Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gen3 power supply or firmware issue?
01-14-2015, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 01:16 PM by spepin.)
Gen3 power supply or firmware issue?
Bought a new Gen3 from the drobo store. Migrated my four identical Seagate ST2000VX000 drives from my Gen1. They worked perfectly well in the Gen1, but I just wanted to take advantage of the increased USB3 speeds. It seems that there is either a power supply capacity issue, or the firmware of the Gen3 needs a bit of a tweak. Upon power up, the Gen3 spins all four drives up simultaneously, then after initializing, it spins them all back down and brings them back up one at a time sequentially. The problem is that initial simultaneous spin-up. It's killing the start-up process. It will power the drives up, then a second later the whole thing shuts down (everything goes dark). Several seconds later, it tries again. Sometimes, it will get lucky and pull through to continue the boot process. Once powered up, it will run fine for days on end.

In order to be able to power it up without any issues, I have to undock a drive, power it up, and then reinsert the drive after the others have done their initial spin-up. This eliminates the overload condition.

The drives pull up to 2A max at power up, so attempting to pull all drives up at the same time would easily overload the 7A power supply and cause it to go into protect. My Gen1 never did this, and it worked fine for many years on it's smaller 6.7A power supply. Because the Gen1 would not spin them all up together. The PS with my Gen3 is an FSP (Sparkle Power) model FSP084-DIBAN2. Even if I were running a set of new, more efficient drives it might not make a difference. The WD Red NAS drives (2TB) will draw up to 7.6A when all four are spun up together. The 2TB WD Green drives are the same.

I'm curious if anybody else has a similar issue, and what power supply your Gen3 came with. I'm wondering whether I made the right move in upgrading to the Gen3 at this point.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2015, 08:10 PM
RE: Gen3 power supply or firmware issue?
Hello spepin,

Upon migrating the drives over from your GEN 1, can you confirm that you were on the latest firmware 1.3.8? Please see the following KB article, advising to be on 1.3.8 when migrating from a GEN 1.

http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/det...http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/274/kw

I would recommend collecting a set of logs and having it reviewed by support,as the original pack was created on an older GEN 1 firmware. There are times when the GEN 1 migration can be tricky, and it is sometimes easier to back up all the data and copy it over to the new GEN 3 on a new disk pack that was created with the GEN 3 firmware. Definitely confirming what firmware version was running on the GEN 1 will be key here.

Drobo Support
01-21-2015, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2015 07:34 AM by spepin.)
RE: Gen3 power supply or firmware issue?
(01-15-2015 08:10 PM)ConnectedDataMod Wrote:  Hello spepin,

Upon migrating the drives over from your GEN 1, can you confirm that you were on the latest firmware 1.3.8? Please see the following KB article, advising to be on 1.3.8 when migrating from a GEN 1.

http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/det...http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/274/kw

I would recommend collecting a set of logs and having it reviewed by support,as the original pack was created on an older GEN 1 firmware. There are times when the GEN 1 migration can be tricky, and it is sometimes easier to back up all the data and copy it over to the new GEN 3 on a new disk pack that was created with the GEN 3 firmware. Definitely confirming what firmware version was running on the GEN 1 will be key here.

Drobo Support

The migration has nothing to do with the issue here, but yes -- the new one was at the current version. The issue here has everything to do with the fact that the Gen3 initially spins up ALL drives together -- 8A worth of current, and tries to do that with a power supply only capable of supplying 7A max. The Gen1 did NOT do this, and for the firmware to be written to power up this way is a very entry level mistake. Keep in mind that I already have a support incident open over this issue - this is just a post to see if anybody else has experienced this issue. And, yes -- I did already provide diagnostic logs for the support team. It's already been escalated to tier 3 support, but even at that level, they seem to be missing the most basic point -- that you can't simultaneously spin up 4 drives that each draw 2A at power up on a 7A supply. I expected much more of a company who has shown incredible engineering capacity for many years. I'm about to give up on the Gen3 and just continue to use my trusty Gen1. The extra speed of USB3 isn't worth what is turning out to be a very poor customer support experience. To make matters worse, I've returned both my original Gen3 as well as the first replacement which was a used unit with plenty of signs of wear. I have provided tracking info, as well as proof of delivery, yet they still keep sending me emails "reminding" me to send my unit in. Unbelievable! I've been a huge supporter of drobo over the years, but this will likely be the last time I purchase from a company with such poor customer support.
(01-15-2015 08:10 PM)ConnectedDataMod Wrote:  Hello spepin,

Drobo Support

By the way, regarding the migration of data from Gen1, yes I did follow the KB when I initially made the move, and everything went smooth in that regard. I have no problem accessing my data once the unit is powered up. It's just that initial power up that is a problem. If I eject a disk during that initial part of the sequence and then reinsert it, the startup continues with no problems and the unit will run indefinitely with no other issues.