Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
upgraded good drive, new drive marked flashing red
03-04-2015, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2015 11:51 AM by ehula.)
upgraded good drive, new drive marked flashing red
I have a Drobo-FS with 4-4TB drives and 1-2TB drive. All drives are healthy. 2TB drive was marked amber -- space getting low.

I popped out the 2TB drive. That bay became marked red. I popped in a new 4TB drive. It was immediately marked with a flashing red light. I tried restarting from Dashboard. After the reboot, the new drive was still flashing red. Drobo Dashboard was no longer able to see the FS. I tried one more time to reboot the FS by using the rocker switch on the back. Still flashing red. I left it overnight.

In the morning, the new 4TB drive was still flashing red, so I popped it out and popped the good 2TB drive back in. It is now marked solid red. Drobo Dashboard still can't see the FS.

Should I try the 4TB drive again? I understand it is permanently flagged bad by Drobo. Is it really bad? Should I try to exchange the 4TB drive for another new one and try again?

Why is the old 2TB drive now marked solid red?

Why can't Drobo Dashboard see the FS?

I can ssh into the FS if that is helpful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: upgraded good drive, new drive marked flashing red
Turns out it was a bad drive! Got a replacement and everything is just peachy!
04-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Turns out it wasn't a bad drive. I have now had the same problem with three new 4 TB drives. This is what happens:

1. Pop out the 2 TB drive marked amber.
2. Drive bay now marked red.
3. Pop in the new 4 TB drive.
4. After a few minutes, drobofs goes into data protection mode.
5. After 1 1/2 hours, new 4 TB drive marked flashing red -- bad.

Can someone please help!?
04-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Have the same trouble.
Still working on it.
06-19-2015, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2015 11:13 PM by firestrm.)
I'm stuck here two... My Drobo-FS is 4x 2TB Hitachi Drives. All drives are fine I just wanted to upgrade them to 4x 4TB Hitachi drives. Pulled a drive popped in a new one. I ran flashing Green and Yellow for about 30 mins then marked the new drive flashing red. I thought ok...I tried one of the others, I got the same exact thing.
06-20-2015, 12:50 PM
hi guys,
for all of you having this problem, is it possible to get some more info about the drives models/makes whenever you have a moment, along with your drobo/dashboard/firmware versions? ideally if a 4tb drive is valid it should work fine but i think it will be useful info all round, just in case theres a particular pattern forming...

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
06-20-2015, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2015 12:08 AM by firestrm.)
(06-20-2015 12:50 PM)Paul Wrote:  just in case theres a particular pattern forming...

Sure...As you have gathered, I have a Drobo FS
Dashboard = 2.5.2 [64171]
Drobo FW Level = 1.2.6 [4.44.64324
Current 2TB Drives = WD 7200RPM SATA (M/N - WD2003FYYS-05T8B0)
Replacement 4TB Drives = Hitachi 7200RPM SATA (M/N - HUS724040ALE640)

My process so far has been to remove the bottom drive, let the Drobo recognize the loss and level out. Then I insert a new 4TB drive, it recognizes the drive and begins the rebuild. It will run for about 30min to an hour and then marks the drive failed and flashes red. I then removed the drive and reinserted and it recognizes the drive then just marks it dead. I then tried a different drive, again it recognized the new drive, started the rebuild then failed after ~30mins.

Last night I reinserted the 2TB drive and it rebuilt over night just fine. I'm back to a fully loaded Drobo FS with 2TB drives but I need a process to upgrade these drives that actually works. Is there a manual way from the console to upgrade the drives?
06-23-2015, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 10:55 AM by Paul.)
ok thanks for the extra info firestorm.
if you have a way to try, could you try pluggin in that 4tb hitachi into a drive caddy or separate device to try running a drive checker/scan on it? eg outside of the drobo, maybe trying one of its manufacturer utils (or another one) just to see in case there are any smart issues or bad sectors?

(i use wdutil from western digital to surface scan my WD drives - but it might work on other makes too)

stal has another thread here so just asked for a status update in case fixed:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
01-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Did anyone have an update that resolved this please? I've just tried replacing a WD 2TB with a WD 3TB and when the new disk spun up the light flashed red. I returned the disk to Amazon and bought a 2TB and have just put that in, lights started to flash orange for 10 seconds or so and then back to the new drive bay flashing orange... total storage is showing full and I cannot access the data on Drobo. Help please!
01-25-2017, 07:13 PM
hi bbridge, can i check which drobo you have and which firmware and dashboard versions you are using, and also which computer system when you get a chance?

if your drobo currently does not show up on the computer, is dashboard still able to see it?
(is it also only orange that the drive bays are flashing, or is there any green as well, such as when the drobo is rebuilding it usually flashes yellow and green (or amber/orange/yellow and green)?