Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Drobo 5n shows the storage space that you have on Dashboard only Not on the map drive
06-04-2015, 01:10 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 10:47 AM by matthewmccann.)
Lightbulb RE: Drobo 5n shows the storage space that you have on Dashboard only Not on the map drive
I get a drobo 5n and I been using it for about 2 weeks. but when I add my space to my drobo 5n 2.0TB and I setup my map drive to all my users we have like 28 users about when I map a drive to the drobo 5n it show me that it says 16TB I know that is not the right space because I go on the drobo dashboard shows me I have 2.0TB I hope there will be feature soon for that. But I did try to limit the space but it only can be limit by volumes. so that did not work as well. so I hope they will make a feature to limit space by users & and make it so the map drive will show the same space as the drobo dashboard because it is very hard to have all the users on a network that confusing to understand. I almost had a user take up a 1.3TB of the drobo 5n because it show them on the map drive it haves 16 TB but I only have 2.0TB. so I can't limit the space by user. see how hard that can be. So really help that they will add this features please !. I like your products I like how the drobo 5n work for the my hard drives in a raid system !!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2015, 09:51 AM
RE: Drobo 5n shows the storage space that you have on Dashboard only Not on the map drive
hi i just had a look at this post (with lots of 1post users) Smile but while it might not be an elegant solution, could the following help in some way?

- to have a small program that captures a print screen of the drobo dashboard and saves it into a folder
- to have a small batch file that copies that picture into another folder that is within a webserver path (such as iis webserver)
- and to give the users a link to a webpage, which auto refreshes say every 60 seconds, pulling in the latest screenshot?

like i said its not elegant but it might work? Smile

(if its any consolation, even the DAS models only show the full volume capacity to the operating system as well, rather than the real available space)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
06-08-2015, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 02:40 PM by matthewmccann.)
Lightbulb RE: Drobo 5n shows the storage space that you have on Dashboard only Not on the map drive
I understand what you are saying. but with network with 25 users on the drono 5n this is no way I can limit space by user so people will not use up the hole space on the drono 5n like I said before it only show 16 Tb but I do not 16TB of space so the users on the work do not know how really space I do have they tank I have 16TB that what it shows up on the windows computer with the network map drive but I know I only have 2TB that is with Dual Redundancy. there been some time where people have most full up the hole space by thanking they have 16TB but there is not 16TB only 2TB. That why I hope that there will be a Feature so that we can get limit space by user in the drobo dashboard so when I do map a network drive to a windows system they can see the space I limit them to so they can not try to fill the hole space on the drobo 5n
06-09-2015, 12:35 PM
RE: Drobo 5n shows the storage space that you have on Dashboard only Not on the map drive
hi ok thanks for more info,
i havent used it myself but is there a way to use the windows disk quota feature when users have a home drive mapped?
the only other thing i can think of would to set up a flat file container, and assign it a drive letter - that would be real space available but they might be more prone to corruption over a network. either way if the drobo has a quota feature in future then yes it could help a lot.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)