Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
5D not powering on
04-22-2015, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 12:06 AM by thephotoq.)
5D not powering on
Helping my friend with her 5D, and unfortunately it's not powering on... When the power brick is connected, the LED starts blinking.
I brought my 5D brick over hoping that would do the trick, but not luck, same problem.
The brink blinks and no lights on the DROBO.

Hope I can find some help in these forums that has been lacking from DROBO.
She's been a customer for years is on her fourth DROBO. She upgraded to the 5D because even though her last DR04DD14 (*edit, that was her 1st, her last was a DRDR3A21) was still under the extended warranty, DROBO said they no longer offered support for it.
Now her new DROBO is 2 months out of support (she thought she purchased the extension but was mistaken). Last calls to DROBO ended with "call back again, maybe the next person will help you" and an emailed reply of "no we won't support or sell you an extension of support, no exceptions."

Really disappointing. Not my first issue with DROBO, but certainly the most troubling.
I work in tech and commercial photography and I've setup dozens of DROBOs, recommended them constantly. Now I'm seriously starting to regret it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2015, 03:17 PM
RE: 5D not powering on
(04-22-2015 11:50 PM)thephotoq Wrote:  Helping my friend with her 5D, and unfortunately it's not powering on... When the power brick is connected, the LED starts blinking.
I brought my 5D brick over hoping that would do the trick, but not luck, same problem.
The brink blinks and no lights on the DROBO.

Hope I can find some help in these forums that has been lacking from DROBO.
She's been a customer for years is on her fourth DROBO. She upgraded to the 5D because even though her last DR04DD14 (*edit, that was her 1st, her last was a DRDR3A21) was still under the extended warranty, DROBO said they no longer offered support for it.
Now her new DROBO is 2 months out of support (she thought she purchased the extension but was mistaken). Last calls to DROBO ended with "call back again, maybe the next person will help you" and an emailed reply of "no we won't support or sell you an extension of support, no exceptions."

Really disappointing. Not my first issue with DROBO, but certainly the most troubling.
I work in tech and commercial photography and I've setup dozens of DROBOs, recommended them constantly. Now I'm seriously starting to regret it.

I'm having the exact same issue. Blinking green power supply... To my knowledge, there have been no power issues where I live or anything; it was working fine one minute, and then powered off the next. I've replaced the PSU, attempted booting the device with and w/o hard drives, removed my mSATA card, and still have no luck. Just submitted a trouble ticked today.

Hope someone comes up with a solution!
05-14-2015, 12:26 PM
hi, here are a couple of thoughts...

when you tried using your own power brick, were you using both parts of the power supply?
(eg as far as i remember the psu comes in 2 parts, one for the wall to brick, and one for the brick to drobo) - just checking in case one of her cable parts was faulty and still used when you tried yours?

also, was the drobo still connected via usb cable when you tried the power on?
sometimes i unplug all computer connections from the drobo, before powering it on, just in case.

do you and your friend have the same make / model drobo?
maybe if theres a way to verify that you both are on a compatible firmware, there might be a way to help her by swapping the diskpacks and using your drobo (assuming the packs are fine and just her drobo)

BUT.... you would need to make sure you fully understand the disk-pack-swapping process, AND id recommend you have a verified backup of your data first, just to play safe Smile

hope this helps a bit and fingers crossed the 1st suggestion works Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-21-2015, 04:04 AM
I have the exact same issue. Interestingly mine was pre-empted by interference in my speakers caused by the Drobo. I don't appear to be alone in this as there are two threads on the first page reporting the same issue.

When you try to RMA your Drobo it comes up as one of reasons for return on the drop down so it's an issue Drobo is certainly aware of. Luckily I'm still within the 1 year warranty period however if it's an inherent flaw with the machine it's something they need to come clean about.
05-21-2015, 01:12 PM
hi someone else had a similar (noise) related issue here too:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-22-2015, 09:18 AM
thephotoq - I am sorry for the delay in responding to you. If your friends Drobo is under warranty or she has DroboCare we will certainly replace the unit. Would you direct message me the case number so we may follow up. TY
05-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Hello,
I have now exactly the same problem with my 2013 Drobo 5D.
It happens yesterday.
I'am a pro user and I hope that I get help from Drobo.
In Germany we have a 2 years warranty.
08-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Same issue here ...

Is the only solution to replace the unit?

Was wondering if there is a fuse that can just be changed?

D.
08-28-2015, 01:15 PM
I am having the exact same issue 2 months after my warranty fails of COURSE! I'm not super happy with the amount of "help" i've gotten so far.

Has anyone else with this issue tried just replacing the power brick to see if that helps?

Has anyone gotten this resolved without having to purchase a new 5D? Replacement Fuse as mentioned above?
08-28-2015, 02:11 PM
If your Drobo 5D is not powering on, we would like to assist you. If you have created a support case please let me know the case number. If you have not created case please direct message me your email address and your full name so I can have support reach out to you.

Thank You
DroboMod

(08-13-2015 11:21 AM)dbouchon Wrote:  Same issue here ...

Is the only solution to replace the unit?

Was wondering if there is a fuse that can just be changed?

D.