them, it would sound promising too)

10-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Update: Amazon has graciously offered to take my Drobo back in exchange for a full refund. However I had not done a backup in a little while (my bad) and need to get some photos off of the drives. What are my options? There is a Drobo FS for sale locally, I was thinking I could buy it, transfer the photos, and then sell it. But after some reading I am not sure if I can even do that. A local data recovery place is building a quote, but he said it starts in the $1000's. Anyone have some ideas?
10-12-2015, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 02:29 PM by Paul.)
hi as the 5d is das and the fs is nas, i dont think you can migrate.
but its nice if you can get refund from amazon, and maybe buy another 5d, then you could migrate from 5d to 5d as per here:
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/

edit: though this would assume that the new chassis and psu fixes the problem.

10-29-2015, 07:19 PM
I feel your pain, my warranty ended 5 weeks ago and my Drobo was powered off when I came home from work today. while it was working in the morning. I took all of the drives out, disconnected everything from it, and plugged the power supply in. It's the same thing. The power supply LED was solid green while unplugged from the Dropo, and starts flashing green as soon as I plug it in.

It's almost like it knows when its warranty expires, lol( laughing on the outside, crying on the inside ). I'll open a support ticket but I am not hopeful based on the information I found on the Web. I'll order a replacement for now and start the process of moving to a difference storage solution. Before the Drobo I had always used a PC file server with software raid that never failed me in 20 years. 1 year with Drobo and I get my first failure.
10-30-2015, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 12:25 PM by Paul.)
hi, if you have a chance to try another psu with your drobo, possibly with a friend or nearby shop, then it might help confirm if it is a problem with your unit or psu. hopefully if it is the (cheaper) psu, you could then buy a replacement to fix your setup again. (please bear in mind that the psu usually comes in 2 parts, and that both parts would need to be tested)