Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2nd gen drive removal
03-22-2015, 08:29 AM
2nd gen drive removal
HI

I have a 2nd gen with the following 2+2+3+3 TB Drives installed, the systems holds all my iPhoto & iTunes files I run it from there I want to remove 1 of the 3Tb drive and install it into another unit to hold a backup copy of my iTunes & iPhoto.

can this be done and how?

thanks

Terry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2015, 09:41 PM
RE: 2nd gen drive removal
If I understood what you are explaining, no, you can't.

The array/volume is loaded as a (disk)pack. You can't take one of the drive out and insert it into another Drobo unit or a USB dock and expect you could mount the volume and see some data in it.

I don't think it is advisable to remove any drive, unless your usage is fairly low (e.g. 50% used).
If your intention is to use one of the drives to be inserted into another Drobo unit, you would have to connect both Drobo devices to your Mac and transfer the data manually.
Also, please have at least 2 drives inserted into any Drobo units.
03-22-2015, 10:25 PM
(03-22-2015 09:41 PM)KelvinY Wrote:  If I understood what you are explaining, no, you can't.

The array/volume is loaded as a (disk)pack. You can't take one of the drive out and insert it into another Drobo unit or a USB dock and expect you could mount the volume and see some data in it.

I don't think it is advisable to remove any drive, unless your usage is fairly low (e.g. 50% used).
If your intention is to use one of the drives to be inserted into another Drobo unit, you would have to connect both Drobo devices to your Mac and transfer the data manually.
Also, please have at least 2 drives inserted into any Drobo units.

I want to reformat the 3tb i pull out and place it into another NAS
03-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Yes you could do that. Still, as I had mentioned, please ensure your usage is fairly low before removing it.