Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
upgraded good drive, new drive marked flashing red
01-26-2017, 05:42 AM
RE: upgraded good drive, new drive marked flashing red
Hi Paul, it is a Drobo FS, dashboard is 2.8.5, I can't even get access to the Drobo to see which firmware it is on but whenever it says to upgrade it I do it. I'm working on a Mac.

The dashboard cannot see it, it's in Finder but when selected the Drobo it says connection failed. There are two bays flashing red, I have tried the new drive in both. When I put the new drive in the first bay after it spun up all drives except the other flashing red drive flashed orange, I assumed this was the data rebuild starting. When I came back 10mins later the failed drives were flashing red and all the others were green.

(01-25-2017 07:13 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi bbridge, can i check which drobo you have and which firmware and dashboard versions you are using, and also which computer system when you get a chance?

if your drobo currently does not show up on the computer, is dashboard still able to see it?
(is it also only orange that the drive bays are flashing, or is there any green as well, such as when the drobo is rebuilding it usually flashes yellow and green (or amber/orange/yellow and green)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2017, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2017 02:49 PM by Paul.)
thanks for the info,
if you updated regularly, then it might be that you are already on the latest official firmware of Drobo Firmware: Version 1.2.7

can you remember if you were using single SDR drive redundancy, or dual DDR? (and also if dashboard was able to see the drobo before this flashing drives issue?)

if you were using DDR, there might be a way to try removing the 2 flashing red drives, only leaving the others inside, but could you try the below first if you can?

am not sure if you have already tried some reboots, but maybe this could help:
to try shutting down the computer, and then waiting a few minutes, and then removing the network cable from the drobo
and then waiting a few more minutes to see if the drobo ultimately goes into standby mode, or it it remains as is?
if it remains as is, then to wait another 5 minutes and then to power down the drobo and to wait another 5 minutes before powering the drobo on again.

how does the boot up sequence go? (does it boot up as normal and then end up going into standby?) does it boot up and then end up in the current state with 2 drives flashing red?

(in case it seems to hang on the blue led sequence, from 1 through to 10 lights, please give it extra time here)

then if you power up the computer, and once that is running, to recheck the firewall permissions mentioned in step 8 here: https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01820
(just in case a firewall change too place before)

and then to try connecting the drobo to your mac again (assuming the computer is directly connected to the drobo)
how are things now?

(if the drobo was connected via some other devices, please could try a direct connection just to see if it helps dashboard locate it too)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-26-2017, 05:33 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2017 06:04 AM by bbridge.)
Sorry it's taken a while to reply, have had my Mac in for an SSD installation and just got it back. SO from what I can see

Firmware is - 1.2.7 [4.45.10288]
Dashboard version is 3.0.0 [88901]

I've now hooked up the Drobo to my PC directly as it was just on the network before. I've also inserted back both the failed drives. So now it's connecting at least. I was getting an error on the Mac "The operation can’t be completed because the original item for can’t be found." so I had to relaunch finder to get it connecting. Now I can connect to the Drobo and although a little slow I can see all my files. Hopefully this should be ok just to a point where I can get them off this Drobo and on to something else. Thanks for the help.

(01-27-2017 02:47 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the info,
if you updated regularly, then it might be that you are already on the latest official firmware of Drobo Firmware: Version 1.2.7

can you remember if you were using single SDR drive redundancy, or dual DDR? (and also if dashboard was able to see the drobo before this flashing drives issue?)

if you were using DDR, there might be a way to try removing the 2 flashing red drives, only leaving the others inside, but could you try the below first if you can?

to try shutting down the computer, and then waiting a few minutes, and then removing the network cable from the drobo
and then waiting a few more minutes to see if the drobo ultimately goes into standby mode, or it it remains as is?
if it remains as is, then to wait another 5 minutes and then to power down the drobo and to wait another 5 minutes before powering the drobo on again.

how does the boot up sequence go? (does it boot up as normal and then end up going into standby?) does it boot up and then end up in the current state with 2 drives flashing red?

(in case it seems to hang on the blue led sequence, from 1 through to 10 lights, please give it extra time here)

then if you power up the computer, and once that is running, to recheck the firewall permissions mentioned in step 8 here: https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01820

and then to try connecting the drobo to your mac again (assuming the computer is directly connected to the drobo)
how are things now?

(if the drobo was connected via some other devices, please could try a direct connection just to see if it helps dashboard locate it too)

Also to add it's still not accepting new drives at all. I bought a new 4TB of Amazon and a 2TB locally in SG. Neither have worked when i've put them in, the drives still flash red....

(02-26-2017 05:33 AM)bbridge Wrote:  Sorry it's taken a while to reply, have had my Mac in for an SSD installation and just got it back. SO from what I can see

Firmware is - 1.2.7 [4.45.10288]
Dashboard version is 3.0.0 [88901]

I've now hooked up the Drobo to my PC directly as it was just on the network before. I've also inserted back both the failed drives. So now it's connecting at least. I was getting an error on the Mac "The operation can’t be completed because the original item for can’t be found." so I had to relaunch finder to get it connecting. Now I can connect to the Drobo and although a little slow I can see all my files. Hopefully this should be ok just to a point where I can get them off this Drobo and on to something else. Thanks for the help.

(01-27-2017 02:47 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the info,

how are things now?

02-27-2017, 04:30 PM
thanks for the info, thats great you can access things again,

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-01-2017, 04:58 AM
Sorry one more point if you have any ideas. Both drives I bought still flash red when inserted where old drives have failed. Is there anything I can try to get these working?

(02-27-2017 04:30 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the info, thats great you can access things again,
03-01-2017, 02:47 PM
oh sorry i missed that in the above post... do you have any more about the model and firmware of the 2 drives you got which do not appear to be working?

(like on page one firestrm menitoned some extra details about the hitachi one they had a problem with, and any other info could be useful too)

some other users have mentioned they have working 3tb and a 6tb drive in theirs, so the fs must be able to support more drives but officially 4TB is the limit for example as mentioned here: https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01124
(someone else i think mentioned a problem with a particular 3TB seagate barracuda though, and in any model the segate archive drives, like 8TB or SMR drives are not supported)

with this in mind, it could be that the drives they sent you are still possibly having "something" wrong with them that the drobo is not accepting, but another thing you could do would be these:

- to try scanning with the WD tool (which is called Data Life Guard) on the new drives, 1 at a time, in a standalone usb caddy or something similar (non-drobo), and to run the smart test, and then quick test, and then full test, and to compare the smart values before and after (or to see if it passes the test too)

- or also when you finish copying off your data from the drobo and are happy with the successful copy, another thing you could do is to try resetting the drobo and setting it up from scratch with those 2 new drives, just in case a full reset can fix the issue.