Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Time machine wanting to create a new backup
04-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Time machine wanting to create a new backup
I was trying to use Time Machine to back up my Mac to my Drobo 5N and got the following message.

Quote:Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on "Drobo 5N". To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.

Click Start New Backup to create a new backup. This will remove your existing backup history. This could take several hours.

Click Back Up Later to be reminded tomorrow. Time Machine won’t perform backups during this time.

I would like to not have to create a new backup.

My Drobo is running firmware version 3.2.2 [8.57.73889]. I have Drobo Dashboard 2.6.7 [73748] running on Mac OS X 10.10.3 [14D136].
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2015, 02:19 PM
RE: Time machine wanting to create a new backup
You don't have a choice, I'm afraid, if you want to continue using the 5N as a destination for Time Machine backups. As the error message says, Time Machine has done a sanity check of your existing backups and has found an inconsistency that it can't repair so it has to start over from scratch. This was probably caused by the previous incremental backup being interrupted part way through. This is most likely to happen if your Mac connects to your network by WiFi rather than a cabled connection. My advice is to use an Ethernet cable whenever possible. It's much faster and vastly more reliable.

It's a detail from the central span of a brick skew arch bridge built by the Midland Railway in c. 1875 to carry the Dudding Hill line across the Paddington arm of the Grand Union canal in west London.
10-26-2016, 09:44 AM
i have had this two times now in 1 year on my drobo 5N

"Time Machine completed a verification of your backups. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup"

This didn't happen before, when i used a single USB HDD. Now with my drobo 5n already twice since install. What's causing this? and how to prevent it?
10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
(just linking your other post)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-13-2016, 01:29 PM
ok so now it has happened 3 times to me in one and a half year, so approximately every six months my backup on the drobo 5N fails and i need to restart a fresh backup of over 2tb witch takes days btw. making back ups is why i got a drobo in the first place, but it fails and keeps failing! stupid product
12-31-2016, 01:54 AM
ok so this happened 13th of december, and now on 31st of december again! just two weeks after a fresh backup time machine has to create a whole new backup AGAIN. DROBO SUCKS!!!! but i have no alternative unless i spend another 500 bucks. i want my money back stupid drobo