Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
6T drives in Drobo Gen2
02-20-2015, 10:01 AM
6T drives in Drobo Gen2
I looked at one of the Drobo KB pages and it showed 32T for some Drobos, and had a separate listing for the Gen2 but no 6T love as near as I could tell.

So will the Gen2 play nice with 6T drives?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2015, 06:40 PM
RE: 6T drives in Drobo Gen2
I think they will work, but you wouldn't want to use them.

The Gen2 is pretty slow when it comes to rebuilds. I would imagine a rebuild involving 6TB drives would take days.

I believe the Gen2 listed 16TB as the max the chassis could address.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
03-04-2015, 06:27 PM
RE: 6T drives in Drobo Gen2?
Thanks for the reply.

As I have a Gen 2, I'm familiar with lengthy rebuild times. I'd rather use a 6T drive than buy a new Drobo though. Adding a 4T drive does take a few days to settle in. Since I can still add and access data during the rebuild process, time isn't a really an issue.

I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean Dashboard won't give me accurate information if I add a 6T drive? Does it mean that if there are 3x4T and 1x6T that it will only see 4x4T? That would suck.

Drobo hasn't been very forthcoming in providing information. Maybe I'll have to start a ticket.

Thanks again for your response.
03-05-2015, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 09:58 PM by mgriffin34.)
RE: 6T drives in Drobo Gen2
It's this article. Each chassis has a limit to the amount of disk space it can address.

Strangely, the Gen2 isn't on the list.

http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/506

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
08-28-2015, 08:59 PM
RE: 6T drives in Drobo Gen2?
(03-04-2015 06:27 PM)MacGui Wrote:  Thanks for the reply.

As I have a Gen 2, I'm familiar with lengthy rebuild times. I'd rather use a 6T drive than buy a new Drobo though. Adding a 4T drive does take a few days to settle in. Since I can still add and access data during the rebuild process, time isn't a really an issue.

I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean Dashboard won't give me accurate information if I add a 6T drive? Does it mean that if there are 3x4T and 1x6T that it will only see 4x4T? That would suck.

Drobo hasn't been very forthcoming in providing information. Maybe I'll have to start a ticket.

Thanks again for your response.

Actually yeah, since you will need 2x any drive to expand the array, so if you were to add a 6 TB drive to the Drobo it would see it as a 4 TB until you added another 6 TB drive. If its able to draw the power needed to use the the drives in the first place without any issues.

A lot of time you can find out how drive layouts will look on the main page of Drobo using the capacity calculator.