Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
5D not powering on
02-03-2016, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 04:00 PM by Paul.)
RE: 5D not powering on
hi stian,
can i check what happens if you try the following?

- to power all down
- to unplug the computer connection cable (eg usb) and power cable
- to remove all drives (remembering the order)
- to power up just the empty drobo on its own
(what happens now?)

if the power light is not blinking, and if drobo goes into standby mode (with an orange light)
then please power up your computer (mac?)
and to then launch dashboard
and then to plug in the usb cable (ideally)
(does dashboard recognise the drobo?)

if so, please power all down.

Important:
please make sure that the drives are only put back where they came from while power is still OFF, otherwise it can wipe the data.

what happens if you now power up again after the drives are back in place... does the green light still flash?

(if the power light always still flashes in the same way, then it could be a faulty hardware, or possibly, the new psu was faulty?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2016, 12:02 PM
I had a simillar issue, but with a Drobo S. I shut down the device one day and it didn't power on at all the next day. No LEDs, nothing. The PSU was ok.
As the device didn't have any warrantly left I opened it up. Removed the HDDs first of course. No visible faults on the capacitors, no burnt components. On the back there's a button cell battery. I removed it for 30s. After that the Drobo did come up normally and is working fine since.
As I don't own a 5D I don't know if my solution will work for you. I guess there was something wrong with settings on my device. These settings got reset by removing the battery. Like a BIOS reset :-)
07-28-2016, 11:28 AM
thanks for your info moodle (cool name) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
09-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Just found my two year old 5D in the same situation as others on this thread where it will not power on and green light on the power supply is blinking when plugged into the 5D but stays solid green when unplugged from the 5D. I tried removing all drives and the M-SSD from the bottom, no dice. Not happy.

BTW, if I order a power supply from Drobo will they accept a return if that doesn't fix my 5D?
09-19-2016, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2016 04:01 PM by Paul.)
hi wfiveash, if you got a drobocare the psu might still be covered.

if not, some companies have a small% restocking charge and might refund the rest (-postage), though you may have to check with them on a case by case basis if anything like that is possible.
(other possibilities could include a refund, if you were to follow on and buy another drobo from them, but again i dont know for sure and to be honest you would need to ask the sales? team probably)

03-31-2017, 01:09 PM
I'll be brief. 5D w/ blinking green on brick. Bought new 5D and moved stack (on advice of tech-supp) works fine. Yay!

Next tried old (empty) 5D with NEW brick--smelled smoke--pulled plug.

Autopsy Report: burned (black) 'transistor' on underside of motherboard.

Anyone know where to get a motherboard for Drobo 5D? Have the same issue? Know how to identify the component?

My opinion: Drobo has upgraded the MB or the PS (both?) so the "flashing green" is a fail, send it back or buy new. Don't waste time troubleshooting.
03-31-2017, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2017 04:52 PM by Paul.)
hi dbbotkin,
if i understood correctly, your older 5d stopped working, but you were able to successfully migrate your old diskpack, into a fully new 5d (including psu cable and psu brick)?

if that is the case, then it sounds like your old 5d is broken (and recommended to not use it) but it may be possible that your old psu brick and cable might still work.

im not sure about a new motherboard, but to play safe, i think it would be best to just use the new 5d with its new psu/brick (like you probably are currently with your diskpack), and if you wanted a 2nd working drobo, it would probably be best to buy another 5d new (with its own new psu and brick)

(some people might be more comefortable to try and fix things and solder replacement components onto the circuit board, and the board itself might have an identifier code on it, but am not an electronics expert myself - food eating expert maybe). Smile

04-03-2017, 09:47 AM
(03-31-2017 04:51 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi dbbotkin,
if i understood correctly, your older 5d stopped working, but you were able to successfully migrate your old diskpack, into a fully new 5d (including psu cable and psu brick)?
Thanks Paul!
Yes, I moved the diskpack to a brand new Drobo 5D. (I ran the software and firmware update first as suggested by Drobo) Powered up and was working right away.

As for the 'dead' 5D, I have some experience in component-level repair for older IC's and transistors and this one is easily accessible. The problem is that it is too badly burnt to read. If someone has has a board, I'd be grateful for
a photo.
04-03-2017, 01:44 PM
ah thanks, please hang in there in case some others can help with that, though am glad you were able to access all data again with the migration Smile

04-30-2017, 11:43 PM
I'm having this same problem. I push on the power button on my 5D for a good solid second and see all the lights come on, but when I release the button they just turn off and the Drobo does not start up. Tried it a few times and no luck.

I have already replaced the power bar about a year ago and am pretty sure it is still good.

On a "hunch", I unplugged the Thunderbolt cable and then pressed the power button. The Drobo succeeds in powering up!! I then plug the Thunderbolt cable back into my running MacPro (late 2013) and it sees the drive. All is well.

I have repeated this several times and now conclude my problem is the Drobo won't boot up when it is plugged into my running MacPro. I have not tried USB 3 yet to see it is is the same. Don't have another Thunderbolt cable to try to see if mine is a bad cable.