Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
5D not powering on
08-28-2015, 02:12 PM
RE: 5D not powering on
If your Drobo 5D is not powering on, we would like to assist you. If you have created a support case please let me know the case number. If you have not created case please direct message me your email address and your full name so I can have support reach out to you.

Thank You
DroboMod

(08-28-2015 01:15 PM)kireix Wrote:  I am having the exact same issue 2 months after my warranty fails of COURSE! I'm not super happy with the amount of "help" i've gotten so far.

Has anyone else with this issue tried just replacing the power brick to see if that helps?

Has anyone gotten this resolved without having to purchase a new 5D? Replacement Fuse as mentioned above?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2015, 01:52 PM
I am having the same exact problem - all worked well yesterday and today the power supply is flashing. I am about a year out of warranty. When I unplug the 5D the power supply appears normal with a solid green light.

I was told by drobo, "there is not much we can do." I even said I would gladly pay for support help by the minute or the call. Drobo said...."we can't help", go to the knowledge base - online.
09-08-2015, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 03:33 PM by Paul.)
hi, if the lights dont flash with nothing attached, then the psu seems to be getting power from the mains, but if it then flashes when connected the drobo, something must be sensing that power can not flow through properly.

it might be that a new psu unit (both parts) could fix the problem, but im not 100% sure what types of flashing the psus have or exact definition though.
another test you could try is to keep power all off,
and to then remove all drives
and then to plug in the power to see what happens?

(please only put your drives back in WHILE power is OFF or you can lose your data)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Thanks Paul: No Go. I am going to try to locate a new psu unit tonight, as this is my main computer (edit) raid unit. I did try your suggestion of removing all drives and then plugging in the power cable to the Drobo unit. Same result, just a flashing L.E.D. light on the power supply unit.

I am puzzled and heading to the computer store to see if I can locate another power supply.
09-09-2015, 03:53 PM
ok fingers crossed.
heres a 5d pdf spec sheet link in case it helps:
http://drobo.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/dow...http://drobo.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/downloads/products/0520

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
09-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Thank you for letting me know. I have informed support and they will be reaching out to you.

DroboMod

(09-08-2015 01:52 PM)scottwinters Wrote:  I am having the same exact problem - all worked well yesterday and today the power supply is flashing. I am about a year out of warranty. When I unplug the 5D the power supply appears normal with a solid green light.

I was told by drobo, "there is not much we can do." I even said I would gladly pay for support help by the minute or the call. Drobo said...."we can't help", go to the knowledge base - online.
09-17-2015, 07:23 PM
I have the exact same issue too. I tried a new power supply purchased from Amazon (~$60). The new power supply did not work either. The green light is solid green on the power supply unit when just plugged into the wall only but then goes to blinking green after I plug it into the back of the Drobo. I purchased my unit just over a year ago. I am very unhappy with this.
09-18-2015, 09:26 AM
hi nickle
can i check if you have tried powering all down, and removing the drives, and then trying to power up without any drives inside? what happens now?

(if you put the drives back in, please put them in while power is off, ideally in the same slots)

09-26-2015, 12:11 PM
I am having the same issue. The unit will not power up, and the power supply light is solid green until I plug in the 5D, then it blinks. My unit is not even 60 days out of warranty, and by the time I paid for the 5D and the recommended mSata card, I have nearly $1000 invested in this unit before drives, and certainly expected more than 13+ months out of it.

I called the support line last week, a representative named Jeff said he was going to bring this to his supervisor, and that I would hear back right away. I never did. If my unit is dead, and Drobo will not help me and I have to replace it, I can't see myself buying another Drobo product.
09-28-2015, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 10:34 AM by Paul.)
hi helimat, for the call maybe you could try to get in touch with jeff again in case the supervisor (or jeff) was off sick or something.

for your drobo, would you be able to try the following to see what happens?
- to power all off, and to disconnect any computer connections from the drobo
- to remove the drives from your drobo (remembering the slot positions ideally)
- to power up just the drobo (empty and disconnected)
what happens to the lights, and does drobo run through its usual startup sequence?

(if you plug the drives back in the same slots, please do so with power still OFF)

then can you try to boot up your drobo and connect to the computer as normal - what happens now?