Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Constant drive activity
01-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Constant drive activity
Have a fresh Drobo Gen 3. Installed 2x4TB drives. Created a volume and formated HFS+ (on a Mac) via Drobo Dashboard. Copied ~175GB to the volume. After the copy, I can hear the drives constantly seeking. Lights on the Drobo never dim to indicate sleeping. Disk activity in Activity Monitor indicates very little disk IO for the Mac. Performance load in Drobo Dashboard indicates 0 for IOPS and both throughputs. This has been continuous for about a day now. Any thoughts?

- iMac 5K Quadcore i7
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
- 8 GB RAM
- 1 TB Fusion Drive
- Drobo Gen 3
- 2 x 4TB HGST drives product ID: HDN724040AL

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2015, 07:00 PM
RE: Constant drive activity
I'd be interested in knowing the answer as mine -- with 4X2TB drives does the same thing. Even when the Drobo is disconnected from the computer, the drives constantly seek, and they have been doing this continuously for several *days*! Only shutting down the unit stops it.
01-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Your Drobo will (and is supposed to) 'thrash' for a while after a large amount of data is copied/deleted.

Drobo does a bunch of behind the scenes housekeeping. It will stop after it's internal processes with the data are complete.

There is no i/o because all the activity is internal to the Drobo.

Especially with new disks/volumes, Drobo does background disk checks. With large amount of data, it does Data Scrubbing.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
01-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Question RE: Constant drive activity
mggriffin34 said: "Your Drobo will (and is supposed to) 'thrash' for a while" & " It will stop after it's internal processes with the data are complete."

And how many weeks will that take? ;-)
01-28-2015, 11:00 AM
(01-25-2015 12:55 PM)gold47 Wrote:  And how many weeks will that take? ;-)

In my experience, forever. Now I've never tried just copying something to the Drobo and leaving it there. I update files daily, and the Drobo busily makes backup copies and removes the copies of the old files that aren't there any more. It seems to be doing something all the time because the performance priority is placed on servicing the host computer, the tidying up activity seems to work in small chunks in the background all the time.

That's why Drobos don't like desktop hard drives. They expect you to pay a little more for the drives that can work away 24x7 because that's the way the device uses drives.
03-15-2015, 04:46 AM
Hi,

I understood the fact Drobo is doing housekeeping ; mine, a 5D, is in another room thus I’m looking for a terminal command (I’m on Mac and TOP does not report on disk activity) or method to monitor whether it’s busy doing its stuff or not.
Any idea ?
Thanks!
03-16-2015, 06:25 AM
All of the activity on the disks is internal to the Drobo. There is no terminal command that will show you anything since nothing is being done on the host.

This assumes you mean when you aren't actively copying/moving/deleting files.

Even when your data is 'stable', it can start activity at any time. I believe that Drobo runs some version of 'periodic' at intervals.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD