Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5D New Drives Continue To Fail
01-19-2015, 12:15 PM
5D New Drives Continue To Fail
My Drobo 5D had three 4TB drives and two 3TB drives installed, as well as the mSATA SSD. Last month I installed a brand new Seagate 5TB (ST5000DM000) drive in bay 3, allowed the system to rebuild, and then installed another identical 5TB drive in bay 4. Almost immediately fter the system completed it's rebuild, one of the new 5TB drives failed. I replaced it with the old 3TB, and then just days later the other new drive failed.

I had both drives replaced under warranty, installed one, and gave it a few weeks before installing the second. Everything seemed fine. I installed the second new drive, and less than a week later it failed as well. As of this writing, the first replacement drive is still working fine.

Seeing as I've never had a drive fail prior to this, having three new drives fail so quickly leads me to believe it's possible the Drobo is having an issue with these drives. Is there any way to determine what's causing these drives to fail so I don't have to continue replacing them?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2015, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 04:11 PM by mgriffin34.)
RE: 5D New Drives Continue To Fail
I had a batch of 4x 4TB WD Red's fail in 90 days.

It happens. Conditions on the assembly line when drives are built has a huge effect.

I adopted a practice I used to use when I worked in a data center. Before drives go into my Drobo, they get stress tested for 24 hours in a dock. Also, I make sure all like-drives have the same firmware before inserting them.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply